So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

7 hours ago, bpm32 said:

I saw this and I thought, “I should pick one of those up”, but apparently my Costco doesn’t have these anymore. 

They came and went quick. When I picked up those two bottles there were only 4 left. I had thoughts about buying them all, and then my wife said "NO!" LOL! ?

• Haha 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

2 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

They came and went quick. When I picked up those two bottles there were only 4 left. I had thoughts about buying them all, and then my wife said "NO!" LOL! ?

But honey, think of the savings! And the points we get on our Visa card!!!

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2019 at 6:34 AM, FatherOfPugs said:

I bought one of the 20 YO bottles of Costco scotch maybe 3 years ago and it was disappointing, so I’ve been a little leery of them. The thing is, even though the labels from the older releases might have been the same as the current ones they’re almost certainly completely different whiskies. You can kind of tell which ones were phenomenal after the fact because they disappear quicker—I assume because of word of mouth.

• Like 1

My private barrel selection group’s Willett Family Estate bottles arrive on Tuesday. Can’t wait.
Are those available anywhere? I've been searching hard for willet and can't find anything good. Some of their bourbons go for literally many thousands of dollars...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Are those available anywhere? I've been searching hard for willet and can't find anything good. Some of their bourbons go for literally many thousands of dollars...

Some members of the group may sell theirs in 6 months or so - we have a moratorium. Otherwise, the whole barrel was claimed. Ours is just shy of 6yrs, rye mash bourbon. The one for our charity event was the same but wheated mash.

Also, no joke about the thousands of dollars. I bought the C14D and C17D 22yr WFEs back in 2015 for $275, sold one for $1200 on 2017 and now they go for $2200+ on FB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Found out today I won a bottle of pappy 15 year in a lottery. I've been incredibly lucky this bourbon season!

That is the BEST explanation to the wife I’ve heard in a long time. I’m gonna steal that one. ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Two great ones.  Are you planning to age them or drink young?

I have multiple bottles of each of these, plus four bottles of Cockburns 2016. I was planning on opening a bottle of something with my wife in 2030 and then waiting until 2040 to open a second bottle when my boys turn 21.  Beyond that, I was going to try to lay the rest down as long as I can stand (maybe till I’m 65?). 

3 hours ago, Cayman17 said:

I have multiple bottles of each of these, plus four bottles of Cockburns 2016. I was planning on opening a bottle of something with my wife in 2030 and then waiting until 2040 to open a second bottle when my boys turn 21.  Beyond that, I was going to try to lay the rest down as long as I can stand (maybe till I’m 65?). 

That's a relief.  I didn't want to see you cradle robbing those beauties.  It is educational to have one now.  The Cockburn would be interesting as it's one of the first big vintages since the Symington's took over the brand and had some time to turn things around.

• Thanks 1

I would like to drink more port in the meantime to learn more about it while these bottles mature. It’s funny how a few years of sampling and tastings can change your perspective and help you appreciate the “good stuff” (for lack of a better term) a lot more. 

On 1/14/2019 at 4:21 PM, prodigy said:

Found out today I won a bottle of pappy 15 year in a lottery. I've been incredibly lucky this bourbon season!

Man, you've been killing it.. 

• Like 1

Man, you've been killing it.. 
It's unreal. I hear so many stories on bourbon forums of people entering lotteries for years and never winning anything. I hope my luck continues, there's still a lot I haven't tried.

Not a bad drop at a reasonable cost considering age statement 

B7204558-728B-430B-A169-F50B75B0CC1C.jpeg

104A2214-0B17-4298-9B72-EBF122AECFA8.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Came in yesterday. Unfortunately it's worth so much I cant justify drinking it. b29a3d77c381450dfc58eccb7e67f31c.jpg

a friend of mine who is another wine writer here in oz, james halliday, has the best attitude to such quandries that i have encountered. he takes the view that when a bottle goes in the cellar, no matter if a gift, cost peanuts or cost thousands, he puts a value on it of $0. so he can happily pull out anything any time. must take some willpower but once you are on board, works perfectly. 

unless you are buying purely for investment, nothing worse than falling off the perch with a heap of great wines/spirits that you could not bring yourself to drink. 

• Like 4

a friend of mine who is another wine writer here in oz, james halliday, has the best attitude to such quandries that i have encountered. he takes the view that when a bottle goes in the cellar, no matter if a gift, cost peanuts or cost thousands, he puts a value on it of $0. so he can happily pull out anything any time. must take some willpower but once you are on board, works perfectly. 
unless you are buying purely for investment, nothing worse than falling off the perch with a heap of great wines/spirits that you could not bring yourself to drink. 
I normally would indulge, especially as I've never had this one. I'm saving for a house, hopefully will be buying in June. So if I can take a $100 and sell it for $1000, it feels like a simple decision.

2 hours ago, prodigy said:

Came in yesterday. Unfortunately it's worth so much I cant justify drinking it. b29a3d77c381450dfc58eccb7e67f31c.jpg

Man... look at the color on that juice, almost opaque. Deep, dark, amber...?

• Like 1

I see a lot of reviews done by James Halliday in my reading. I didn’t know he was from Australia. Good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk