A NC. First in a while..

Second cigar in two nights. :D . I had one of these sitting in my humi for over a year that I felt needed smoking. No lengthy review. Started off with cocoa and chocolate hints. Lots of sweetness. Towards the end of the 1st third it started feeling strong but not tasting strong. Still, nicely balanced. Very smooth cigar. I can see why people like them. I had to stop a ways into the 2nd third and lighting and rain were about to spoil my night. So I purged and clipped it. I don't usually do that but I had no choice. I will finish it on my walk home after work tomorrow.

Cheers.

BW

Hey Frank,

I have not had one of those in a while either depsite having a box of them in the bottom of humi. Nice to hear they are smoking nicely I may have to spark one up to revisit.

Tom

Funny you should post this. Today I broke out a Opus X DC. Great aroma and predraw sweetness. Kept going out. Was sweet with some spice. 86

Frank I actually had one of these last week.

I thought it was excellent. Great change of pace cigar with a real element of class.

I can see why they're so popular and highly regarded. Up in Canada they're hard to find. If I couldn't get my hands on Cubans I'd smoke Padron's more often. There's something "buttery" about these. I have one more in a trade from Tom. I hope its as good.

Wow, it must be a NC Memorial Day weekend.

I lit up a Casa Fuente Lancero that I let sit for a year. It was pretty damn good but not $22 good, but still a nice change of pace.

Frank I actually had one of these last week.

I thought it was excellent. Great change of pace cigar with a real element of class.

It's this kind of stuff that gives me hope that good tobacco can be found in other parts of the world. That means that whenever the embargo against Cuba is lifted, the best minds from both Cuba and elsewhere will be able to work together and separately, using all available tobaccos, to come up with some truly memorable cigars. I believe the best days for cigars smokers are firmly in front of us.

Interesting you bring this up Bund, i had a 1926 anniv no.9 maduro a few months back when I was in the states. As good as it was, and It was very good, I found it hard to cough up 20$ for a single. It was good though, but the price of a box is absolutly outrageous, at that price I can buy 2 cabs of 50 party shorts! Glad I got to try one though.

Interesting you bring this up Bund, i had a 1926 anniv no.9 maduro a few months back when I was in the states. As good as it was, and It was very good, I found it hard to cough up 20$ for a single. It was good though, but the price of a box is absolutly outrageous, at that price I can buy 2 cabs of 50 party shorts! Glad I got to try one though.

Yeah, they aren't cheap. But then again, the 1964 series is one of their premium brands. The regular production cigars, the 2000's 6000's etc are cheaper. My single was $17 down in Grove City PA. The visit made it worth it to be honest. The store owner had a huge selection of stuff, obviously NC, was very friendly and knew his stuff. I walked away with about a dozen cigars of varying price. A coupe of Arturo Fuente robustos, the 1964 Padron, a few NUB cigars, which are excellent BTW. Flawless construction, razor sharp burn and very tasty. I think Oliva rolls that brand. While my CC's outnumber my NC's 10:1, I do enjoy the odd one now and then.

Yeah, they aren't cheap. But then again, the 1964 series is one of their premium brands. The regular production cigars, the 2000's 6000's etc are cheaper. My single was $17 down in Grove City PA. The visit made it worth it to be honest. The store owner had a huge selection of stuff, obviously NC, was very friendly and knew his stuff. I walked away with about a dozen cigars of varying price. A coupe of Arturo Fuente robustos, the 1964 Padron, a few NUB cigars, which are excellent BTW. Flawless construction, razor sharp burn and very tasty. I think Oliva rolls that brand. While my CC's outnumber my NC's 10:1, I do enjoy the odd one now and then.

yeah Oliva rolls the nub's. I was gifted one not too long ago, will probably bring it along with me when I go on vacation. I feel that nc's can be good, its just not fair to comapre them to cc's IMO, there are some great nc's like the padrons, ashton vsg, la aroma de cuba, oliva serie v, o and g, fuente,ect. its just a shame they are not more accesible in canada. Of course for the same price we'll reach for cc's. but if the nc's were the same price here than they were in b&m in the states like holts, i'd reach for nc's for sure. I like the my father line and the la aroma de cuba line. i'm even looking into purchasing a box of nc lancero's *gasp!*

I can see why they're so popular and highly regarded. Up in Canada they're hard to find. If I couldn't get my hands on Cubans I'd smoke Padron's more often. There's something "buttery" about these. I have one more in a trade from Tom. I hope its as good.

Well Frank I do still have a box of both the 1964 anni's excluivo's and the principe's. I will bring a few along at our next meet up for you.

Tom

So. I'm sitting outside finishing the last half of my Padron 1964 that I had to purge & clip due to thunderstorm. Upon relight, it had a bit of ammonia which I'll blame the purge/clip on. Otherwise it settled back into being a medium bodied smoke. The flavour range was not great but they were subtle. Bits of cocao, coffee and peanut finish on my draws. Very enjoyable and easy to get lost in but not a cigar to really make me go "wow". Now to be fair, I think that not smoking this in one session skews my view to the negative a bit. I really did enjoy the start. The finish is pleasant and consistent but not spectacular. Would I smoke one again? Absolutely. I still have one left in my humidor after all. If I couldnt' get Cubans I'd smoke Padrons. Maybe not their high end lines all the time but a mix of their mainstream counterparts. Overall, the cigars construction is superb. The burn line was sharp, the opening flavours were a hit and probably accounts for their high placement on some magazines top 25 list.

Cheers

BW

I read many posts from people who've tried their first CC having been smokers of NCC's previously.I find myself the other way round,have never smoked a NC but actually would like to try a couple,I'd be interested to see the comparison.Any suggestions for a first NC? Cheers,

Mike

I read many posts from people who've tried their first CC having been smokers of NCC's previously.I find myself the other way round,have never smoked a NC but actually would like to try a couple,I'd be interested to see the comparison.Any suggestions for a first NC? Cheers,

Mike

I think that Nicaraguan Puros such as Padron, Oliva, Tatuaje, etc. are the NC's that taste the closest to the generic "Cuban" profile. Thus these are typically my favorite NC's. I'm not sure what you can get your hands on but these three along with cigars made by Fuente from the Dominican are pretty safe bets. The problem with many NC's is that they are all strength and not much balance and finesse. I try to stay away from any SCARY names like Diesel, God of Fire, Man of War, etc. Who comes up with that ****??? I also try to stay away from any of the non-cuban versions of old Cuban brands (exs: The NC versions of Cohiba, Partagas, Montecristo, H. Upmann, etc)

Vortigan,

I would pretty much second the advice of Rogers72. If I can add something which is as much a complaint as it is advice about the non-cuban market as it is advice, there is such a bewildering variety of marcas, and special releases of various kinds that it is really tough to know where to start.

Cigars blended by "Don Pepin" Garcia, including Tatuaje, tend to be a pretty safe bet. I believe that wikipedia has a page listing the different brands that Garcia blends.

I think Oliva is a bit all over the map. The Oliva Serie V is popular and I have a box of lanceros in my collection. However, I've been told that Olivas are not consistent.

I like cigars produced by Arturo Fuente, but I think they are overly focused on marketing - there are probably close to 100 different cigars produced by Fuente (including the different vitolas). The prices range from affordable to ridiculous, and even though I have enjoyed some Fuente blended cigars (like the Ashton VSG & ESG), I would feel too unsure to recommend something specific.

Another marca I have really enjoyed recently is the Illusione line. I've only tried about half of a dozen, but they have been consistently interesting smokes.

Best,

pcl

Mike

Thanks for your thoughts guys,much appreciated.Gonna have a look round,send a few emails and see where we go :party:

I would add La Aurora to the list of recommendations. I like most of their stuff, particularly the 107.

Good luck!

The high-end Padrons are one of my favorite "special" cigars. Extremely consistant and very tasty. Classic Nicaraguan wood, pepper, cocoa, etc. The '64 series is much more "in your face" in terms of pepper, with the '26 being much more refined. Both are great.

The "Family Reserve" line, like the 45th, is MUCH stronger, just fyi for those of you who don't like full-bodied cigars. I love them, personally.

I'll also second both the Tatuaje and Fuente (esp. Casa Fuente, Anejo, Hemingway Maduro, and Opus), and will add Liga Privada and Illusione to round out the list of my Top 5 NC manufacterers.

I recommend all of these to guys who love Cuban cigars, just as I recommend Bolivar, Partagas, Trinidad, and HdM to NC-only smokers.

I'll chime in. Some of my fave NC's.

Casa Fernandez Lanceros.

Nub. Cameroon, Habano or Maduro. I find these to be nicely balanced.

Joya Di Nicaragua Antonao.

Generally, avoid the NC Cuban brands. Though I did find Punch Presidentes to be nice long smokes now and then.

My nc's that I enjoy

My Father no.1 robusto and no.2 belisico

Tatuaje Brown label

Oliva serie V

LFD

Fuente Hemmingway

As someone who began with NCs, here are some that still hold water with me after years:

Tatuaje brown label (full), red label (medium), and their new La Riqueza, which is an old Cuban brand brought back with NC tobacco (it is really Cubanesque)

Illusione is the best marriage of Corojo and Criollo tobacco I've seen. The f9 lonsdale is in my top 10

Ashton VSG is not Cubanesque, but a very interesting a delicious smoke

Padron is good but not always great - their low-end line needs some work

The more CCs I smoke, however, the more I prefer them. There is just a complexity in many CCs that is hard to find in NCs. I currently prefer Cuban H Upmann and Ramon Allones, personally

Tatuaje brown label (full), red label (medium), and their new La Riqueza, which is an old Cuban brand brought back with NC tobacco (it is really Cubanesque)

Illusione is the best marriage of Corojo and Criollo tobacco I've seen.

The more CCs I smoke, however, the more I prefer them. There is just a complexity in many CCs that is hard to find in NCs.

I agree with all of these statements :D. Though I'm still not quite to the "prefer CCs" yet myself, though much closer than I used to be.