Blind Cigar Tasting Competition Thread: Cigar Number 3,

El Presidente

Mystery Blind Taste Cigar #3

4/28, 4:30 PM, 91 degrees fahrenheit

Phoenix, Arizona

Paired with a 10 yr old Tawny Port

Vitola- Piramide.

Colorado wrapper, silky to the touch.

Aroma at cold - Spice, nutmeg and tea leaves.

Draw - Good. Slight resistance which is how I like it.

1/3 - Chocolate right off the bat. Burn was great with a dark grey ash. Just under medium. Went into toasted tobacco.

2/3 - The burn is good but slightly off. Has some cocoa notes and toasted tobacco.

Final 3rd - Had some brief hints of dark chocolate but didn't last long. I had some leather in there as well. Medium body.

Had a short finish probably due to the age. The first 2 thirds were pretty good and I think this could turn into a real nice cigar with some time. I'd rate it at an 88.

Although there's not as many choices with the piramide, I found this very difficult because of the similarities between all of them. Fairly certain it was cuban, and I think I tasted spices, earth, leather and some cream.

I would probably have a better chance picking the right one with a dice.

I would probably have a better chance picking the right one with a dice.

Exactly my thought. I was between 2 or 3 cigars on this one. The short and sweet: Medium body, slight spices, sweet cookie, toasty tobacco and pencil shavings/mild anise flavor towards the end. I must have a totally different specimen because there was no chocolate to be found in my profile.

Third time's the charm, eh?

Very puzzling indeed and it didn't get easier when smoking with friends also enjoying the same mystery cigar. Even the cold aroma was totally different between specimens!

Smooth draw, silky wrapper and a sweet cold aroma. Felt familiar and promising. After lit up the sweetiness was replaced with very woody and pepperish aromas and a hint of roasted coffee. Ok, this is it. But the 2nd 3rd gave me some cream and latte and suddenly I wasn't so sure about it anymore... The 3rd round went bitter so nothing new there. Not so strong overall, medium body. Solid 80ish :(

PM sent, fingers crossed!

3rd cigar 

1st- strong pepper through the nose very earthy & spicy medium full.

This is a well made cigar!

2nd - more earthy tobacco flavors with a small flash of chocolate.

3rd more strong earthy tobacco dominated the final third

This is a well made cigar, it really held a very long ash.

On my final cigar, I'm 100% sure this time!

D-

Mine was nicely constructed... sporting a colorado claro hue. End complements here!

I can't identify **** cigars, cause I don't normally smoke **** cigars. This was another fine sample of a **** cigar. Thankfully I was entertained while smoking it, shooting at squirrels and gofers in my yard. Even my grandkid Dev, said, "... doesn't really look like you are enjoy'n that cigar Ray!" He was right. I finally tossed it into the creek bed and concentrated on the rodents.

What the hell, I had a good day at rodent kill, it was not a total loss.

The fact is that I don't smoke many piramides either. I swore off them around the early part of the last decade and picked up a few in '07 and '08 when I thought they were coming around. I have had some okay M-2's from '08 that were at least above average but if this is another '10 year cigar, I am gonna' call that year a wash for me. I have no need to try another. Life is too short to smoke **** cigars.

Yuk! -Piggy