FatherOfPugs

So, what are your recent acquisitions?

Recommended Posts

Picked this up on the way home, found it for $38 which I thought was a pretty good deal. I know what I'll be opening tonight!

20190418_170215.thumb.jpg.e147ed0685607a502dd4d17702609c90.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a couple of goodies for a herf in TN next week

329c63f5a6177e7e83ae05bd479c4ed3.jpg641e66cdfd7f202146c45b01aaf66570.jpg

 

And a lil sum sum for me
5789c0ea933c205cdada36ef829adf0e.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's finds included some Stagg Jr.! Haven't seen that in a while, and a 1.75L of Buffalo Trace.

20190424_164108.thumb.jpg.a1b99b62263e58b8163855343856a092.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Today's finds included some Stagg Jr.! Haven't seen that in a while, and a 1.75L of Buffalo Trace.

20190424_164108.thumb.jpg.a1b99b62263e58b8163855343856a092.jpg

Stagg Jr.  Nice find indeed.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also picked this up recently.  Not sure what size barrel they use but it didn’t go very far.  Also like the 142 Proof.

BF5CEF70-30BD-49D6-B154-53EA8D111CE8.jpeg

23402E42-97DB-4BAA-81C0-ACC45A299BA2.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I also picked this up recently.  Not sure what size barrel they use but it didn’t go very far.  Also like the 142 Proof.
BF5CEF70-30BD-49D6-B154-53EA8D111CE8.thumb.jpeg.2190dbecf46979f52afcf0c7d7134d6e.jpeg
23402E42-97DB-4BAA-81C0-ACC45A299BA2.thumb.jpeg.5940721bda747c803a0d8c9e9fec4139.jpeg
Had to of been a very small barrel, my guess 10-15 liter. It's way dark and at only 9 bottles, it's couldn't have lost much angels share. Let us know how it is after you open it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Had to of been a very small barrel, my guess 10-15 liter. It's way dark and at only 9 bottles, it's couldn't have lost much angels share. Let us know how it is after you open it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
 

I think I may go back and get another bottle.  If I really like it I may hold onto bottle #1 for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prodigy said:

Had to of been a very small barrel, my guess 10-15 liter. It's way dark and at only 9 bottles, it's couldn't have lost much angels share. Let us know how it is after you open it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
 

well spotted. could find bugger all about that specific bourbon on their site. personally, i suspect that is an error or someone has rubbed out part of the number. they have more than 4,000 barrels and only bottling 9 bottles. makes no sense. can't possibly be economical for them. even if a single barrel bottling, again, why would you bother with just 9 bottles (unless you are selling them at massively inflated prices). 

i would think that, if in fact it did come from a much smaller barrel (always possible - i know bollinger use them for any leftover VVF that does not fit in a full sized barrel), the percentage of the angel's share would be pretty much the same as that lost from a big barrel. would there be a scientific reason why this would not be so? someone might know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

well spotted. could find bugger all about that specific bourbon on their site. personally, i suspect that is an error or someone has rubbed out part of the number. they have more than 4,000 barrels and only bottling 9 bottles. makes no sense. can't possibly be economical for them. even if a single barrel bottling, again, why would you bother with just 9 bottles (unless you are selling them at massively inflated prices). 

i would think that, if in fact it did come from a much smaller barrel (always possible - i know bollinger use them for any leftover VVF that does not fit in a full sized barrel), the percentage of the angel's share would be pretty much the same as that lost from a big barrel. would there be a scientific reason why this would not be so? someone might know. 

Not sure if it applies to bourbon, but scotch and Japanese whisky makers sometimes do small/micro runs of a particular cask, keeping the remainder in reserve. So maybe 50 bottles out of a cask that holds up to 600+ bottle volume - often as an exclusive for a shop or as a commemorative release. Later you see another run from the same cask - same cask number, different bottling date, so different age. Always interesting to buy both runs and see how a cask ages, which people outside of the trade rarely get to experience first hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SirVantes said:

Not sure if it applies to bourbon, but scotch and Japanese whisky makers sometimes do small/micro runs of a particular cask, keeping the remainder in reserve. So maybe 50 bottles out of a cask that holds up to 600+ bottle volume - often as an exclusive for a shop or as a commemorative release. Later you see another run from the same cask - same cask number, different bottling date, so different age. Always interesting to buy both runs and see how a cask ages, which people outside of the trade rarely get to experience first hand. 

that would make perfect sense. also explain why no specific info as far as i could find, on the web. and when you look at the bottle, the mention of 'Total Wine and More' got me searching as it suggested a store. sure enough, a liquor store with a branch in texas. i'm sure you are right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

that would make perfect sense. also explain why no specific info as far as i could find, on the web. and when you look at the bottle, the mention of 'Total Wine and More' got me searching as it suggested a store. sure enough, a liquor store with a branch in texas. i'm sure you are right. 

Total Wine is our nation's largest discount liquor store chain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 9:52 PM, prodigy said:

Had to of been a very small barrel, my guess 10-15 liter. It's way dark and at only 9 bottles, it's couldn't have lost much angels share. Let us know how it is after you open it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
 

O reached out to the distiller and this is info I received:

“Thanks for reaching out! Our barrels are 15-27 gallons typically as this size holds up better to the Texas heat. Our typical yield is about 40-70 bottles but some barrels - like the one you found - lost a lot of angels share and have a really low yield! Let me know if you have any other questions.”

I know they also have some 10 gallon barrels.  There were 2 other batches from different barrels at Total Wine.  One was 25 bottles and the other was 29 bottles.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
O reached out to the distiller and this is info I received:
“Thanks for reaching out! Our barrels are 15-27 gallons typically as this size holds up better to the Texas heat. Our typical yield is about 40-70 bottles but some barrels - like the one you found - lost a lot of angels share and have a really low yield! Let me know if you have any other questions.”
I know they also have some 10 gallon barrels.  There were 2 other batches from different barrels at Total Wine.  One was 25 bottles and the other was 29 bottles.
 
Was there an age statement on that bottle? They are either very unlucky or don't know how to properly season the barrel. For example, the 2017 George t stagg averaged 50% angels share in a full size barrel over 15 years, and that was considered higher than normal. If they got 9 bottles from a 27 gallon barrel, that's a big problem. If I see it on the shelf I will probably get it to try. All the Texas whiskey I've tried has been better than I expected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some good snags while visiting Virginia. The ***** coffee whisky is absolutely delicious and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Japanese whisky. 4a9298aea39f3a388f0b2d1c2cf2e852.jpge6d30272a22e3990d50864bcd0d8e9b4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's finds, mainly the Eagle Rare, which is pretty rare around here, guy said they got a couple cases in and there were 3 left on the shelf. I left 2 for other people, and figure what the heck on the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

20190502_162356.thumb.jpg.9176991da42a9e01ce5e99c55b637824.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked these up today, super excited. 

20190503_150133.thumb.jpg.69eb51d0de70071adae33a76cd52a8a1.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019 at 1:38 AM, betadawg said:

O reached out to the distiller and this is info I received:

“Thanks for reaching out! Our barrels are 15-27 gallons typically as this size holds up better to the Texas heat. Our typical yield is about 40-70 bottles but some barrels - like the one you found - lost a lot of angels share and have a really low yield! Let me know if you have any other questions.”

I know they also have some 10 gallon barrels.  There were 2 other batches from different barrels at Total Wine.  One was 25 bottles and the other was 29 bottles.

 

thanks to you and to BC for the info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

thanks to you and to BC for the info. 

@Ken Gargett I was able to sample Garrison Bros at Total Wine yesterday. Decent, but not worth the $69.99 for a 750mL bottle of their small batch imho. Their "cowboy bourbon" is priced at $189.99, and I don't know who is buying it. To me it had some over roasted notes on it, like burn almonds, with a little brown sugar sweetness on the back end. I can be a Texas homer, but this stuff is priced WAY over what it is worth. Definitely better bourbons out there at that price point. For example, yesterday I also came across bottles of Blood Oath Pact No. 5 for $78, a much better bourbon in that range, so I grabbed a couple, but of course this is just my humble opinion. Hope that helps a little. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snagged this in Virginia as well. bad1d763c730af46915b4908360b2acf.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

@Ken Gargett I was able to sample Garrison Bros at Total Wine yesterday. Decent, but not worth the $69.99 for a 750mL bottle of their small batch imho. Their "cowboy bourbon" is priced at $189.99, and I don't know who is buying it. To me it had some over roasted notes on it, like burn almonds, with a little brown sugar sweetness on the back end. I can be a Texas homer, but this stuff is priced WAY over what it is worth. Definitely better bourbons out there at that price point. For example, yesterday I also came across bottles of Blood Oath Pact No. 5 for $78, a much better bourbon in that range, so I grabbed a couple, but of course this is just my humble opinion. Hope that helps a little. 

much appreciated. not that we see any of these out here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the help of @Çnote I was able to acquire this beauty yesterday! Thanks!

20190504_151245.thumb.jpg.356fc3ff3415b2de306c2e26e13597cb.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.