First post celebratory smoke

So I find the traditional 'introduce yourself' posts on forums a bit awkward so thought I would do something different and smoke my first ever Partagas 898 and review it!

I've been slowly introducing myself to Cubans for three years now, I needed a hobby and I don't have the willpower anymore for exercise so settled on the next best thing; smoking! I bought my Dad a sample pack of coronas for his Birthday about three years ago and saw a nice white tube with a catchy red top..hmmm Quintero...liked the name so decided to keep the stick for myself. That panatelas turned out to be a four year old stick and got my hooked. Since then I've been trying different makes and vitola, really enjoying searching for the perfect smoke. But I've never tried a Partagas nevermind the 898. I've tended to stick to Monte #3 and other similar strength cigars. Then I watched the 898 varnished video that Rob and Ken did on youtube and when Rob said it was better than sex, well I had to go pick one up and try it which I did yesterday!

Draw: actually quite tight, had to do a bit of rubbing and heavy breathing to open it up. After the first third the draw worked itself out and wasn't an issue.

Pre-light: Bit of spice and ceder

First 1/3: Started off medium with strong notes of toast (brown bread) and leather. Very pleasant.

Second 1/3: the power really started to go up another level here, full bodied, all leather and wood, a bit of spice in the background too. A very tiny amount of sweetness coming off the toast. The most overriding factor was the strength, like someone was stood behind me giving me a good punch to the back of the head, not unpleasant just nothing like I am used to.

Final 1/3: kept up the strength but no harshness of bitter flavours, the toast came back for a second appearence before the finish too.

Burn was fine all the way through, no issues at all.

Overall, I would think a great cigar for those who like full strength Cubans, for the size it was punching far above it's weight in terms of strength, like two Monte #2 wrapped together.

For my tastes at the moment I would give it an 85, purely down to the strength which I'm just not used to yet, but in terms of flavours and how I think I would be able to enjoy it in the future when more accustomed to being beaten up by a cigar I can see it getting an easy 90.

Now I just need to lay down for a while in a dark room!

Happy to have found a community of smokers even if it is online. The last shop that actually sells cubans near me shut down recently so it's just online ordered and no more face to face interaction. Unless I want to drive 1 and 1/2 hours :2thumbs:

I also noticed that in my post-898 haze I managed to post an introductary cigar review post in neither the introduction or cigar review section! Combined with somehow managing to unregister myself last night (Rob came to my aid) it's been quite a start!

Happy to have found a community of smokers even if it is online. The last shop that actually sells cubans near me shut down recently so it's just online ordered and no more face to face interaction. Unless I want to drive 1 and 1/2 hours :rotfl:

I also noticed that in my post-898 haze I managed to post an introductary cigar review post in neither the introduction or cigar review section! Combined with somehow managing to unregister myself last night (Rob came to my aid) it's been quite a start!

Welcome aboard and thanks for the review on one of my favourite cigars :2thumbs:

The Partagas 898 V can indeed be heavy going for those not acustomed to full bodied cigars. I love the richness of the 898 V and when I need a full bodied cigar it is the one I reach for time and time again.

Excellent idea for an exercise-free hobby, CaptainQuintero. I like that rationale and will now use it myself in any future questioning of what sports or hobbies are you into? ;) I don't find punches to the back of the head unpleasant either; I'd just hate to be the other guy. >_> On a serious note, nice review. Welcome aboard and well met. I've been enjoying Cuban cigars for about two years now if memory serves, probably about 15~ each year. Definitely fits into the category of 'in moderation' in my mind, but I wouldn't mind stepping it up a little bit if more of my bloody friends were cigar smokers.

In any case, enjoy the place and smoke the good smoke.

Welcome to FoH CaptainQuintero. Nice intro. The Party 898V is one of my favorite smokes as well. Hang around and enjoy the forum.

Nicely done!

You've managed to up my anticipation for the 898v to monumental proportions. I've got a jones on for that and the RyJ Cazadores. From what I'm reading, the smart money says for me to go w/ the 898v first. I've a natural predilection for that shape, and it's quickly becoming an imperative.