Vegas Robaina Meastros - EMA DIC 07

asmith

I still expect the more expensive product to be of better quality. I agree that this is not always the case. That being said, I also agree that it's to each consumer to decide. My issue lies in the following. When people pay a premium on items due to brand, collectability etc. I can't blame them for having higher expectations. How would you justify the price hike? Simply saying that "here's is a vitola that doesn't exist within our regular production" does not cut it for me.

This being said, here's how I feel about RE (in general) Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. (I hope Mr. Bush is taking notes)

Just my opinion.

Completely granted - everyone's own personal opinions, and everyone's free to vote with their wallets as desired.

I just think that what you said illustrated another good point - "How would you justify the price hike? Simply saying that "here's is a vitola that doesn't exist within our regular production" does not cut it for me."

I think that because it's just that, that this is why we ONLY see the price hike as much as it is. If it was something with better/longer aged tobaccos, then we'd see a much larger price hike, like what we see with the EL lineup. Again, this may not cut it for you, but that's just how it is - there is nothing else special about these (granted, aside from certain packaging exclusives occasionally, but that's also true for all the regular stuff too).

These cigars are just maybe an opportunity for a certain marque to shine with an off-the-beaten-path vitola.

I just think that having any higher expectations of performance for the RE stuff is wrongly placed. On the ELs? Yeah, maybe, okay - but sometimes there's horrible flops there (especially over the last 4 years or so). But with the REs, all you get is a unique format that's not generally available in a non-big-five brand. That's it. Do we want them to perform higher/better, because of a slightly higher premium? Yeah, of course. We'd all like to find a diamond in the rough. But to "expect" it is going in headstrong and blind, in my thoughts anyways.

Just because an item is more expensive doesn't mean crap, in anything, let alone with Cuban cigars.

that was like watching a review taped on the set of "Das Boot".

not far wrong. looking back at the tape, i was expecting edward g robinson to walk in from the gloom with a few henchmen and beat the crap out of us. would have been a nice diversion from that dog of a cigar.

I have to say, my expectations are a bit higher. RE's are at a higher price point than regular cigars in the same format. Therefore, my expectations are higher. Also, there is a kind of "collector" feel to these, which allows Habanos S.A. to price them accordingly... but they need to know that my expectations match their asking price.

I can surely understand your perspective - I've come to look at it a bit differently. The regional distributors foot the bill for their respective regional releases,

so I can understand a slight premium to cover expenses and make a reasonable profit. As we've seen with the RA Celestailes Finos and now the PL Encantos,

they don't have to be priced extravagantly to work for all concerned (and I know we have a merchant or two to thank for helping in that regard).

But past that, my expectations are simply that they should be good cigars. There are no claims that they are made with better or special tobacco. The sizes

are unique within the respective line, and the blends may or may not be, but other than that - cigars.

As for collectibility, the unique sizes may make them attractive to collectors, but again, beyond that......

Wow that was a lot of fun reliving that evening on the deck!

Smithy, you deserve and academy award for that editing performance!

Lisa, once again so sorry for being late as hell that night.

Hilarious.

Hmm - I love this cigar. One of the best I have ever had out of 2 boxes now.

rob brouight a trini short fat robusto, or whatever you call them, around last night. we both enjoyed them yet i believe they were bagged in a recent vid review. just shows how things can vary. if you have a good box of something, especially something like this, half your luck.

rob brouight a trini short fat robusto, or whatever you call them, around last night. we both enjoyed them yet i believe they were bagged in a recent vid review. just shows how things can vary. if you have a good box of something, especially something like this, half your luck.

That goes for all of habanos. One day in the next 15 years or so they will get it right......maybe

THEY COULD BE THE BEST IN THE WORLD! I spend a fortune on them every year but I have to agree with everything ZD said in the earlier days about the cubans. Ever go to cozumel and eat at a restaurant or buy something the locals made there? That QC would be an improvement. I can buy a piece of **** $2 fuente (although taste bad because of the raw materials) that is as good of construction and taste consistency that would give the BHK or any other line a run for its money.

We pay too much for this stuff to be this inconsistent.

IMHO the only way to enjoy your habanos at a higher rate than say half of the box is to age everything a good 3+ years and dry them out.

I feel the best all around consistency right now is SLR, RG and RA

R