So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Just now, Luca said:

20180224_172639.jpg

luca, just got a couple of bottles of the Chimay as well, though they did not have the reserve. the standard. but after half a dozen years in a cellar, hard to beat. and the maxwell mead always fun. it should be a good cigar drink - i had not thought of that but will give it a go.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

luca, just got a couple of bottles of the Chimay as well, though they did not have the reserve. the standard. but after half a dozen years in a cellar, hard to beat. and the maxwell mead always fun. it should be a good cigar drink - i had not thought of that but will give it a go.

Thank you @Ken Gargett. I also have two bottles of the Chimay Blue aswell (2017). I want to see how they age. I am excited to try the reserve. It's the cognac one. Carrington cellars in Katoomba had a deal with the glass which was great too. I look forward to trying the mead. I have a friend that regularly pairs his cigars with mead so i decided to buy it.

Just now, Luca said:

Thank you @Ken Gargett. I also have two bottles of the Chimay Blue aswell (2016). I want to see how they age. I am excited to try the reserve. It's the cognac one. Carrington cellars in Katoomba had a deal with the glass which was great too. I look forward to trying the mead. I have a friend that regularly pairs his cigars with mead so i decided to buy it.

makes great sense - the mead. annoyed with myself that i never thought of it before. might tonight.

i've done the ageing once or twice before, of the chimay. loved the results, though i gave them about 12 years. not sure i have the patience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Luca said:

Thank you @Ken Gargett. I also have two bottles of the Chimay Blue aswell (2016). I want to see how they age. I am excited to try the reserve. It's the cognac one. Carrington cellars in Katoomba had a deal with the glass which was great too. I look forward to trying the mead. I have a friend that regularly pairs his cigars with mead so i decided to buy it.

I have a bunch of Belgian ales aging as I am curious as well.  They're approaching about 10 years old.  I am not even a big fan of them, but trying to source of bottles are difficult and costly for whatever the reason.  A while back, our local Costco had a terrific pricing on the bottles so I thought it was an opportune moment stock up.  I also pick up Anchor Christmas Ale 1.5's when I see them.  They are great with 5-7 years bottle aging and I like they way they taste. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I have a bunch of Belgian ales aging as I am curious as well.  They're approaching about 10 years old.  I am not even a big fan of them, but trying to source of bottles are difficult and costly for whatever the reason.  A while back, our local Costco had a terrific pricing on the bottles so I thought it was an opportune moment stock up.  I also pick up Anchor Christmas Ale 1.5's when I see them.  They are great with 5-7 years bottle aging and I like they way they taste. 

Wow! 10 years! Please let me know how they taste. I like beer but have never aged any so this is my first attempt. I also have some Coopers Vintage xmas ale that I am ageing now. Will be interesting to see how they taste later. I dont think anchor Xmas ale is available here unfortunately. I am on the hunt for any shops in Aus that stock St Bernard (55% al vol) beer as I would like to see if they age nicely.

P.S @Ken Gargett I am having the honey mead now with a Party Mille Fleur. It's a good pairing! The mead isn't too sweet and goes well with my cigar. Recommend you try it when you get a chance :)

6 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

makes great sense - the mead. annoyed with myself that i never thought of it before. might tonight.

i've done the ageing once or twice before, of the chimay. loved the results, though i gave them about 12 years. not sure i have the patience.

I hear different things with Chimay Blue by the way. Some say max 5 years age. All on personal preference. I will look at buying more to age long term. Often you will find me looking through all of the shelves of Chimay in bottle shops for the oldest bottle to buy.

13 hours ago, Luca said:

I hear different things with Chimay Blue by the way. Some say max 5 years age. All on personal preference. I will look at buying more to age long term. Often you will find me looking through all of the shelves of Chimay in bottle shops for the oldest bottle to buy.

I'd go for the new ones that have the least chance of poor storage at the retailer.  If they have something in the cooler or basement is my first pick.  Beer is not port or madeira when comes to cellaring.  I am weary of stuff sitting around too long; especially in the winter.

• Like 1

Would do the same!
I really wanted to keep it, but the deal was too good to pass up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prodigy said:

I really wanted to keep it, but the deal was too good to pass up.

Pappy 12 is more for show off IMO.  Not nearly worth the current pricing.  You did the right move if you drink a lot of Bourbon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, prodigy said:

I traded my pappy 12 year for these. 20c9302cc53a6a2397f68634f9bcffdb.jpg

You totally got the better end of the deal! That OGD is so spicy and good! Weller antique is fantastic as well. Old bottle EC12 year! He got screwed! ???????????

• Like 1

You totally got the better end of the deal! That OGD is so spicy and good! Weller antique is fantastic as well. Old bottle EC12 year! He got screwed!
He's a fellow member and collector. We trade cigars all the time. He has a contact that trades George t stagg for pappy 12, so he decided to hook me up. He wanted to thin his collection to make room for the stuff he drinks, so it was a win win.

• Like 1

I traded my pappy 12 year for these. 20c9302cc53a6a2397f68634f9bcffdb.jpg

Nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That small sampler bottle is William larue Weller. I'm very happy!

• Like 1

I already posted this, but I was encouraged to see that it came in No 1 (for what it’s worth) in Whisky Advocate for 2017. I think it’s always encouraging to see the little guys and a moderately priced bourbon like this one albeit produced in small quantities score so high. I am also a huge fan of EC bourbon a722a6e59da8a078b76bda47bc8560cf.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mr.T said:

I already posted this, but I was encouraged to see that it came in No 1 (for what it’s worth) in Whisky Advocate for 2017. I think it’s always encouraging to see the little guys and a moderately priced bourbon like this one albeit produced in small quantities score so high. I am also a huge fan of EC bourbon a722a6e59da8a078b76bda47bc8560cf.jpg

Wasn't it a specific batch that won? How much does this sell for retail?

Wasn't it a specific batch that won? How much does this sell for retail?

Yes, you’re right Batch 517 won. I bought this bottle a few months back for $60US. I plan to enjoy it with a fine Cubano

• Like 2