Kenny and I go Fishing

El Presidente

A long and enjoyable day Rugby Coaching and I end up at Kens place 7:57 PM Saturday Night (My daughter was having a sleepover with friends at home and I was told my midnight nudity to get a glass of water was likely to traumatize them...get out).

Ken "Your 3 minutes early"

I knew Ken would be in a foul mood as the glorious "Reds" rugby side...pride of Queensland...had just lost. ken was ropeable.

Just as bad...another of his beloved sides in the Brisbane Lions were being mauled on the TV.

I headed out to his deck to have a cigar and a glass of wine. I had left the screen door slightly ajar...he yelled at me for letting a moth in. If Australia Zoo had as many animals living within their fences as Ken does within his house...they would be proud :2thumbs:

We had a 4:30 am start the following day and Ken checked the weather forecast for fishing.

He rails "30-40 knot winds and 4 metre swells!!!!" I GET SEASICK IN THE BATH!!!!!

I assured him it would be fine. No avail. The ranting continues as he checks the weather online weather forecast every 15 minutes. We were locked into Tuna fishing on Fly the following day and I new that guide Gavin wouldn't take us out if the weather was too poor. Still, I quite like fishing in tough weather and hadn't taken into account Kens prediliction to throwing up over the side. He managed to find some sea sickness tablets which gave me hope.

Ken packed 9pm and finally found his fishing reels under his bed (he hides them there as they are his most treasured posessions).

It was a long day and an early start. I hit the couch in Kens sleeping bag come 10pm and he looks at me as if I have three horns. ken doesn't go to bed before 1am. He shakes his head and goes to his room where he reads a book....until around 1am...I know because I am still awake.

How do I describe sleeping at Kens? The closest I can come is to take one of those soundtracks of the Amazon at night and take out the calls of the Macaw and Jaguar :D

The posssums started some time after midnight. It was a fist fight between one tribe and another which traversed the roof moved onto the outside trees and then I swear the inside of the garage. The fight was herculean reminiscent of the Clint Eastwood in "Every Which Way but Loose" as it traversed outside and inside the house.

That finished at 3am at which time I heard a massive thump on the outside **** where I suspect the resident Carpet Python was clamouring down from the deck ceiling. The creek outside was a cacophony of sound as animal after animal traversed its banks akin to the wilderbeast crossing the Zambesi.

I was up at 4:15am as was ken with a bag carrying the entire household contents + 3 rods+ reels+ another bag I wasn't sure what contained. I reminded him it was a daytrip....he ignored me.

The one and a half hour trip up to Mooloolaba was Kens dissection of the previous nights footbal but alas we finally arrived To Gavin awaiting for us. I had prayed to God to keep the weather in check and to ignore Kens anti catholic posts on FOH. He said not to worry and that I was one of his favourites :D

We really had a great days fishing albeit tough i terms of fish. The weather was excellent even taking into account the big running swell and ken kept his stomach to himself.

Thanks for the hospitality Ken....always entertaining :D

post-4-1304316945.jpg

post-4-1304316972.jpg

post-4-1304317011.jpg

post-4-1304317042.jpg

post-4-1304317065.jpg

post-4-1304317091.jpg

post-4-1304317120.jpg

post-4-1304317161.jpg

post-4-1304317184.jpg

post-4-1304317206.jpg

post-4-1304317226.jpg

post-4-1304317252.jpg

post-4-1304317281.jpg

post-4-1304317297.png

I should point out that when we broke for lunch on the boat ken slipped out two small bottles of Rum. One of Zacappa and the other of Appleton 23 year old Reserve.

The man has class :2thumbs:

it was a fabulous day, but i must say, reading the account of the night before made me wonder where rob did stay. greatest work of fiction since (perhaps i better not continue as last time i made any mention thereof, i was accused of being the reason for the floods and cyclones in qld).

and trust me, if the carpet snake had arrived, you would have known it. the wildlife does have some fun, on and in the roof, but if a carpet snake gets a possum, you could hear it miles away. that was a relatively quiet night.

fantastic fun fishing for tuna.

Sounds like a great adventure gents. Thanks for sharing it with us. Nice catches...

Ken I can't imagine what on earth Rob was carrying on about the night before? Wildlife? I guess something has to eat the 2 1/2 kilo spiders.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...