So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Mr Black Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur. This is a new Coffee-based liqueur brewed by two Australian business partners who have now just begun to market this in the USA and the United Kingdom. Its alcohol volume is 25% in comparison to Kahlua's 20% and it's also not as sweet. In addition, when used in making an Espresso Martini, the cocktail will be creamier.

5a1b2ab4d51fd_2017-11-2516_18_58.thumb.jpg.9f96fccd31fa6681b4dca35e3f4e9ecf.jpg

• Like 1

What part of the world are you in? Lines in Toronto were crazy for that GI
Kansas City. My HyVee had it. They were only selling 1 bottle at a time. Dropped by the next morning and they still had some so my wife and I each bought another bottle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sengjc said:

Another couple of bottles of the Longmorn 16 Year Old from the recently discontinued bottling batch.

Managed to get a really good price for these.

Nice.  I fear that Longmorn is becoming the new Mortlach. The price of their new 23 yo makes my eyes water. 

My kingdom for the old G&M 30 yo! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sastrooper said:

Crazy how high our tax is in Australia, managed to find the 46 toro albala, shipped to aust for 395aud. I was lucky it slipped through customs duty free, bless the wine gods for this W

63872896-E07D-42B0-9ED2-4FA30D0F3CBB.thumb.jpeg.bc2de6889e29981d78816908745acefe.jpeg

even skipping taxes (and not sure i would put that in print, even on a friendly forum such as this), not sure your source might not have been taking the mickey a bit. i paid $299 including all taxes (granted a year or two ago) locally. but to be honest, at either price, a wonderful wine.

some info i have collected over time. might be of interest.

Pedro Ximénezdon-px-1946-toro-albala-620x350.jpg

Published on December 23rd, 2014 | by Ruben Luyten

Don PX Convento 1946 (Toro Albalá)

Don PX 1946 is a vintage Pedro Ximénez that has been maturing for 65 years

This wine is a legend. It is a Pedro Ximénezmade from the first grapes harvested after World War II in Montilla-Moriles, the neighbouring area of the D.O. Jerez-Xéres-Sherry, specialized in Pedro Ximénez.

Of course Bodegas Toro Albalá have plenty of really old wines in their portfolio, including an even older 1910 vintage and upcoming 1929 and 1955 vintages, but this Don P.X. Convento 1946 vintagewas one of the first three sherries ever to receive 100 points in Richard Parker’s Wine Advocate.

It’s a sweet wine, made from grapes that are dried in the sun (a process called soleo) before being pressed. That way, the must will only partially ferment and high levels of sugar will remain in the wine. It is then rectified with grape alcohol, it rests for around a year in inox tanks before being decanted and poured into barrels for maturation.

don-px-1946-toro-albala1.jpgA few notes regarding the label (thanks to Toro Albalá’s Antonio Sorgato for his kind explanation). First of all, it says 825 bottles are produced. This is only partially true: the wine is released to the market in different batches (indicated on the label as 46.1, 46.2 etc.) with 825 bottles each. As far as I can tell, at least 13 batches have been bottled so far.

While these batches are spread over the years, the wine was taken out of the casks entirely in 2011. It is kept in inox tanks and conserved with nitrogen until it is bottled. At this moment, there’s still +/- 8 barrels left in the deposit, but I’m not sure how many bottles this would represent.

By the way, Toro Albalá recently announced it will include an NFC tag inside the labels of their oldest vintage wines, starting March 2015. Buyers will be able to certify each bottle and make sure it wasn’t falsified (which apparently is becoming a threath for wines in this category). The bodegas are working with Selinko to make this happen.

Pedro Ximénez ‘Don PX Convento’ 1946 (17%, Toro Albalá 2011, series 46.10, 825 btl.)

Nose: the first thing that struck me was the wonderful smell of cinnamon rolls and Belgian speculoos. Bread pudding. Lemon grass, candied ginger and cardamom as well. It’s a sweet nose alright, but the savouriness is remarkable, as well as the fragrant touches (think bergamot and rose petals). Goes on with sultanas and black cherries with a chocolate coating. Blackcurrants. Fig syrup. Not a lot of oak, but you can sense a kind of oriental, polished wood. Waxed sandalwood and cigar boxes.  There’s also a slightly medicinal layer, something in between camphor and menthol. Even hints of petrol. Great sweet and sour balance overall.

Mouth: sweet and sour again, in a generally soft way, Madeira style, a real prolongation of the nose. Not cloying at all – hardly any plain wood either. In no particular order: mocha, black olive paste, brown sugar crumble, cinnamon rolls (again, big time)… Raisins but also raspberries and cherries, giving this an exquisite freshness and brightness. Almonds in the background. Hints of After Eight as well. Very rich but also very elegant. My only (small) remark would be that the finish is very enjoyable, but not quite as infinite as I expected.

Availability: can be hard to locate, but worth the effort. Around € 250. There are also exclusive 3-liter and 15-liter (!) versions valued at € 2.100 and € 14.000 respectively.

in

Summary: Trying this Toro Albalá Don PX 1946 is a privilege. It's sweet but it also shows lots of acidity and savoury notes, with remarkable hints of cinnamon and speculoos. It doesn't feel old in any way, but somehow you understand that this profile only occurs after long years of patience. Not just a devine sherry but also a world-class wine.

5 Just perfect

Tags: 1946, añada, convento, don px, montilla-moriles, pedro ximenez, RP100, toro albala

he sherry was the Toro Albalá Don PX Convento Selección 1946 and this is some stuff from the internet. you can see the tiny test tube. it is the one in the middle.

truly amazing wine.

sherry-parker-100-points.jpg

Published on September 3rd, 2013 | by Ruben Luyten

Parker gives three sherry wines 100 points

Even though the Parkerization has been criticized extensively, Robert Parker is still the most influential wine critic in the world. Until now, only a handful of Spanish wines (Pingus, Contador…) were able to achieve the maximum score of 100 points in his magazine The Wine Advocate. Now, for the first time, three sherry wines get to the highest rank at the same time. No doubt this will be a significant impulse for the sherry market, especially in the USA.

These are the three sherries that are now part of Parker’s 100:

·         Barbadillo Reliquia Palo Cortado
The only dry wine of the trio. It comes from a solera of 120 casks that was constructed around stocks bought by the Barbadillo family around 1850. It is bottled from the last scale of the solera – younger versions from other criaderas are also available. Easily € 250 or more if you can find one. Update: after the Parker score you won’t find it under € 500.

·         Toro Albalá Don PX Convento Selección 1946
A Pedro Ximénez wine that is actually from the Montilla-Moriles region. A vintage PX produced in 1946, from the first harvest after World War II, and bottled in September 2011. This house has several old wines that are quite similar. Never seen this one for sale, but the 1947 is around € 120. Update: the 1946 is just over € 200.

·         Valdespino Moscatel Toneles
This is probably the oldest Moscatel on the market, believed to be 80 to 100 years old. Only 100 bottles are extracted each year from one single cask. Very hard to find – over € 100 for a small 37,5 cl bottle.

Apart from these wines, several sherries were given 99 points:

·         Pérez Barquero Solera Fundacional 1905 Amontillado

·         Valdespino Coliseo Amontillado VORS

·         Valdespino Cardenal Palo Cortado VORS

And four more wines were given 98 points:

·         Barbadillo Reliquia Amontillado

·         Equipo Navazos La Bota de Palo Cortado n°41

·         Pérez Barquero Solera Fundacional 1905 Pedro Ximénez

·         Valdespino Niños Pedro Ximénez VORS

I'm Such a Parker Score Wh__ (rhymes): 1946 Bodegas Toro Albala Don PX Convento Seleccion (100 pts)

Post #1  icon_post_target.gifby Robert Alfert, Jr. » January 21st 2014, 11:56am

AFWE street cred aside - not that I had any anyway - I bit the bullet on this 100-point sherry, raved about by TWA as "ulta-mega-super concentrated". Fancy Schmancy wood packaging, silver collar, wax seal, hand written labels. Only 825 bottles produced. I feel like I gotta take a bath! Kidding side, makes for a nice gift. It's the Parker "100-point" stickers and Parker tasting note inserts (two of them) that really stuck out. Not sure I have seen such an apparent direct connection between a wine release and a Parker rating.

Pictures:

b9cgfn.jpg

16a2nuo.jpg20rpuf5.jpg

2h2jex3.jpg

• Like 4

even skipping taxes (and not sure i would put that in print, even on a friendly forum such as this), not sure your source might not have been taking the mickey a bit. i paid $299 including all taxes (granted a year or two ago) locally. but to be honest, at either price, a wonderful wine.
some info i have collected over time. might be of interest.

Pedro Ximénezdon-px-1946-toro-albala-620x350.jpg

Published on December 23rd, 2014 | by Ruben Luyten

Don PX Convento 1946 (Toro Albalá)

Don PX 1946 is a vintage Pedro Ximénez that has been maturing for 65 years

This wine is a legend. It is a Pedro Ximénezmade from the first grapes harvested after World War II in Montilla-Moriles, the neighbouring area of the D.O. Jerez-Xéres-Sherry, specialized in Pedro Ximénez.

Of course Bodegas Toro Albalá have plenty of really old wines in their portfolio, including an even older 1910 vintage and upcoming 1929 and 1955 vintages, but this Don P.X. Convento 1946 vintagewas one of the first three sherries ever to receive 100 points in Richard Parker’s Wine Advocate.

It’s a sweet wine, made from grapes that are dried in the sun (a process called soleo) before being pressed. That way, the must will only partially ferment and high levels of sugar will remain in the wine. It is then rectified with grape alcohol, it rests for around a year in inox tanks before being decanted and poured into barrels for maturation.

don-px-1946-toro-albala1.jpgA few notes regarding the label (thanks to Toro Albalá’s Antonio Sorgato for his kind explanation). First of all, it says 825 bottles are produced. This is only partially true: the wine is released to the market in different batches (indicated on the label as 46.1, 46.2 etc.) with 825 bottles each. As far as I can tell, at least 13 batches have been bottled so far.

While these batches are spread over the years, the wine was taken out of the casks entirely in 2011. It is kept in inox tanks and conserved with nitrogen until it is bottled. At this moment, there’s still +/- 8 barrels left in the deposit, but I’m not sure how many bottles this would represent.

By the way, Toro Albalá recently announced it will include an NFC tag inside the labels of their oldest vintage wines, starting March 2015. Buyers will be able to certify each bottle and make sure it wasn’t falsified (which apparently is becoming a threath for wines in this category). The bodegas are working with Selinko to make this happen.

Pedro Ximénez ‘Don PX Convento’ 1946 (17%, Toro Albalá 2011, series 46.10, 825 btl.)

Nose: the first thing that struck me was the wonderful smell of cinnamon rolls and Belgian speculoos. Bread pudding. Lemon grass, candied ginger and cardamom as well. It’s a sweet nose alright, but the savouriness is remarkable, as well as the fragrant touches (think bergamot and rose petals). Goes on with sultanas and black cherries with a chocolate coating. Blackcurrants. Fig syrup. Not a lot of oak, but you can sense a kind of oriental, polished wood. Waxed sandalwood and cigar boxes.  There’s also a slightly medicinal layer, something in between camphor and menthol. Even hints of petrol. Great sweet and sour balance overall.

Mouth: sweet and sour again, in a generally soft way, Madeira style, a real prolongation of the nose. Not cloying at all – hardly any plain wood either. In no particular order: mocha, black olive paste, brown sugar crumble, cinnamon rolls (again, big time)… Raisins but also raspberries and cherries, giving this an exquisite freshness and brightness. Almonds in the background. Hints of After Eight as well. Very rich but also very elegant. My only (small) remark would be that the finish is very enjoyable, but not quite as infinite as I expected.

Availability: can be hard to locate, but worth the effort. Around € 250. There are also exclusive 3-liter and 15-liter (!) versions valued at € 2.100 and € 14.000 respectively.

in

Summary: Trying this Toro Albalá Don PX 1946 is a privilege. It's sweet but it also shows lots of acidity and savoury notes, with remarkable hints of cinnamon and speculoos. It doesn't feel old in any way, but somehow you understand that this profile only occurs after long years of patience. Not just a devine sherry but also a world-class wine.

5 Just perfect

Tags: 1946, añada, convento, don px, montilla-moriles, pedro ximenez, RP100, toro albala

he sherry was the Toro Albalá Don PX Convento Selección 1946 and this is some stuff from the internet. you can see the tiny test tube. it is the one in the middle.

truly amazing wine.

sherry-parker-100-points.jpg

Published on September 3rd, 2013 | by Ruben Luyten

Parker gives three sherry wines 100 points

Even though the Parkerization has been criticized extensively, Robert Parker is still the most influential wine critic in the world. Until now, only a handful of Spanish wines (Pingus, Contador…) were able to achieve the maximum score of 100 points in his magazine The Wine Advocate. Now, for the first time, three sherry wines get to the highest rank at the same time. No doubt this will be a significant impulse for the sherry market, especially in the USA.

These are the three sherries that are now part of Parker’s 100:

·         Barbadillo Reliquia Palo Cortado
The only dry wine of the trio. It comes from a solera of 120 casks that was constructed around stocks bought by the Barbadillo family around 1850. It is bottled from the last scale of the solera – younger versions from other criaderas are also available. Easily € 250 or more if you can find one. Update: after the Parker score you won’t find it under € 500.

·         Toro Albalá Don PX Convento Selección 1946
A Pedro Ximénez wine that is actually from the Montilla-Moriles region. A vintage PX produced in 1946, from the first harvest after World War II, and bottled in September 2011. This house has several old wines that are quite similar. Never seen this one for sale, but the 1947 is around € 120. Update: the 1946 is just over € 200.

·         Valdespino Moscatel Toneles
This is probably the oldest Moscatel on the market, believed to be 80 to 100 years old. Only 100 bottles are extracted each year from one single cask. Very hard to find – over € 100 for a small 37,5 cl bottle.

Apart from these wines, several sherries were given 99 points:

·         Pérez Barquero Solera Fundacional 1905 Amontillado

·         Valdespino Coliseo Amontillado VORS

·         Valdespino Cardenal Palo Cortado VORS

And four more wines were given 98 points:

·         Barbadillo Reliquia Amontillado

·         Equipo Navazos La Bota de Palo Cortado n°41

·         Pérez Barquero Solera Fundacional 1905 Pedro Ximénez

·         Valdespino Niños Pedro Ximénez VORS

I'm Such a Parker Score Wh__ (rhymes): 1946 Bodegas Toro Albala Don PX Convento Seleccion (100 pts)

Post #1  icon_post_target.gifby Robert Alfert, Jr. » January 21st 2014, 11:56am

AFWE street cred aside - not that I had any anyway - I bit the bullet on this 100-point sherry, raved about by TWA as "ulta-mega-super concentrated". Fancy Schmancy wood packaging, silver collar, wax seal, hand written labels. Only 825 bottles produced. I feel like I gotta take a bath! Kidding side, makes for a nice gift. It's the Parker "100-point" stickers and Parker tasting note inserts (two of them) that really stuck out. Not sure I have seen such an apparent direct connection between a wine release and a Parker rating.

Pictures:

b9cgfn.jpg

16a2nuo.jpg20rpuf5.jpg

2h2jex3.jpg

Beautiful, Ken!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

On 12/1/2017 at 8:28 PM, sastrooper said:

Crazy how high our tax is in Australia, managed to find the 46 toro albala, shipped to aust for 395aud. I was lucky it slipped through customs duty free, bless the wine gods for this W

63872896-E07D-42B0-9ED2-4FA30D0F3CBB.thumb.jpeg.bc2de6889e29981d78816908745acefe.jpeg

just saw it at US$275 at www.benchmarkwine.com in the states. no idea of shipping costs.

Some vintage Australian wine:
372ed9031280d0ac009b71f4265aabba.jpg

- a couple of bottles of the 2005 Glaetzer Godolphin.
- a bottle of the 1998 Redman Wines Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon, selected for the third annual Coonawarra barrel auctions and released as part of the Coonawarra Barrel Series No. 3.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sengjc said:

Some vintage Australian wine:
372ed9031280d0ac009b71f4265aabba.jpg

- a couple of bottles of the 2005 Glaetzer Godolphin.
- a bottle of the 1998 Redman Wines Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon, selected for the third annual Coonawarra barrel auctions and released as part of the Coonawarra Barrel Series No. 3.

i used to get down to some of those coonawarra auctions. any idea if they still do they? have not heard about one for a few years. they were good fun, not that i ever bought anything.

i used to get down to some of those coonawarra auctions. any idea if they still do they? have not heard about one for a few years. they were good fun, not that i ever bought anything.

I am not sure, I have never attended one just heard of it when I was still at uni and always wanted go one day, perhaps even get a barrel at auction.

Hopefully there’s still opportunity.