Final Results of the FOH Blind tasting Competition

El Presidente

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an afterthought, don't think I would ever join a contest like this as I've decided to not be so cerebral with my cigars. Call me lazy.

My current frame of mind when smoking cigars have digressed, and one can call it immature:

"Me Likey" or "Me No Likey"

Keith...congratulations! All 3...that is quite an accomplishment. You have some palate. Spend the $500 as enjoy your purchases.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW!!!! Very cool. Thanks for all the best wishes and kudos, gents and ladies. I'm super pumped that I won this, and got all three right. An awesome challenge, and very generous and gracious prize, put forward by our host - a big kudos to you, Rob, for that.

Bundwallah (Frank) sent me an e-mail with this thread's link, so I was able to check it out today. I'm just at home for a quick two-day visit with the wife and little guy, who are both napping right now, so I've got a bit of a break from basic training. It's definitely kicking my arse real good, that's for sure!!!! :D

...3 out of 3 is not a guess.

One man picked through the flavour nuances of each and nailed it. He did it in a detailed manner.

Superpalate? Who knows. Very good palate indeed...

Well, that's a bit much of some praise there - definitely don't think that I've really earned that at all. And, while I really appreciate everyone's kudos on this, I think that it might have to stand the test of time, and see if I can repeat the feat in a future blind tasting contest again. I think the biggest help for me was in using the resources that I did, to sort out the potential sizing and cigar lines of the potentials and such, and to analyze and make educated guesses to help with the actual tasting aspect of things.

...Could differences in palate be far more influential than we thought? Just as influential as blend inconsistency?

I suspect so. It is the reason some people enjoy the Monte Open and I can't stand them.

That doesn't make them a good palate or bad palate just a different palate.

Keith has a great palate becasue he could identify three cigars of very differing flavours. Each flavour characteristic resonated with his palate and taste memory. He also forensically broke down his reviews and eliminated cigars one by one. He is the poster child for blend consistency and should approach HSA for sponsorship :D

Again, thanks Rob, but not sure I'm 100% worthy of that either.

However, that being said, if FOH wants to sponsor me, or vouch for me with a H S.A. sponsorship, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that! :D:D

Yes, it seems Keith has a very tuned palate but it also seems like he has had lot's of experience with these particular cigars and how they should taste. Doesn't this support that the blends are somewhat consistent and it really comes down to one's experience with a particular cigar over a certain time frame? (As a note, I have experienced what I believe to be issue's with consistency but am willing to look at other possibilities).

I think that's a huge part in this. I've had a chance, luckily enough, to taste at least a decent amount of the different varieties of cigars available from the different marques. It may have been some time between smoking some of them, but thankfully with keeping a Cigar Dossier, it's easy enough for me to flip back through my past tasting notes to see what I thought of the different stuff I've enjoyed. I too subscribe to the overall blend idea, even if there's huge opponents and counter-arguments against that, considering consistency issues and whatnot.

I would like to congratulate not only Keith for the 3 out of 3, but all the others who came so close with 1 miss. Not an easy feat.

My complete thought in this too. A lot of good competition there - a good number of people got two out of three, and that's huge also. I was pretty close to getting bested by Laficion and others too, so Lady Luck was just on my side a bit.

Thanks again, to Rob for the opportunity, and to all the other competitors that made this so fun. Can't wait for the next one!!! :D