So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, Fugu said:

Anyone able to expand on the difference between the standard "Japanese Harmony" and the "Japanese Harmony Master's Select" that can be found in duty-free?

The Japanese Harmony Master's Select was initially introduced for global duty free markets. Suntory currently advertises it as more 'exclusive' than the Japanese Harmony (whatever that means).

• Like 1

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

No...you hit the jackpot! Congratulations on those finds! :clap:

Yes, that's what I felt... the wife didn't think so....  Some of the bottles I found this trip are really hard to come by nowadays... due to the blowup in 2015....  Like Yamazaki 18, LE, Hibiki 17, 21, and Chichibu....  They are like gold.... sometimes worth more than gold!!

• Like 1

The Japanese Harmony Master's Select was initially introduced for global duty free markets. Suntory currently advertises it as more 'exclusive' than the Japanese Harmony (whatever that means).

Means: "more expensive".
  • Like 3

Mix bag of vintage wine.

63557bd815bf0c494946965da0b4bb24.jpg

Three bottles of the 2001 Highbank Basket Pressed Reserve Cabernets and a bottle of the 1986 Chateau Beychevelle.

60ad6eac64bb437afe3de21cf8958a87.jpg

A couple of bottles of the 2005 Irvine Grand Merlot and the 2001 Summerfield Reserve Shiraz.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

Thanks John. I actually had the fishy feeling that it might actually be a simpler (not to say cheaper) version, marketed as 'more exclusive'. I only have access to the duty free version, so can't compare, neither price- nor tastewise. Might give it a try anyway.

• Like 1

Another mix bag of vintage wine.

5b22d91f1b856faff4969594a5dae518.jpg

- A couple of bottles of the 2004 Fox Creek Reserve Shiraz
- Another three bottles of the 2010 Parker Terra Rossa First Growth

0de4f882f40777857fb8389ccc38d218.jpg

- A couple of bottles of the 2009 Hospice de Beaune Pierre Naigeon Pommard Cuvée Suzanne Chaudron
- A magnum of the 2006 d'Arenberg the Coppermine Road Cabernet Sauvignon
- A couple of bottles of the 2004 Clarendon Hills Hickinbotham Cabernet Sauvignon

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sengjc said:

- A couple of bottles of the 2009 Hospice de Beaune Pierre Naigeon Pommard Cuvée Suzanne Chaudron

Never seen screw top Pommard before!

31ba4c379ca83937640a7747196f9c13.jpg bourbon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never seen Weller in those bottles before.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sengjc said:

Saw some Fox Creek Reserve Shiraz going for auction on Langtons. Was gonna take a punt at it, had them on my watch list, but then got distracted by a friend!

18 hours ago, sengjc said:

0de4f882f40777857fb8389ccc38d218.jpg

- A magnum of the 2006 d'Arenberg the Coppermine Road Cabernet Sauvignon
- A couple of bottles of the 2004 Clarendon Hills Hickinbotham Cabernet Sauvignon

that is really interesting. and surprising. but fantastic to see. i gather langtons has been moving a fair chunk of this wine - and at a great price for a top vintage. had not twigged it was screwcap.

i wonder if it has been done under screwcap by the hospice because of the influence of pierre naigeon. terrific bloke and from a family with a heap of great vineyards (love to know the overall valuation but it would make the family very very wealthy). first met pierre when he was out here with adam wynn (we share a birth year). hard to imagine that he was not influenced by his time in the industry out here.

do we have a crack in the dam!!

28 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

that is really interesting. and surprising. but fantastic to see. i gather langtons has been moving a fair chunk of this wine - and at a great price for a top vintage. had not twigged it was screwcap.

i wonder if it has been done under screwcap by the hospice because of the influence of pierre naigeon. terrific bloke and from a family with a heap of great vineyards (love to know the overall valuation but it would make the family very very wealthy). first met pierre when he was out here with adam wynn (we share a birth year). hard to imagine that he was not influenced by his time in the industry out here.

spoke to some friends in the know. those bottles (i assume you got them at langtons) were actually from a barrel that langtons purchased at the hospice auction. so they would have given the instructions that the barrel was to be bottled under screwcap.

• Like 1

A big thanks to you @Ken Gargett, your support of the good folk at Four Pillars has taken my love of gin to another level! The latest offering, Underground Sydney Gin, arrived by courier today. The Four Pillars description of this release is as follows:

"Four Pillars Underground Sydney Gin is a gin is unlike any that Four Pillars have made before. It's a bit salty like the Sydney surf, a bit citrusy courtesy of grapefruit, cumquat and lemon, and a bit exotic thanks to olive leaf, nori seaweed and fresh Tassie-grown wasabi. Like a great night out at Baxter Inn, Frankie’s, Hubert or Shady Pines (or sometimes all four!) this gin has a bit of something for everyone. Fully delicious, we love it in a Seaside, Suave’s Sydney riff on a Southside. And it's great in a G&T with lemon too. And that’s not a rogue twig in the bottle, it’s a little piece of salty native seablite - Suaeda Australis. True story. Now drink up."

2017-03-09 14.51.02.jpg

• Like 1

Never seen screw top Pommard before!

Me neither, I thought the French are very traditional with their wine. I think screwcaps and other non-cork closures work better for pinot in general anyway, keeps it fresh.

Saw some Fox Creek Reserve Shiraz going for auction on Langtons. Was gonna take a punt at it, had them on my watch list, but then got distracted by a friend!

Yeah those Fox Creek Reserve Shiraz are quite good value.

spoke to some friends in the know. those bottles (i assume you got them at langtons) were actually from a barrel that langtons purchased at the hospice auction. so they would have given the instructions that the barrel was to be bottled under screwcap.

Yup, they are from Langton's, I actually buy most of the wine these days through them as the prices are a lot better at auction and there's always a good selection with some age on them.

Pierre Naigeon makes a decent drop - elegant wines that are cerebral. Believe he has/had some involvement in the Yarra Valley.