So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

Picked this up on the way home, found it for $38 which I thought was a pretty good deal. I know what I'll be opening tonight!

20190418_170215.thumb.jpg.e147ed0685607a502dd4d17702609c90.jpg

• Like 4

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Picked up a couple of goodies for a herf in TN next week

329c63f5a6177e7e83ae05bd479c4ed3.jpg641e66cdfd7f202146c45b01aaf66570.jpg

And a lil sum sum for me
5789c0ea933c205cdada36ef829adf0e.jpg

• Like 3

Today's finds included some Stagg Jr.! Haven't seen that in a while, and a 1.75L of Buffalo Trace.

20190424_164108.thumb.jpg.a1b99b62263e58b8163855343856a092.jpg

• Like 3

I also picked this up recently.  Not sure what size barrel they use but it didn’t go very far.  Also like the 142 Proof.
BF5CEF70-30BD-49D6-B154-53EA8D111CE8.thumb.jpeg.2190dbecf46979f52afcf0c7d7134d6e.jpeg
23402E42-97DB-4BAA-81C0-ACC45A299BA2.thumb.jpeg.5940721bda747c803a0d8c9e9fec4139.jpeg
Had to of been a very small barrel, my guess 10-15 liter. It's way dark and at only 9 bottles, it's couldn't have lost much angels share. Let us know how it is after you open it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Had to of been a very small barrel, my guess 10-15 liter. It's way dark and at only 9 bottles, it's couldn't have lost much angels share. Let us know how it is after you open it!

I think I may go back and get another bottle.  If I really like it I may hold onto bottle #1 for a while.

1 hour ago, prodigy said:

well spotted. could find bugger all about that specific bourbon on their site. personally, i suspect that is an error or someone has rubbed out part of the number. they have more than 4,000 barrels and only bottling 9 bottles. makes no sense. can't possibly be economical for them. even if a single barrel bottling, again, why would you bother with just 9 bottles (unless you are selling them at massively inflated prices). 

i would think that, if in fact it did come from a much smaller barrel (always possible - i know bollinger use them for any leftover VVF that does not fit in a full sized barrel), the percentage of the angel's share would be pretty much the same as that lost from a big barrel. would there be a scientific reason why this would not be so? someone might know. 

39 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

well spotted. could find bugger all about that specific bourbon on their site. personally, i suspect that is an error or someone has rubbed out part of the number. they have more than 4,000 barrels and only bottling 9 bottles. makes no sense. can't possibly be economical for them. even if a single barrel bottling, again, why would you bother with just 9 bottles (unless you are selling them at massively inflated prices). 

i would think that, if in fact it did come from a much smaller barrel (always possible - i know bollinger use them for any leftover VVF that does not fit in a full sized barrel), the percentage of the angel's share would be pretty much the same as that lost from a big barrel. would there be a scientific reason why this would not be so? someone might know. 

Not sure if it applies to bourbon, but scotch and Japanese whisky makers sometimes do small/micro runs of a particular cask, keeping the remainder in reserve. So maybe 50 bottles out of a cask that holds up to 600+ bottle volume - often as an exclusive for a shop or as a commemorative release. Later you see another run from the same cask - same cask number, different bottling date, so different age. Always interesting to buy both runs and see how a cask ages, which people outside of the trade rarely get to experience first hand. 

3 minutes ago, SirVantes said:

Not sure if it applies to bourbon, but scotch and Japanese whisky makers sometimes do small/micro runs of a particular cask, keeping the remainder in reserve. So maybe 50 bottles out of a cask that holds up to 600+ bottle volume - often as an exclusive for a shop or as a commemorative release. Later you see another run from the same cask - same cask number, different bottling date, so different age. Always interesting to buy both runs and see how a cask ages, which people outside of the trade rarely get to experience first hand. 

that would make perfect sense. also explain why no specific info as far as i could find, on the web. and when you look at the bottle, the mention of 'Total Wine and More' got me searching as it suggested a store. sure enough, a liquor store with a branch in texas. i'm sure you are right. 

14 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

that would make perfect sense. also explain why no specific info as far as i could find, on the web. and when you look at the bottle, the mention of 'Total Wine and More' got me searching as it suggested a store. sure enough, a liquor store with a branch in texas. i'm sure you are right. 

Total Wine is our nation's largest discount liquor store chain.

On 4/29/2019 at 9:52 PM, prodigy said:

O reached out to the distiller and this is info I received:

“Thanks for reaching out! Our barrels are 15-27 gallons typically as this size holds up better to the Texas heat. Our typical yield is about 40-70 bottles but some barrels - like the one you found - lost a lot of angels share and have a really low yield! Let me know if you have any other questions.”

I know they also have some 10 gallon barrels.  There were 2 other batches from different barrels at Total Wine.  One was 25 bottles and the other was 29 bottles.

“Thanks for reaching out! Our barrels are 15-27 gallons typically as this size holds up better to the Texas heat. Our typical yield is about 40-70 bottles but some barrels - like the one you found - lost a lot of angels share and have a really low yield! Let me know if you have any other questions.”
I know they also have some 10 gallon barrels.  There were 2 other batches from different barrels at Total Wine.  One was 25 bottles and the other was 29 bottles.

Was there an age statement on that bottle? They are either very unlucky or don't know how to properly season the barrel. For example, the 2017 George t stagg averaged 50% angels share in a full size barrel over 15 years, and that was considered higher than normal. If they got 9 bottles from a 27 gallon barrel, that's a big problem. If I see it on the shelf I will probably get it to try. All the Texas whiskey I've tried has been better than I expected.

Some good snags while visiting Virginia. The ***** coffee whisky is absolutely delicious and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Japanese whisky. 4a9298aea39f3a388f0b2d1c2cf2e852.jpge6d30272a22e3990d50864bcd0d8e9b4.jpg

• Like 2

Today's finds, mainly the Eagle Rare, which is pretty rare around here, guy said they got a couple cases in and there were 3 left on the shelf. I left 2 for other people, and figure what the heck on the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

20190502_162356.thumb.jpg.9176991da42a9e01ce5e99c55b637824.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 1:38 AM, betadawg said:

thanks to you and to BC for the info. 

12 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

thanks to you and to BC for the info. 

@Ken Gargett I was able to sample Garrison Bros at Total Wine yesterday. Decent, but not worth the $69.99 for a 750mL bottle of their small batch imho. Their "cowboy bourbon" is priced at $189.99, and I don't know who is buying it. To me it had some over roasted notes on it, like burn almonds, with a little brown sugar sweetness on the back end. I can be a Texas homer, but this stuff is priced WAY over what it is worth. Definitely better bourbons out there at that price point. For example, yesterday I also came across bottles of Blood Oath Pact No. 5 for $78, a much better bourbon in that range, so I grabbed a couple, but of course this is just my humble opinion. Hope that helps a little. 

13 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

@Ken Gargett I was able to sample Garrison Bros at Total Wine yesterday. Decent, but not worth the $69.99 for a 750mL bottle of their small batch imho. Their "cowboy bourbon" is priced at $189.99, and I don't know who is buying it. To me it had some over roasted notes on it, like burn almonds, with a little brown sugar sweetness on the back end. I can be a Texas homer, but this stuff is priced WAY over what it is worth. Definitely better bourbons out there at that price point. For example, yesterday I also came across bottles of Blood Oath Pact No. 5 for $78, a much better bourbon in that range, so I grabbed a couple, but of course this is just my humble opinion. Hope that helps a little. 

much appreciated. not that we see any of these out here. 

• Like 1