'Beyond the Fringe'

Torontonian

‘Beyond the Fringe’ was a two-act late-night comedy revue that debuted in London, on May 10, 1961. It featured the talents of four up-and-coming comedians: Alan Bennett, Peter Cook, Jonathan Miller, and Dudley Moore. They made do with a barebones set and a few simple props. Anything further would’ve been superfluous. It wasn’t exactly highbrow stuff – comedy very rarely is – but it was more sophisticated than the run-of-the-mill routines.

Anyway, one (and only one) of their performances was recorded for posterity. And after recently watching the almost two-hour show, my jaw hurt from overmuch laughing – which, I think, is a good sign. Cook’s nuanced accents were hilarious, from working-class to toffee-nosed. Moore’s intermittent minstrelsy really bolstered the show overall. And Bennett and Miller were great too, of course.

They’re especially fond of language jokes: amphibolies, puns, equivocation, and so on. And there’s even a philosophy sketch with a risible argument for abandoning final causality in favour of efficient: ‘Let’s say, for example, that we meet a friend . . . We don’t say to that friend “Why are you?†It’s absurd to say “Why are you?†We say “How are you?†don’t we?’

Here's a sample:

The DVD write-up calls the show, among other things, ‘irreverent.’ This seems to be one of the trendier adjectives bandied about these days, along with ‘raunchy’ (such a pleasant word). Irreverence and ribaldry are not new comedic devices, course. (Reading a little Aristophanes, for instance, will cure you of the delusion.) But today they often mask a dearth of ideas. Instead of deigning to work up good, well-wrought material, many seem content simply to be as bawdy as possible, as explicit as possible, as shocking as possible – as if doing so garnered instant comedic merit. Not so with our foursome. Here, irreverence and ribaldry are never ends in themselves. And a great deal is merely insinuated or suggested, making it even funnier. Modern comedians could learn from ‘Beyond the Fringe’ that less is often more.

classic comedy.

They've been playing some of these on the radio lately,great comedy.

I knew our British members would be familiar with the troupe. :lol: Nice to hear that they're getting some radio play. They committed more of the lengthy show to record, I think, than they did to film.

I've always enjoyed radio comedy. Now and then, when in need of a laugh, I listen to recordings of the infamous 'Goon Show.'