So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Is that good stuff? Never had but heard good things about 4 Rose's

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I found out I won today. It ships to my local store then I have 2 weeks to pick it up. They're normally very good. I won't know until I try it. 15,000 entries for 150 bottles and I got one...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, prodigy said:

I found out I won today. It ships to my local store then I have 2 weeks to pick it up. They're normally very good. I won't know until I try it. 15,000 entries for 150 bottles and I got one...

So do you know if there is any difference between the old square shaped bottles of 4 Roses LE and this newer more oblong shaped bottles? Aside from the bottle of course...

So do you know if there is any difference between the old square shaped bottles of 4 Roses LE and this newer more oblong shaped bottles? Aside from the bottle of course...
They just switched the bottle they use. They make a small batch limited edition blend every year. I've only had a few but I've heard they're all usually pretty good. I had 2 from last year but didn't think they were worth the price and sold both.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, stinkhead said:

I am in Illinois. I am also very fortunate to get an allocation of something every year. Got super lucky this year! 

That is insane to me. I just want one allocated bottle lol

I made "gold" status for FL ABC stores 2 months ago.

They have let me buy ZERO bottles to date. What a great membership this is...

37 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

That is insane to me. I just want one allocated bottle lol

I made "gold" status for FL ABC stores 2 months ago.

They have let me buy ZERO bottles to date. What a great membership this is...

So what I have found is it doesn’t matter so much how much you buy, but how often you frequent the store and then also store selection. Like IMHO your better off spreading your budget over the year as opposed to maybe making a few big purchases when store wide sales come around. The store managers typically reward regularity over one large one-off purchase. 

I would also recommend getting to know who handles the allocated products (wine/whisky/whatever) and get to know them and then make a point to chat with them every time you are in the store. They are more likely to help out their “friends” 

Lastly I think store selection plays a big part in this as well. It’s always better to be a big fish in a little pound if at all possible. Since it is impossible keep up at the spending levels of super high end stores regulars. 

Obviously this takes a lot of work and you will have to put in a good amount of time, but this is how I have managed to get allocated stuff from a few different places. 

• Like 2

Why are so many liquor pictures taken in a car?  Is that the right message to send lol?
Well my parents were leaving and we all won bottles. I had to get them all together for a photo shoot before they were split up lol.

29 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Well my parents were leaving and we all won bottles. I had to get them all together for a photo shoot before they were split up lol.

Not just you, but look through the last few pages.  So many pictures are on taken from the car.

Not just you, but look through the last few pages.  So many pictures are on taken from the car.
People are so excited to get allocated stuff they take a picas soon as they are out of the store Haha. Some of these bourbons are very difficult to get.

• Like 1

Just now, prodigy said:

Some of these bourbons are very difficult to get.

Hopefully they're still full by the time they drive home.  God forbid someone gets a DUI or causes an accident.  Snaps of liquor bottles in the car isn't going to help their case.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:05 AM, prodigy said:

People are so excited to get allocated stuff they take a picas soon as they are out of the store Haha. Some of these bourbons are very difficult to get.

Exactly. And some bourbons are impossible unless you're willing to pay ridiculous secondary prices. 

Grabbed this for $50 today
B3BD66A2-8CA5-4228-9D8B-4C919A371037.thumb.jpeg.9c2abee311bc37bacf61cd6b75443313.jpeg
That's a steal. Been looking all over but I think they are lottery items or just not available by me.

On 12/10/2019 at 7:05 PM, stinkhead said:

So what I have found is it doesn’t matter so much how much you buy, but how often you frequent the store and then also store selection. Like IMHO your better off spreading your budget over the year as opposed to maybe making a few big purchases when store wide sales come around. The store managers typically reward regularity over one large one-off purchase. 

I would also recommend getting to know who handles the allocated products (wine/whisky/whatever) and get to know them and then make a point to chat with them every time you are in the store. They are more likely to help out their “friends” 

Lastly I think store selection plays a big part in this as well. It’s always better to be a big fish in a little pound if at all possible. Since it is impossible keep up at the spending levels of super high end stores regulars. 

Obviously this takes a lot of work and you will have to put in a good amount of time, but this is how I have managed to get allocated stuff from a few different places. 

I have a couple other stores I do that with (well not now because I'm in Afghanistan), but the way that the ABC stores are in Florida, it doesn't matter. Those guys cannot do anything to help you. What happens is that you spend enough to get gold status, and then they email you access to the rewards page. It gives you something like 24 or 48 hrs access and then it closes again. Whatever is available in their warehouses for purchase at the time is the only thing you have access to. But it's not run by the local store or stores in FL one may frequent, it's done elsewhere. I don't know how they pick