Behike Roundup BHK54

Cohiba BHK54

Date:April 21, 2011

Ring Gauge: 54
Length: 6.5 inches

Intro

OK. It's been a few days since I smoked the BHK52 so now it's the 54's turn. Still in Mexico at the time. To begin a recap on my reviewing style, or lack thereof. Here's a primer. I split it into thirds like many others do. What you read between the forward slashes are tasting notes following a puff or some general observations about .....whatever comes to mind. Enjoy.

Appearance and construction.

Solid construction with one tiny soft two thirds in. Beautiful colorado wrapper. Smooth and oily in appearance and to the touch.More visually appealing than the BHK52. Visible but smooth veins. Tobacco nicely packed. Cigar passes the "pinch" test handily.Aroma at cold is chocolate and tobacco. Upon clipping the draw is excellent. The pre-light taste reminds me of Trinidad cigars. Amild sweetness, almost gingerbread like.

post-6763-1304038366.jpg

post-6763-1304038371.jpg

First Third.

Successful light, smoking this one outdoors on our suites' balcony/ great draw, easy but not a wind tunnel / earthy notes on firstthree draws / burn started well but going askew, wind is to blame I'd say. I smoked the BHK52 in the resort's cigar lounge / pepper & toast / leather and pepper / burn starts to correct itself / more pepper / cigar is hot to the touch about 1.5 inches below the burn line; impressive. Hopefully that's a good sign that I won't need to relight / more leather and pepper hints / some toasted tobacco now / medium bodied in flavour so far, but I can feel a nicotine build up in my veins / burn improving / coffee notes now / lots of nice, creamy smoke / slightly bitter and mineraly notes appear / pepper hit to the back of the throat, wow! / dry, toasty tobacco flavours with a coffee ground finish: nice / nice dark grey ash building up, was expecting a whiter ash; oh well / bitter notes now / cigar continues to draw easily / some wind picking up outside, the balcony affords us some cover / now some light rain / bitter notes on the cigar again to match the impending foul weather / toasty tobacco and coffee notes again / ash off kilter but holding / mineral notes reappear / rich tobacco hit...excellent..like espresso / coffee grounds / pepper and some nicotine punch to the face / first third almost done / burn is off but the cigar is tasty at this point, so far so good.

post-6763-1304038377.jpg

post-6763-1304038393.jpg

post-6763-1304038398.jpg

Second Third

Ash falls off with two taps / burn is almost at at 45 degree angle, I hope it doesn't canoe. Wind is to blame for sure / toasty tobacco again / some creaminess in the draw and the smoke, very smooth but with a bitter finish to keep it interesting / powerful hit of pepper and tobacco / tobacco toastiness returns / burn is correcting itself / ammonia finish off a draw...yuck../ earthy notes follow for redemption / tanniny tobacco notes / admiring wrapper..very nice..great colour! / some soft tobacco notes / leathery hints on the palate / nice creamy smoke develops / leather with coffee finish...very nice / getting a nicotine buzz at this point / smooth leathery notes follow / end of second third nears / rich tobacco, pepper and coffee finish, great trifecta from one draw! Excellent! / pepper notes followed by bitter notes and a rich floral finish...another trifecta! / rich tobacco / ash seems "weak' like it's ready to fall into my lap / ash still a dark grey colour, and "blustery" in its' appearnce / ash taps off with one try / earthy flavours / cedary notes / strong nicotine hit..getting woozy..not pairing this one with any booze BTW / take a sip of H2O to end the second third and start with a fresh palate on the stretch.

post-6763-1304038402.jpg

post-6763-1304038407.jpg

post-6763-1304038411.jpg

post-6763-1304038417.jpg

post-6763-1304038429.jpg

Third Third

Band warming up as the cigar progresses / light tobacco / earthy notes / nicotine buzz ongoing..sip more water / burn line improved / leather and coffee notes / OUT!!..I'm going to have to relights..son of a..... :tantrum: / ok..relit..with some difficulty, damn wind / light bland draw follows / some nutmeg notes..nice / some sweetness / milder in the third so far, but still buzzing / hot to the touch / earthy and "beany" flavours emerge / taking the band off / wife joins me..I light her RyJ Purito...and ask her not to blow her smoke into my path...I'm reviewing after all laugh.gif / beany flavours again.. / bland draw follows..odd :confused: / bean returns / leather with a bitter finish / bland draw / earthy notes / wood flavours / perfect burn line now / leather to bean transition / coffee grounds / pepper hits / lots of nice smoke / earthy and intense "beany" notes. I've begun to isolate that beany characteristic over the year and while the BHK54 is giving me gobs of it on the final third I must admit I really don't like the beany taste that much. For those of you who do..let me know if you get it in the BHK54 too / ash weakening / remaining cigar "spongy" to the touch / cedar notes / baking spice followup / ammonia again (too young BHK?) / beans, followed by earth / bland draw / burn going slightly off now / toasted beans - refried bean hit?? / coffee notes return to wash the beans away / good buzz going from the monster / earthy notes / toasty / slight ammonia../ the cigar goes out.. I'm done. :cigar:

post-6763-1304038436.jpg

post-6763-1304038446.jpg

post-6763-1304038451.jpg

post-6763-1304038460.jpg

post-6763-1304038465.jpg

post-6763-1304038470.jpg

Total smoking time: 90+ minutes (similar to the BHK52 but I think the wind accellerated things.

Pro's

The wrapper is more attractive than the BHK52. It looks like it came out of box of chocolates. Nice size makes for a long relaxing smoke, unless you're writing down notes for a review. Perfect construction. A good hallmark of this line so far. Lots of flavour range to this one. Better than the 52 IMO. I like a cigar that changes with every puff and every third. The blenders did a good job here.

Con's

Price I guess, but this one is better value than the BHK52 for my money. I enjoyed this one a lot more. Don't have too much bad to say. Not a big fan of the "beany" tastes. For those of you who are, the flavour is pronounced.

Score 93. :2thumbs:

This beauty was a lot more complex than the BHK52. Not the the 52 isn't good. It's just that this one showed me more. I do think both cigars will improve with time.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this review. I look forward to reading what others have to say about the BHK line. In a few weeks I'll try to wrap up the BHK line with the 56.

Cheers.

BW :peace:

post-6763-1304038383.jpg

Another great review mate.

I have 2 boxes of these resting and have resisted the urge to try one yet. Lots of beans? well I do love baked beans if thats the flavour you are refering to. I think I just might have to bust open one of my boxes soon and give it a go.

Tom

Another great review mate.

I have 2 boxes of these resting and have resisted the urge to try one yet. Lots of beans? well I do love baked beans if thats the flavour you are refering to. I think I just might have to bust open one of my boxes soon and give it a go.

Tom

Thanks. The bean taste I was getting was more like undercooked bean. A hint of it would be OK, but I found it to be very strong. I think these will age well and yield more goodness.

thanks for the review, do you know the box date?

Unfortunately no. My 54's are from two Czar BHK samplers. I have a box of 56's from OCT 2010 (TEU OCT 10). So I must assume that they're in the same range.

Great review and pics. Love the description of flavors. I've got a 6 pack of BHK 54s from the Czar and I'm waiting for the right time/weather to light one up. Although, that could be a while since Spring refuses to show its face in the upper Midwest.

Great review. Thanks.

I have 2 boxes on the way (thanks Lisa). I have high hopes of being able to resist for at least a couple of years, but I'm not noted for my patience. I probably should have ordered 4 boxes. That's the story of my life, especially where cigars are concerned.

Nice reviews, Bund. I really enjoyed reading through your experience with the 52 and then the 54. I'm happy to hear you had a much better time with the 54 and thankfully it didn't end up being underwhelming like the 52. Thanks for sharing all of your commentary and for putting up so many great pictures. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...