So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

15 hours ago, Markspring1978 said:

Buying liquor in Montana stinks. No selection, (only about 18 people and 480,000 cows in this state). High taxes. My dad took a road trip and picked this up for me in Nevada. 

@Cayman17 nice to score some of that ‘16 Port. image.thumb.jpg.b8cdd417814452a6cbf761e0908bf171.jpg

You should move to Canada if you think YOUR taxes are high.

Taylor 20 is great.  One of the best easy to find 20's out there.

Picked it up at Costco. They also had a “special reserve” fancy bottle in a wooden box for slightly more. I passed since I never finish a bottle quickly unless I’m hanging out with other port drinkers. There wasn’t any age statement on the bottle.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Picked it up at Costco. They also had a “special reserve” fancy bottle in a wooden box for slightly more. I passed since I never finish a bottle quickly unless I’m hanging out with other port drinkers. There wasn’t any age statement on the bottle.

Tough choice, but I'd buy the 20 for similar money.

On 2/12/2019 at 5:07 AM, prodigy said:

I wasn't a huge fan of that one, but they do have the coolest bottle I've ever seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

just saw it offered here at around $90 a bottle. not tried it but i see jim murray raves about it. 

55 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

and then try australia and see what a bargain canada is!

Ken, if what you’re saying is true. I feel sorry for you. As we are bled dry by our lousy Government. Yours must be just awful 

Local store had a giveaway of some bourbons, but had to have your receipt in by a certain day to be entered. Was looking at some stuff when a guy comes running in and goes "ah, there it is!" grabs it and trucks to the cash register.

I look over to see what he was so excited about, then I notice there is only 2 more on the shelf. So I pick it up and look at it, hmmm made by WT, I like WT. I glance at the price, hmm not bad. So I say what the hell.

9b176460f2e6ba1384407ace6a5b94c1.jpgf9e04c66a655b353fac1787a99661634.jpg

BTW I didn't win the giveaway.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, irratebass said:

Local store had a giveaway of some bourbons, but had to have your receipt in by a certain day to be entered. Was looking at some stuff when a guy comes running in and goes "ah, there it is!" grabs it and trucks to the cash register.

I look over to see what he was so excited about, then I notice there is only 2 more on the shelf. So I pick it up and look at it, hmmm made by WT, I like WT. I glance at the price, hmm not bad. So I say what the hell.

9b176460f2e6ba1384407ace6a5b94c1.jpg

A friend gave me a bottle of that for my birthday last year. I've enjoyed it. Solid bourbon with a nice smokey note.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:
A friend gave me a bottle of that for my birthday last year. I've enjoyed it. Solid bourbon with a nice smokey note.

Yeah, mine was a bday gift too......in 2017

Whoops was referring to my Little Book......the Longbranch was an impulse buy, and yes I liked it  as well. 

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 9:51 PM, mtd057 said:

Picked this up on Saturday, the wife and i just finished it tonight.  Lovely bottle, I will look for another to hopefully last a bit longer.

20190225_182809_resized.thumb.jpg.6e1e1a17f7b785611a079ca35b78369e.jpg

Never seen that bottling of Sandeman before.

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

nor i. best i can find out is that is seems to be a one-off anniversary release. 

i see you also checked on a port forum, unless someone else really likes corgis.

trying to dig out a pic from lunch tuesday. had a cracker. 

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The store I bought it from had one bottle left on the shelf.  Hopefully it will be there when I go back on Friday.  

It is an anniversary bottling, and a decent one at that.  

29 minutes ago, SirVantes said:

Good lord! What vintage Pichon Lalande? And nice to see an Elio Altare in such exalted company.

don't have the notes with me so going off memory for thoughts and vintages - 

pol roger sir winston 2002 - as good as one could hope.

gosset celebris 2004 - fair, thought it would be better. shown up by those around it.

philipponnat clos des goisses 'les cintres' 2008 - spectacular. first time any of us had ever seen this. 

trimbach 'clos st hune' 2012 - as good as any clos st hune i've ever seen. amazing. 

the next two were blind (but served in the bracket with the clos st hune).

trimbach geisberg 2012 - decent. probably would have looked better by itself, rather than being shown up by the clos st hune.

rene renou 'Anne' Bonnezeaux 1997 - rich, old, sweet, complex. a few of the guys dismissed it on arrival but they all keot their glasses and finished the lot. 

next bracket - 

bouchard meursault geneveries 2005 - opened a bit dull but soon came around and was lovely. 

bonneau du martray corton charlemagne 2012 - a very good Bonneau but not one of the greats. at least not yet. 

reds -

bouchard 'Le Corton' 2005 - again, very good, but i am never convinced that corton deserves elite grand cru status. may be, with a lot of age. 

Elio Altare Brunate Barolo 1999 - as good a Barolo as one could ever wish for. amazing. i'd read Altare considered this his best and now see why. 

Pichon Lalande 1986 - okay but seen better days. 

latour 2004 - i have mates who are fans of 2004. you could see why from this one but i suspect it is the best of the vintage.

Magnum of Yquem 1989 (i won this from a mate in a bet - and yes, he was there to share it). wonderful. a fantastic mature Yquem.

quinta do noval nacional 1960 - best of the nacionals i've seen (70 was another fave). i think it is also the oldest. a few from the 80s i think are overrated. okay but nothing close to the rep and price. this one was a beautiful mature port. just so close to perfect. 

not a bad day. 

13 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

nor i. best i can find out is that is seems to be a one-off anniversary release. 

i see you also checked on a port forum, unless someone else really likes corgis.

trying to dig out a pic from lunch tuesday. had a cracker. 

Good eye.  I've been caught.

Got this from a friend of my mother-in-law yesterday as a house warming gift. I'll never look a gift horse in the mouth. Not my usual for whiskey. 

20190227_212208.thumb.jpg.159c2bfb2e2dfea503783de9403c627e.jpg

• Like 2