Final Results of the FOH Blind tasting Competition

El Presidente

excellent work keith! I missed all three! I enjoyed the PC but nothing really distinguished it for me. I guessed Upmann but wasn't surprised to see Cohiba. My Robusto was disgusting so I figured it had to be a Monte Open...never had one but it just had to be! I was 100% sure that the pyramide was an Upmann #2. I have no faith in my palate any more. My stance used to be that the various Habanos Marques were unique to a degree. I can't argue for or against that notion anymore. I will just continue smoking and enjoying...ignorance is bliss.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Keith, congratulation :D You've earned big time respect :D

As far as it goes for me, 2 out of 3 is fine, I can't complain :lol:

There is however one point I would like to make, NOWHERE in the world

would I have even guessed that the NO. 1 cigar was a Cohiba, never in a life time.

I would really be curious to know in what factory it was made. I'm 100% sure that

it wasen't at El Laguito, could be RyJ or Partagas or La Corona, ok, but sure as hell NOT El Laguito.

Anyway, it was great fun and I enjoyed every moment :)

Congrats, Keith. Amazing performance.

Although I never thought I would guess all three, my own results were negatively affected by the fact that I have neve before smoked an Epi 2 or a Diplo 2.

I truly do not believe that the difference between my take on the Dip (awful) and Rob's (sensational) is simply a difference in our palates. Mine was objectively a bad cigar with limited smoke volume and a poor burn.

I wish that the cigars chosen for this event had been more mainstream. That way fewer of us would have been blind tasting mediocre cigars we had not smoked before. I agree with the Pig.

Enjoyed participating and reading all the great reviews!

Just to add to the fun & results, I thought that it would be interesting to put

the blind tasting results in percentage.

Here I go,

In all, 58 members participated. That's 100%

Out of the 58, there were 32 members who got 0 out of 3 cigars correct, that's =55% of the participants.

Out of the 58, there were 22 members who got 1 out of 3 cigars correct, that's =38% of the participants.

Out of the 58, there were 3 members who got 2 out of 3 cigars correct, that's = 5% of the participants .

And, out of the 58, there was only 1 member who got 3 out of 3 correct, that's = 2% of the participants .

Well, I hope I got that right. :lol:

Until the next time at least. :D

I think you are being a tad harsh.

I also smoked all three cigars. Wasn't a fan of the Siglo II, the HDM Epi 2 was below other recent examples but good and the Dip 2 sensational.

When I look at the results I see some groupings. People often discussed the same flavours but went in different directions.

Young PLPC is very similar to young Cohiba Siglo II. I can understand why so many in the first result went for the PLPC. I probably would have done the same. These 2 combined were the majority pick by a mile.

Monte 2 and Dip 2 for the last. Subtle difference to many, huge difference to some. I suspect those who see a huge difference simply are attuned (taste buds) to the differences. Again, these 2 combined were the majority pick by a country mile.

HDM E2 was the majority pick. Again plenty mentioned cream, wood etc but some went for others.

Dud cigars...no doubt there were significant amongst the 180 cigars. However when someone correctly identifies a Dip 2 (breaks it down) and loves it ...while others hated it....and most inbetween, I was left thinking is there any reason everyone needs to like the same cigars from a manufacturers point of view?

Could differences in palate be far more influential than we thought? Just as influential as blend inconsistency?

I suspect so. It is the reason some people enjoy the Monte Open and I can't stand them.

That doesn't make them a good palate or bad palate just a different palate.

Keith has a great palate becasue he could identify three cigars of very differing flavours. Each flavour characteristic resonated with his palate and taste memory. He also forensically broke down his reviews and eliminated cigars one by one. He is the poster child for blend consistency and should approach HSA for sponsorship :lol:

That is what I hate about these discussions Rob... While I am comfortable in my own skin, love my tiny pets, big guns and slender cigars, I am content knowing I am outside the mainstream. It does not bother me. I have criticized my own palate many a time.

We talk of politics here at times. I am outside the box there as well. Many see the obvious path, they call an object dangerous and ignore the individual responsible party. I say prohibition is a infringement on freedom... and people say, "What!" While again this argument is outside the box there is a parallel. H SA et al is the responsible party and as usual they get a pass. Why? It seems that unless you can see it, it does not exist for some people. It would appear (literally) that if the company puts an ugly wrapper on the cigar, it is there fault. But if the cigar tastes bad it is the customers fault. The cigar is sick and gets a pass. The cigar is moist and gets a pass. The cigar is fresh and gets a pass. The cigar gets the pass and the customer the blame.

In not allowing them to take responsibility for their own product you (better to say "one" here) picks a strange bedfellow. If it is never their fault, a common belief, then it is always another party's fault. I am the obvious second party, the consumer. But there is more to it than that. I have just as much right, blaming you for selling it to me!!!! You see once the guitly party is off the hook the rest of us must accept the responsibility somewhere.

It truly is possible that some of us don't have sommelier talents. I can accept that judgment on myself. I am simple guy who likes and dislikes a lot of things. I do like a great cigar. I will accept a good cigar but reject a bad cigar. I am wiling to call any cigar, one of my own, one from you, a gift from a friend, an expensive one, or a cheap one, one of those labels. I am willing to complement both the fat and thin and deride them in the same breath. While I apparently don't know a Cohiba from a PL, I do know good from bad. I generalize a lot. I don't believe in brand profiles. I do believe the bad pile is growing and the good pile is shrinking. I am upset about it cause I have no where to turn. NC cigar are **** and Cuban cigars are getting there!

Somewhere out there is the company that used to make great cigars. I liked them anyway. They did not have to cost a $100 a stick either. It was pretty easy to find them too. You had to know a little at times. The knowledge could sometimes be used to pick the better or worse cigars. It was generalized, perhaps no better than a wives tale most of the time but it made for interesting conversation. I could buy a box of cigars like my friend had shared with me and be happy.

Where has that company gone? Do you really think they are making better cigars? I said they were in '06, '07 and '08 but while I can't judge a crop by 3 cigars, I can add it to the 100 some reviews that I have read. Saying that 55 percent of the participants that could not identify any cigars at all... some who smoke these same cigars day in and day out... that their palates are not in tune is wholly akin to validating the parking stub for the bloke that just robbed your office!

The consistency of the Cuban cigar is questionable and while my palate may be suspect, the perpetrator is H SA et al.

-:D

Congratulations Keith

Well done ,I am so jealous I wish my palate was that finely tuned :P:lol:

Will have to get of my Bum and get involved in the next one :yes:

Cheers

OZ ;)

Congrats CanuckSARTech! This was no easy task. It is very interesting that many people did get the flavor profile correct. I got a lot of the same tastes that Keith got on the Dip #2 i.e chocolate and nutmeg but since I have never had a Dip #2 I went with something I knew in the Monte #2. Not only does one's palate play an important role but experience with a particular marca should be factored in.

Yes, it seems Keith has a very tuned palate but it also seems like he has had lot's of experience with these particular cigars and how they should taste. Doesn't this support that the blends are somewhat consistent and it really comes down to one's experience with a particular cigar over a certain time frame? (As a note, I have experienced what I believe to be issue's with consistency but am willing to look at other possibilities).

Congrats CanuckSARTech!!! Nicely done.

I was smoking my 3rd cigar last night and ended up getting wrapped up in the news, forgetting to post my last guess. By the looks of it, I was dead wrong anyway.

Thanks for putting this together, Pres. It was quite entertaining. ;)

Congrats to to everyone that got it right. I just got home and didn't get a chance to submit my guess. Doesn't really matter I guess since my guess was a P2.

Hi Keith,

Congratulations! :2thumbs::D

I was impressed not only that you got ALL 3 correct, but also in the eloquent manner in which you described each tasting! It was a great read, and a good learning tool to boot.

Thank you too to the Prez and all who participated in this event.

Thank you and best wishes,

Curtiss

Nice job Keith - way to go.

Despite my poor performance (just 1 out of 3) I feel like I learned something from this and would relish the opportunity to have another go at some point. Keep 'em coming Pres!

Congrats to all that participated in this journey. Hopefully there is a next time as I was late to the party and missed out. :2thumbs: