FatherOfPugs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Not so much a recent purchase, but I finally moved everything downstairs into my new cabinet. Only took a few months for me to build up the motivation to knock it out. Still have room to add some more haha.

I realized after I started that none of the shelves were positioned to hold bottles as tall as the eh taylor, high west, eagle rare etc, so for now they stay on the bottom. It doesn't look like I can easily adjust any of the shelves without taking clearance away from other bottles, so until I decide to start from scratch and organize it all over again it'll have to wait.
b8465766efd869695df834311d1ea930.jpg4c948c38cfe05c015ee776ac03320a41.jpg7e51803d01379112d9442b47e7ec966d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I love how dang near every bottle in that cabinet is tapped into, lol... Hey that's what the stuff is for right? DRINKING

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Does anyone know of a good secondary marketplace for Whiskey in the US? I have a couple of hundred bottles of various stuff that is just too much. Trying to downsize to a more reasonable number of things I will actually drink in my lifetime. Nothing super-rare but a lot of single cask bottlings.

Does anyone know of a good secondary marketplace for Whiskey in the US? I have a couple of hundred bottles of various stuff that is just too much. Trying to downsize to a more reasonable number of things I will actually drink in my lifetime. Nothing super-rare but a lot of single cask bottlings.
Bottlespot. You will pay a premium for anything though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

Bottle-Spot 

18 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

You could try an wine/liquor auction house like Acker, Zachy's, HDH, or Skinner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

5 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

thanks.

what on earth did the poor scots do to deserve that? 

Just now, BoliDan said:

I'm sure it was something very very bad, the worst. ?

i suppose i should be asking the reverse - what brought it on? after all, it will hit you guys hardest. although of course, it will hardly improve sales of top scotch. 

no doubt our government will take notice and join in. 

• Haha 1

You all are no stranger to protectionism. I'm aware it harms us more, in reality we should be asking what did us scotch drinkers do to deserve this? I'll be honest I havent been paying attention for my own sanity. I have a masters in economics, so whenever I hear tariffs in America I lose my mind a bit, its political and makes little sense. It's against the EU. They targeted french wine and single malt scotch. Oddly blended scotch and cognac is safe.

1 minute ago, BoliDan said:

You all are no stranger to protectionism. I'm aware it harms us more, in reality we should be asking what did us scotch drinkers do to deserve this? I'll be honest I havent been paying attention for my own sanity. I have a masters in economics, so whenever I hear tariffs in America I lose my mind a bit, its political and makes little sense. It's against the EU. They targeted french wine and single malt scotch. Oddly blended scotch and cognac is safe.

i am literally midway through a piece on a cognac producer this very instant. so good to know. 

to me, this is a lesson for cigar smokers. in some countries, not ours, it seems as though the government has had the good sense to differentiate between cigarettes and cigars or at least cheap cigars and better ones. 

now if a govt decides to impose tariffs on french wine but not a key french spirit, or on blended whisky but not malts (curious to know if the same applies to irish whiskies and malts), then who on earth could confidently predict that said government will not amend its position on tobacco? decisions like these seem to be utterly irrational - unless there is more to it than what i know (every chance) - and made on whims (and more than likely, whoever has the better lobbyists at the moment).  

and of course, further changes are far more likely to see additional tariffs than the removal of existing ones. 

6 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i am literally midway through a piece on a cognac producer this very instant. so good to know. 

to me, this is a lesson for cigar smokers. in some countries, not ours, it seems as though the government has had the good sense to differentiate between cigarettes and cigars or at least cheap cigars and better ones. 

now if a govt decides to impose tariffs on french wine but not a key french spirit, or on blended whisky but not malts (curious to know if the same applies to irish whiskies and malts), then who on earth could confidently predict that said government will not amend its position on tobacco? decisions like these seem to be utterly irrational - unless there is more to it than what i know (every chance) - and made on whims (and more than likely, whoever has the better lobbyists at the moment).  

and of course, further changes are far more likely to see additional tariffs than the removal of existing ones. 

Only irish whisky in northern ireland is affected. All the big names are in the republic so it will go unnoticed.

On 11/24/2019 at 10:45 PM, Ken Gargett said:

I feel for other countries and prices due to tariffs, taxes, or whatever.

Come visit MA and NH, our liquor prices are cheaper than any Duty Free in the World.  I've never seen liquor prices less expensive around the world than in either connecting state.  NY has deals, but the sales tax is big.  No sales tax in MA & NH.  I bet a case of fancy scotch could pay a round trip ticket anywhere in the world in savings.

On 11/24/2019 at 11:02 PM, BoliDan said:

Only irish whisky in northern ireland is affected. All the big names are in the republic so it will go unnoticed.

Except Bushmills.  And many of the aged Irish variants were produced there so those are being hit as well.  

• Like 1