So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

Is the 21 year worth ~$450?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it’s not. Dr. Bill recently characterized the 21 as a hyper aged Ardbeg 10, while the Twentysomething is characterized as an old school sherried Ardbeg.

• Like 1

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

1 minute ago, umbzp44 said:

No, it’s not. Dr. Bill recently characterized the 21 as a hyper aged Ardbeg 10, while the Twentysomething is characterized as an old school sherried Ardbeg.

Who is Dr Bill? 

I managed to snag 1 bottle of Ardbeg 21, but at a price that worked for me - I paid about $180 USD and covered the rest in a cigar trade with the guy.  A very good trade for both of us!
The Ardbeg 23, on the other hand....yeah.  I'm not paying $750 for a '90s Ardbeg.  We're into silly territory now.  It's my favorite malt but so many of their recent releases have been shyte that I'm getting tired of them.
Auriverdes - boring young whisky
Perpetuum - even more boring palate, nothing of interest
Dark Cove - Was compared to the old Uigeadails that used '70s sherried Ardbeg.  I'm not sure why.  Both the Committee Release and the regular release were sour youngish whisky to me.
Kelpie - Had some hopes, was really disappointed.  Committee release actually tasted unpleasant, with many off notes to me.  I havn't yet tried the regular release but I have a bottle of it. 
An Oa - Just tried it in Tokyo Hyatt last week.  Surprisingly enjoyable!  I will likely get a couple bottles for the shelf/Collection.
Now I'm searching for Chichibu at a reasonable cost.  I was able to visit the distillery for a tour while I was over in Japan, and the whisky's stellar stuff, it's just impossible to find for me.  I enjoyed the Yoichi "Peaty and Salty" as well, managed to get a bottle on an online auction without breaking the bank.

Taste is subjective; if you didn’t like the ones above, I’m curious which Ardbegs you like. I liked the CR Dark Cove and didn’t mind the CR Kelpie. I found the An Oa to be too light in character.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lant63 said:

Who is Dr Bill? 

Dr. Bill Lumsden.  Sort of the "head whisky guru" for Ardbeg/Glenmorangie......at least he was last time I looked him up.

10 minutes ago, umbzp44 said:

Taste is subjective; if you didn’t like the ones above, I’m curious which Ardbegs you like. I liked the CR Dark Cove and didn’t mind the CR Kelpie. I found the An Oa to be too light in character.

A fair question!

Favorite of all time is the Airigh Nam Beist.  Close second is the 1977/1978, and single cask 1974's have been exceptional that I've tasted but I'm sure I'll never get a bottle. I also really enjoy Ardbeg 10 yr bottled before 2007 - the old distillate was just something else.  2003/2004 Uigeadails are amongst my favorites, and for recent bottlings, the Alligator and Galileo were lovely whiskies as well.

I think they just really started missing the plot the last few years by almost completely forgoing age statements aside from the 10yr.  Coming out with rare ridiculously priced vintages does not solve it either.  Bring back Ardbeg 17yr (at a reasonable price and 46%) and I'll be happy!

• Like 3

A fair question!
Favorite of all time is the Airigh Nam Beist.  Close second is the 1977/1978, and single cask 1974's have been exceptional that I've tasted but I'm sure I'll never get a bottle. I also really enjoy Ardbeg 10 yr bottled before 2007 - the old distillate was just something else.  2003/2004 Uigeadails are amongst my favorites, and for recent bottlings, the Alligator and Galileo were lovely whiskies as well.
I think they just really started missing the plot the last few years by almost completely forgoing age statements aside from the 10yr.  Coming out with rare ridiculously priced vintages does not solve it either.  Bring back Ardbeg 17yr (at a reasonable price and 46%) and I'll be happy!

We’re on the same page, I have a bunch of 2003 Uigeadail, one of my favorite. I recently got a bottle of Alligator and it is great as well. I wish we could get 17 at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, umbzp44 said:

Agreed 100%

I much prefer the 10 to the An Oa and the Dark Cove is stellar imo. Not opened my Kelpie yet.

• Like 1

Dark Cove CR was awesome - how can any ardbeg fan not like it?

No use crying over the old days - they're gone and they're not coming back. Frankly, I drink a ton more Laphroaig these days than Ardbeg.
  • Like 3

Good to see many passionate and like minded whisky enthusiasts.

I think the industry as a whole is going through a sort of renaissance period at the moment and breaking new ground, trying new things with different levels of success.

One thing is for sure, it’s quite an exciting time for the whisky drinker and being spoilt from choice and variety even though it can be getting a little expensive.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, maverickdrinker said:

Recent pick ups...

13f310f228baf56bb5f4c45dd2803f9b.jpg

1e13029593b65c5a7870b81f9232c427.jpg

Is Canadian whisky with tons of age any good? What does it taste like?

Are there differences between JP Wisers and Canadian Club bottlings in terms of content? A lot of Canadian whisky has grain neutral spirits in it (basically vodka) and they are often terrible because of that. Also, they are often blended with several different whiskies- bourbon, rye, corn whisky, etc. I would imagine that a very high end bottling won't have any of the crap in it, but I was more curious to see if it is a single source whisky or still blended.

Another here in favor of the Dark Cove CR.  I have yet to try the An Oa. In terms of ten year old expressions I prefer Ardbeg over Laphroig.  I wish there was a Lag 10 that was similarly priced.  Duty free, the 16 gets close to it.  LAg 16>ardbeg 10> laphroig 10

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...