"Wet" Cigar smokers and "Dry" Cigar Smokers

Perhaps not the most celubrious of topics :fuel:

We each produce differing levels of Saliva. In the world of cigars this is seen in a "wet" smoker where the foot of the cigar being smoked looks...well...wet. With "Dry" smokers you can barely tell a difference at all.

I often wondered on whether this physiological difference (and there will be differences between the two bands) affects the way individuals "taste" cigars.

Quick google search brings up a host of artificial experiments showing the influence of saliva volume on flavour (French Beans, Peppers).

When you take into account the differences between each of us here (saliva/wet-dry) +the differences in the number of taste buds " papillae " we each have.....it is not surprising that we are often perplexed with the flavours that some can bring out of a cigar.

So, two questions.

1. Are you a wet or dry

2. I offer you an 898 Varnished or a HDM Des Dieux.....both the same brilliance...which would you choose?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like my cigars dry and my women wet. Hoyo in the morning, 898 at night!

Dry... somewhere in my convoluted logic I figure the less slurry on my lips the better chance I'll have of not finding a close-up photo of my mouth on a box of cigars.

I guess I'm smoking mostly dry.. just a matter of preference but I'd equate it to (not) biting drinking straws.  I usually keep my cigar only between my lips and almost roll my lips a little in

So, two questions.

1. Are you a wet or dry

2. I offer you an 898 Varnished or a HDM Des Dieux.....both the same brilliance...which would you choose?

A bit of an off colour question Rob. Late Wednesday evening dreaming of wet men smoking cigars???

Just for the impertinence of asking such a personal question I will take one of each.

A bit of an off colour question Rob. Late Wednesday evening dreaming of wet men smoking cigars???

Just for the impertinence of asking such a personal question I will take one of each.

You try to lift the tone of the debate.....and it gets dragged down to the gutter again :fuel:

....no cigar for you

I'm a dry smoker. I also don't hold the cigar in my mouth, so that probably helps. Back in Genetics class we all did tests on ourselves to determine our "taster" profile, and I rated as a "super taster," which essentially means I can sometimes get more flavors out of stuff, and can taste things to a greater intensity (and among ohter things leads to my sweet tooth and the fact that I can't tolerate very spicy food--in terms of hot spice, not flavorful spice). I'm not sure what role this plays in cigars, but I've often wondered.

As to which cigar I'd choose ... depends on my mood, lol! I'm sure you hate that answer. But my favorite marcas are Bolivar and Partagas ... and HdM and Trinidad. Very different cigars, there. Sometimes I want something lighter but flavorful, so a Des Deux would be perfect. Sometimes I need something stronger and full-bodied, and the 898v is a favorite of mine.

It would also depend on what time of day it was (evening = 898 for sure), and whether it was my 1st or 2nd cigar of the day (that one's obvious).

If you're asking me RIGHT NOW ... it's 9:30 so I'll take an 898v, please :fuel: (what's funny is I very nearly grabbed that cigar tonight, loL!)

Hmmm, now I tend to generate a lot of saliva while smoking, especially if it's a sweeter cigar. However I always make a conscious effort to keep the end of my cigar dry, I don't like it when I put the end of a wet cigar into my mouth after 30-40 seconods and it's cold.

With regards to the cigar choice, that's a real tough one! I would happily take either but would probably go for the HdM as the DD is my favourite HdM but there are other Partagas I prefer to the 898v.

I guess i'm a moist smoker? when I smoke my cigar, the tip has a sheen from my lips but nothing overly wet...i guess. lol

as for the cigar, i've never had either, and I would love to try them both, so i'll take one or the other.

Dry

Is there another variable here? That is the blend of the cigar itself?

For me, some cigars seem to stimulate saliva. Other cigars seem to dry my mouth.

I heard Henke Kelner say that one particular variety of tobacco (don't remember which one) helped moisten the mouth and that helped the flavors of other varieties to come through.

I would say that normally I'm a dry smoker. When I'm player poker or doing work, whether yard work or at the computer, I'm a wet smoker.

While I'm a huge fan of the Partagas 898V and the HdM Des Dieux (which happens to be the first Cuban cigar I ever smoked), I have to pick the 898V. What can I say...the 898V just does it for me.

Perhaps not the most celubrious of topics :party:

We each produce differing levels of Saliva. In the world of cigars this is seen in a "wet" smoker where the foot of the cigar being smoked looks...well...wet. With "Dry" smokers you can barely tell a difference at all.

I often wondered on whether this physiological difference (and there will be differences between the two bands) affects the way individuals "taste" cigars.

Quick google search brings up a host of artificial experiments showing the influence of saliva volume on flavour (French Beans, Peppers).

When you take into account the differences between each of us here (saliva/wet-dry) +the differences in the number of taste buds " papillae " we each have.....it is not surprising that we are often perplexed with the flavours that some can bring out of a cigar.

So, two questions.

1. Are you a wet or dry

I'm more of a wet smoker myslef. Sorry but I still haven't tried the de dieux yet so can't comment on that. I enjoy the 898, but not as much as I see other members in this forum speaking about it