So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

A few botls belong to a bourbon club in MO, and usually offer for me to purchase their barrel picks, this is the latest that arrived yesterday.

0cb8d5d641e3f4da2e5e38dcf26ff684.thumb.jpg.601bfa374696c5d59a2ea519017b54da.jpg0cba22f30ea5fa4feae559b1e0627b54.thumb.jpg.93138e695b90956c195e2d4d968c94c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Those are very good. I bought 4 from Virginia's limited release. Some are better than others, there are a lot of possible combinations, but most are exceptional.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Those are very good. I bought 4 from Virginia's limited release. Some are better than others, there are a lot of possible combinations, but most are exceptional.

Thanks for the heads up, this may be my 1st drink in 2020.

• Like 1

A gift from a friend, not my usual poison, but I will never look a gift horse in the mouth.
20191213_193945.thumb.jpg.617305a626bff1199589bb89bb33ae22.jpg
Smooth is an understatement regarded gentleman jack. I remember my 27th birthday, at least how it started. Free shots of that from the bartender. I thought it was watered down because it tasted like water with zero burn. I haven't tried any since I became big into bourbon, maybe it's not so bad??

3 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Smooth is an understatement regarded gentleman jack. I remember my 27th birthday, at least how it started. Free shots of that from the bartender. I thought it was watered down because it tasted like water with zero burn. I haven't tried any since I became big into bourbon, maybe it's not so bad??

Not sure. I haven't had Gentlemen Jack in 15+ years. So, no idea what to expect.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:56 AM, prodigy said:

That's a steal. Been looking all over but I think they are lottery items or just not available by me.

we see some over here. stunning stuff. not sure of that particular one though. 

• Like 1

There are several in their line up. The bourbon and rye are pretty common. The single barrel rye, toasted barrel (bottle posted), 10 year bourbon and rye, and 20 year bourbon are some of the "rare" ones they make as well. Rumor is they dont even have a distillery and just buy bourbon from distilleries to age and bottle themselves, but that might be me confusing them with other brands. There are several brands that do that.

43 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

Big difference between regular sour mash and toasted sour mash. The former is available always where I'm from, while the later is a limited run and I have only seen it in person one time. It's delicious.

8 minutes ago, prodigy said:

There are several in their line up. The bourbon and rye are pretty common. The single barrel rye, toasted barrel (bottle posted), 10 year bourbon and rye, and 20 year bourbon are some of the "rare" ones they make as well. Rumor is they dont even have a distillery and just buy bourbon from distilleries to age and bottle themselves, but that might be me confusing them with other brands. There are several brands that do that.

Where I'm from, single barrel rye is common as is 10 yr bourbon (fairly). They made a lot less 10 yr rye this year so I'll not see that one again until next year. It is way better, in my opinion, than this year's 10 yr bourbon, which I didn't care too much for. And Michter's has two distilleries, they do not get from MGP or elsewhere. You're thinking of a different brand. Actually, many do this...

The 20 yr is impossible to find. I've never seen one in person. 

They have two distilleries, Ft. Nelson and Shively.

• Like 1

Where I'm from, single barrel rye is common as is 10 yr bourbon (fairly). They made a lot less 10 yr rye this year so I'll not see that one again until next year. It is way better, in my opinion, than this year's 10 yr bourbon, which I didn't care too much for. And Michter's has two distilleries, they do not get from MGP or elsewhere. You're thinking of a different brand. Actually, many do this...

The 20 yr is impossible to find. I've never seen one in person. 

They have two distilleries, Ft. Nelson and Shively.

Ok I had a feeling it wasnt them, I must be thinking of another one. A friend got the 20 year recently at msrp, I'm jealous to say the least. He says it's really, really good. I have a few 10 year bourbons from last year. It's good, but not worth the price considering BTAC and pappy are technically cheaper.

1 hour ago, prodigy said:

Ok I had a feeling it wasnt them, I must be thinking of another one. A friend got the 20 year recently at msrp, I'm jealous to say the least. He says it's really, really good. I have a few 10 year bourbons from last year. It's good, but not worth the price considering BTAC and pappy are technically cheaper.

actually, you were right when they kicked off a few years back but they have since added the distilleries. 

the 10 is a bit special. 

I had to look it up. Michters has only been producing in house since 2015, so pretty much everything they've sold has been sourced from somewhere else. It'll be another 6 years before they sell a 10 year that they actually made.

47 minutes ago, prodigy said:

I had to look it up. Michters has only been producing in house since 2015, so pretty much everything they've sold has been sourced from somewhere else. It'll be another 6 years before they sell a 10 year that they actually made.

Yeah that just goes to show you, don't believe a word you've been told. Friends told me this...lol had to look it up for myself as well. It looks like they have sourced from all over Kentucky as well.

• Like 1

For this holiday I picked up 
Jack Daniel's Sinatra
William L. Weller
Barrel Select 15yo bourbon 
Woodford Chocolate Malted Rye 
20191214_184448.thumb.jpg.60ca95d60e832145e9fe557db9648b7d.jpg
Most of those are lottery bottles where I'm from. Did you get lucky and find them or do you know people who hook you up?

8 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Most of those are lottery bottles where I'm from. Did you get lucky and find them or do you know people who hook you up?

I bought these at stores. I only buy from three stores, and give a list of what I'm seeking at each one. I only ask for one bottle, and they appreciate that. Many times they'll call me to let me know there's something special. One of the buyers at the stores enjoys cigars, so I always stop buy just to drop a few off, and that keeps everything cool. The Barrel 15 year can be purchased at Blackwells online, and at Mash and Grape. they have it for about 250.00 

I bought these at stores. I only buy from three stores, and give a list of what I'm seeking at each one. I only ask for one bottle, and they appreciate that. Many times they'll call me to let me know there's something special. One of the buyers at the stores enjoys cigars, so I always stop buy just to drop a few off, and that keeps everything cool. The Barrel 15 year can be purchased at Blackwells online, and at Mash and Grape. they have it for about 250.00 
The william larue weller is a gem. I had last years and hope I can find one this year. Usually there are 100 for the state of virginia and about 30,000 people entering for them...

5 minutes ago, prodigy said:

The william larue weller is a gem. I had last years and hope I can find one this year. Usually there are 100 for the state of virginia and about 30,000 people entering for them...

I'm in Montgomery County and we get more allocations that the rest of Maryland. It's still a lottery. I've never won, but I still get most of the good stuff. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 11:43 AM, prodigy said:

5785f8404adc9279e4c883c5ce7a6c62.jpg

That's a good day right there! Nice pick ups!

That's a good day right there! Nice pick ups!
For some reason the eht single barrel is making people go crazy in Virginia. Waiting in line hours before stores open. It's good, it's not that good. I was almost out and am glad I was able to restock. It's almost too much work to get bottles that are decent these days. I'm finding scotch is just as good, or better, cheaper in most cases, and readily available with no mass hysteria of waiting in lines and buying cases to resell for 3x profit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prodigy said:

For some reason the eht single barrel is making people go crazy in Virginia. Waiting in line hours before stores open. It's good, it's not that good. I was almost out and am glad I was able to restock. It's almost too much work to get bottles that are decent these days. I'm finding scotch is just as good, or better, cheaper in most cases, and readily available with no mass hysteria of waiting in lines and buying cases to resell for 3x profit.

I completely understand. If I didn't have "my girl" at the liquor store or I would never get any HTFs, sell out before I'm able to make it after work. Perks to being a regular and loyal. I also make sure to return favors in other commodities (nothing mischevious) that she is on the hunt for. 

• Like 2