Behike Roundup BHK52

Cohiba BHK52
Date:April 18, 2011

Ring: 52
Length:4.7 inches

Intro.

Last week the wife and I escaped the dreary, rainy weather in Toronto and hit the sunny beaches of Mexico. This meant that ole' BW gets to eat without having to cook, drink top shelf liquor everyday and light up a cigar everyday as well. I brought the BHK family of cigars along with some others on this trip. I managed to make it through the BHK52 & BHK54. After smoking those two I wasn't sure I was ready to take on the BHK56. You'll hopefully understand why when I've posted both reviews. For now, sit and enjoy. For those that have not read my reviews here's a primer. I split it into thirds like many others do. What you read between the forward slashes are tasting notes following a puff or some general observations about .....whatever comes to mind. biggrin.gif Enjoy.

Appearance and Construction
post-6763-1303962118.jpg

Firm, no flaws or soft spots. Lighter shade of colorado wrapper, more Conneticut. Cigar springs back from a pinch. Fresh tobacco aroma with a hint of cedar. Cold draw firm but good. Shouldn't give me a headache.

First Third

Dry woodsy / Oily taste to it / Cedar / slight coffee grounds / light bitter notes / creamy taste on finish / draw is very good at this point / dry wood tastes / slight pepper / mild toasted tobacco / interesting sweetness (twang?) / medium strenght so far / burn improving / just took a sip of Havana Club 7YO (mmmm) / nice creamy smoke clouds / toast / bready / dry tanniny notes / burn going askew / walnut notes / dry fruit note / mild-medium body now / strong rich draw like a PSD4 / leather and earthy notes / light tobacco flavour / baking spice note, some nutmeg too / burn improving / dry walnut taste / dry tanniny flavours / some welcome baking spice notes / dry wood / earthy notes / sip of HC7 / nice caramel finish to subsequent puff / 1st third almost done / nutty
flavours emerge / ash falls off with a gentle tap

post-6763-1303962127.jpg

post-6763-1303962135.jpg

Second Third

conical shaped ash left over / dry nutty notes / intense spice hit with long finish / coffee ground notes / some strenght emerging from the cigar now / toasted tobacco / muted molasses notes / burn line improves greatly / slight pepper hit / woodsy earth flavours / a sip of HC7 is required at this point / two neutral draws follow..WTH? this isn't a Quintero! / slight tobacco finish / good burn / two more bland draws sad.gif / some tobacco goodness / pepper hits with odd finish / sip of HC7 / toasted tobacco / burn going off a bit / bland draw yet again, is there paper in here? / great smoke clouds now / cigar is staying lit well despite odd burn record / nutty dryness returns / OK experience cigar but not knocking me out of my socks / H20 sip now to clean the palate a bit / sweet bready notes with some walnut thrown in / nice aroma coming off the cigar / burn improving again / mellow coffee notes now / H20 sip / mellow cedar notes / so far the BHK52 is providing a nomimal ROI / coffee & anise notes / the cigar is now mild-medium in body / second third almost done I've visualize my cuttoff point / HC7 sip improves the cigar a bit / cedar and nutty notes follow / toasted tobacco / burn going askew again / anise notes / ash falls off/

post-6763-1303962148.jpg

post-6763-1303962154.jpg

post-6763-1303962161.jpg

post-6763-1303962168.jpg

Third Third

removing band to work my way to the end of this so far overblown cigar / bland draws..geez! / HC7 hit needed! / light sweet flavours now / some strength building on the finish / mellow tobacoo flavour / I want to pitch this but I'm going to be thorough in this review to the bitter or bland end / yesterday's Bolivar Gold Medal rocked the house. This? Meh / mellow earthy wood flavours / too mellow..like Culture Club opening up for Slayer / some tobacco and coffee grounds appear on the palate / peppery notes / H20 hit / mellowness returns..water perhaps? / slight anise flavours / dissappointing so far.../ burn improves though / toasted tobacco / strong tobacco kick / intense coffee ground hits / nicotine buildup getting to me perhaps? / toasted tobacco..a revival! flavour returns? / HC7 & H20 Sips to cleanse palate / coffee grounds with walnut finish / rich tobacco now but nearing end of the 3rd....go or pitch??? / more walnut / slight ammonia (reminds me of anise notes..is anise really ammonia to my palate?? hmmm... / ash does not give way with three taps..impressive..I'll keep going!! / HC7 sip / medium coffee notes / 3rd almost done / getting nicotine buzz from about the end of the 2nd..really building up.. / cigar hot on the lips now / rich pepper with nutty finish / HC7 gone sad.gif / burn is better now the ash is solid and won't tap off / earthy notes / coffee again / stop or go?? / bland draw / lady in red dress starts
to sing across the way :surprised: / cigar hot still / creamy coffee notes..nice / done..end it here..this thing is on fire! / BHK52 remnants sit in the ashtray.. I let it burn off on its' own / got the nicotine shakes....I chug some water...what a marathon../ this cigar needs more sleep I think..

END.
post-6763-1303962176.jpg

post-6763-1303962185.jpg

post-6763-1303962190.jpg

post-6763-1303962222.jpg

post-6763-1303962230.jpg

Total smoking time 90+ minutes.

Pro's

Attractive cigar. Solid construction. Very good draw. No relights needed. Solid ash, despite odd burn. Nice band. Aroma at cold is very appealing.

Con's

Bland at times. Too many times! I expect more out of such a marquee cigar. Strong nicotine buzz. Not a big fan of that.

Score 89.

Lots of room for improvement IMO. This cigar has sat in my humidor for about 5 weeks since purchase. This is my second BHK52. I had one in Sep 2010. It didn't impress me then though it was enjoyable. Same with this one. I enjoyed it but I had better cigars all week. Punch DC, Boli GM..etc. At this price point, this cigar needs to fetch me my slippers and refill my glass with Havana Club.

I hope you enjoyed this review. Look for the BHK54 review in a day or so.

BW :peace:

post-6763-1303962210.jpg

post-6763-1303962216.jpg

This is a great review. Lots of info. I really apprciate the efforts everyone puts into their reviews.

Do you think your expectations were too high given all the hype. I'm waiting for my box of 54's. I mean majority of the reviews are superiorly high. Pumping up my expectations and I fear the golden rule of "the greater the expectation the greater the disappointment"...

This is a great review. Lots of info. I really apprciate the efforts everyone puts into their reviews.

Do you think your expectations were too high given all the hype. I'm waiting for my box of 54's. I mean majority of the reviews are superiorly high. Pumping up my expectations and I fear the golden rule of "the greater the expectation the greater the disappointment"...

It's very possible. I try to be objective though. I've only smoked two of these and as standalone cigars, they're very good. But for the price point, I've smoked better. I have a box of 56's sitting in my locker which I'm going to let age. Even though my review wasn't stellar it's not like I was miserable throughout the experience. Any time I get a chance to light up a cigar is a bonus in my book. Often I find that when I'm enjoying a cigar or wine that is "high end" I have to be careful not to get carried away with the lore of the item vs it's actual performance. The BHK series to me is a once in a while pleasure. So when I light one up, it had better be great, not just good. I really think the BHK's I have just need more time in the humidor.

It's very possible. I try to be objective though. I've only smoked two of these and as standalone cigars, they're very good. But for the price point, I've smoked better. I have a box of 56's sitting in my locker which I'm going to let age. Even though my review wasn't stellar it's not like I was miserable throughout the experience. Any time I get a chance to light up a cigar is a bonus in my book. Often I find that when I'm enjoying a cigar or wine that is "high end" I have to be careful not to get carried away with the lore of the item vs it's actual performance. The BHK series to me is a once in a while pleasure. So when I light one up, it had better be great, not just good. I really think the BHK's I have just need more time in the humidor.

Thanks for that.

btw - I was looking at your pics on the iphone before and now that I am home, I see it in detail...

my gosh the construction does look very good. the oiliness is very attractive. and even smoked down to the end of the final third it is pretty sweet looking nub.

my gosh the construction does look very good. the oiliness is very attractive. and even smoked down to the end of the final third it is pretty sweet looking nub.

As for as construction goes, the BHK's are champs. I'll be putting up the BHK review by Saturday. You'll see the constructions is as striking as the 52. The only difference is the colour of the wrapper.

Great Review Frank !!! :cigar:

I just finished a BHK52 a few moments ago and loved it. Allthough I do agree a bit more age on them could improve them even more.

:2thumbs:

Great Review Frank !!! :cigar:

I just finished a BHK52 a few moments ago and loved it. Allthough I do agree a bit more age on them could improve them even more.

:2thumbs:

Thanks. Just posted the BHK54 review. Take at look if tonight LFTH left you broke. :2thumbs:

I love that review, so much detail. Isn't it hard to enjoy a cigar and take notes so it can be later transcribed into a review? But, you get out what you put in. For the love of game, brother! Great review again - enjoy rest of the box... after they sleep.

I love that review, so much detail. Isn't it hard to enjoy a cigar and take notes so it can be later transcribed into a review? But, you get out what you put in. For the love of game, brother! Great review again - enjoy rest of the box... after they sleep.

It is. I'm trying to review a cigar after I've enjoyed one or two on its' own. But since this the much vaunted "Cigar Of The Year" and it's Cuba's flagship product. It had to be done. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :cigar:

Nice review. It is nice to see a review of one of these that isn't all praise. I of course will have to purchase a box at some point to find out on my own but I think this will help lower the expectations a bit. I agree sometimes our expectations can make an expensive cigar not as good as we had read about and are hoping for which in turn disappoints us some. Hopefully these get better with age for you. Look forward to reading the other review.