Review: Cohiba Siglo VI

Cohiba Siglo VI Czar PE Box

Box Code: OPM DIC 09

Smoked on: June 17 9:30PM

Intro:

So I planned to have a cigar tonight but not do a review. The night was calm. Just perfect for a cigar. I brought my laptop so I could browse FOH, do some email and perhaps do a quick post to the "Daily Smoke" thread; which I did. Despite my intentions, I felt compelled to write more about this cigar than I planned on. This review is devoid of photos as I was just too lazy and hadn't planned on doing the review. It starts off brief but gets "wordier" the further along I get into the cigar.

Enjoy

Bundwallah (aka Frank)

Pre-light observations.

Nice stick. Great construction, no flaws. Not a very dark wrapper but pleasant to the nose.

Cold draw tastes very "Trinidad" like. The draw itself is easy, not a wind tunnel but not a headache inducer either.

First Third.

Opens up with soft sweet bready tastes, some nuttiness opens ups, loads of creamy smoke, a living artwork, paired with Macallan Select Oak. 1 Whiskey taken through 6 types of wood barrells, very smooth.

sweet leather...nice...honey caramel, sugar water...smooth sweetness in 1st 3rd still, nutmeg, sweetbread, mocha coffee, sweetness just wont stop..like eating a mildly sweet cake, similar to a buttermilk pancake, honey or caramel finish, subtle not too sweet, very enjoyable

great burn line, impeccable ash, still loads of sweetness, not a whole lot of dimension but I'm loving it, i'd say the sweetness is very close to hazelnut without the dark skin on it, maybe even brazil nut, sweetness of a nut is there but not the sandy grit taste of the inner skin, loads of creamy smoke throughout, just a delight to behold, toasty tobacco with some sweetness, outstanding!

mild anise,followed by dry nut flavourss, more toasty tobacco sweetness, ash is still on from the 1st 3rd..did not respond to gentle taps..surely this will end up in my lap when I least expect it :) slight green pepper notes, very nice, hhmmm eight bicycle cops just rode down the street...odd..dont see them this far uptown, anyways back to my Siglo VI!, mild toasty tobacco, not as sweet but good, bit of a black pepper burn on the finish followed by hazelnut...damn that's good!

sweet draw, one tap to the ash and she's down...great burn line...95% perfect I'd estimate, more honey & bread notes, more honey & sugar water...perhaps the scotch is making its presence felt throughout :thinking: , nutmeg, pepper and honey in one draw!! :drool: , hazelnut and cinammon, subtle not overpowering, like cinammon past its prime, but still effective, sweet tobacco, nutmeg and baking spice with some pepper notes, toasty tobacco, more sweetness, more honey, sugar water and nutmeg,

Second Third

loads of creamy smoke still, this thing is burning beautifully, a testament to a well constructed and kept cigar no doubt?, despite all the sweetness, the cigar is giving me a bit of a tobacco buzz, it slowly built up, not uncomfortable but its letting me know what its really made of, burn is starting to go askew, nutmeg & pepper on the draw and finish, slight mocha coffee, milky, some coffee grounds, smoke subsided greatly, fear it might go out and will need a relight..i hate that... :tantrum: I always feel relights add some harshness to the cigar, honey with stronger coffee now, toasted tobacco, smoke coming back to life, sweetness returns, hazelnuts again, she's out!! :pod: relight time..sigh,

some slight harshness but still maintains a sweet finish, burn line isnt pretty, but tolerable, the taste is the thing, anise, coffee, nutmeg, loads of smoke returns, spice cake flavours, I'd swear I was smoking a Trini Robusto T. I find lots of bready sweetness in Trinidads, still on the second 3rd, loads of flavour...lots of smoke again....burn line improving but not a nice as before, sweetbread, slight nutmeg, honey and slight pepper finish, tobacco buzz subsiding, mocha coffee and coffee grounds, more bready sweetness, the smoke just seems to be dancing its way out of the cigar..so far this baby is more baked good, than cigar...first time I could ever say that...this is my second out of the box, nutmeg and mild espresso, toasty tobacco with some nuttiness, burn line has vastly improved on its own, 92% perfect, gorgeous nighht in Toronto, slight wind, warm but not hot, very comfortable, some sweet anise, black pepper finish, toased tobacco, nice salt & pepper ash building up, interest flavour off the draw, beany/milky but not nasty tasting, very thick tasting, walnut, pepper finish, nutmeg and mocha coffee, espresso and honey, anise, more mocha on the next 3 draws..unreal..so far the tastes of the cigar have been mild/medium bodied yet I feel the tobacco/nicotine buzz slowly building, it's a big cigar that might have something to do with it, big ash developing again just hit the 1 inch mark, solidly constructed cigar I must say, nutmeg, aroma off cigar is very toasty right now, but it belies it actual taste on the tongue and lips, coffee grounds followed by bean, cigar out again

Third Third

tap off nice ash, relight again, there's more to come..cant let it end here, strong bean flavours, espresso notes, nutmeg, milder bean followed by honey, more mocha, mildly sweet but bland draw..loads of smoke again, beans, honey sweetness returns, loads of smoke, like an Icelandic volcano :D , pepper followed by coffee, hmmm drank a lot of scotch tonight...maybe alchohol buzz and not tobacco? :surprised: I gave myself a very generous pour it seems, i usually finish my drink before my cigar, so far its lock step with this monster Siglo VI, bean, great burn liine, toasty tobacco and skunky bean :covermouth: , odd, lods of smoke still, coffee grounds honey, getting to the last half of the third third, right before she becomes a nub, the cigar has gone a bit bland, six to ten consequent draws are very paper thin tasting, still loads of smoke at this point, finished the Scotch; excellent as usual, this cigar seems to given up all it's taste, very bland at this point, into the ashtray it goes to die gracefully.

Final Notes.

My first Siglo VI was smoked in Oct 2010 in below zero conditions. I didn't really taste anything out of it except tobacco as far as I recall. This second dive into the box was a revelation. Over the months this cigar transformed into a baked good!! I've never had such a sweet tasting cigar! The only drawback was the last half of the third third when the taste completely disappeared. Nonetheless, this cigar delivered in spades.

Score: 93 :2thumbs:

Total Smoking Time: 2 hours 20 minutes.

Thanks for reading.

Had planned on skipping on adding the Siglo VI to the collection on account that it sounded over hyped, but your review is making me reconsider...sounds yummy.

Thanks for the review - I didn't mind the wordiness. Cheers