So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

I completely understand. If I didn't have "my girl" at the liquor store or I would never get any HTFs, sell out before I'm able to make it after work. Perks to being a regular and loyal. I also make sure to return favors in other commodities (nothing mischevious) that she is on the hunt for. 
Problem is in Virginia, it's all state run. Both the bottles above are 1 bottle per person, per day, and cannot be held behind the counter or in the back. First come, first served. Obviously people skirt around this, but they risk losing their job if they get caught. Basically people form groups and go store to store and buy everything. The really dedicated go on every delivery day, just hoping to get lucky. (Theres literally nothing I'd do that for in Virginia that's not a lottery bottle). Its all a scam though because people always end up getting inside info from the top. People were lined up 3 hours before stores opened to get old weller antique, and the store managers didn't even know it was coming. Then they go and open rare, lottery only bottles, up for special order. They dont tell the public, so only people in the know actually get any of it. Makes me sick, but I've had good luck in the lotteries so I look on the brighter side. Some people have been entering lotteries for years and never won and I'm up to a dozen or so in 3 years of entering.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

8 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Problem is in Virginia, it's all state run. Both the bottles above are 1 bottle per person, per day, and cannot be held behind the counter or in the back. First come, first served. Obviously people skirt around this, but they risk losing their job if they get caught. Basically people form groups and go store to store and buy everything. The really dedicated go on every delivery day, just hoping to get lucky. (Theres literally nothing I'd do that for in Virginia that's not a lottery bottle). Its all a scam though because people always end up getting inside info from the top. People were lined up 3 hours before stores opened to get old weller antique, and the store managers didn't even know it was coming. Then they go and open rare, lottery only bottles, up for special order. They dont tell the public, so only people in the know actually get any of it. Makes me sick, but I've had good luck in the lotteries so I look on the brighter side. Some people have been entering lotteries for years and never won and I'm up to a dozen or so in 3 years of entering.

Not state run in Texas, and I'm sure they're probably not supposed to hold stock back for regulars, but I'm glad I get some sort of reward for being loyal and patronizing their business since the day they opened. Most of the time I have no idea something was released until I show up on a Friday night and then, surprise!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, prodigy said:

For some reason the eht single barrel is making people go crazy in Virginia. Waiting in line hours before stores open. It's good, it's not that good. I was almost out and am glad I was able to restock. It's almost too much work to get bottles that are decent these days. I'm finding scotch is just as good, or better, cheaper in most cases, and readily available with no mass hysteria of waiting in lines and buying cases to resell for 3x profit.

Scotch has consistency over very long periods; bourbon is quite, ... volatile, inconsistent. I do enjoy scotch a great deal. Bourbon is forgiving in cocktails though.EHT is good, not sure why people are tripping over it. Maybe because of it's great low price?

In Montgomery Co unty I talk to some of the store managers and they tell me about lines forming at 3, 4 a.m. to catch the hard to find stuff at 10 a.m. Rather than stand out in cold, and take vacation hours I would rather buy the bottle at street price and stay in bed...

• Like 1

840d1d757433ce5f13602c6fdd8de68f.jpg
Lottery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What in the world is the bottle on the left? I cant make it out, but it looks like buffalo trace something.

A couple Christmas Eve pickups
3E199294-E5F4-4EA9-A4C8-C71386AA84DD.thumb.jpeg.1207875e91ee26f5813ec39664ed8eb5.jpeg
I'm a big fan of that makers release. I went and got 4 more after trying it lol.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, prodigy said:

I'm a big fan of that makers release. I went and got 4 more after trying it lol.

I was surprised by how much is available at the stores around here. Supposedly it was limited to 255 barrels.  

255 barrels makes a fair whack of bottles. 
I'd say somewhere between 50,000 and 75,000 bottles.

11 minutes ago, prodigy said:

I'd say somewhere between 50,000 and 75,000 bottles.

that could be spot on, but given that barrel sizes can vary, it could easily be double that. 

but certainly a minimum of 50,000 is a good start. 

that could be spot on, but given that barrel sizes can vary, it could easily be double that. 
but certainly a minimum of 50,000 is a good start. 
Theoretical max is 267.5, 750ml bottles per barrel. So 68,000 bottles if there were no loss to evaporation or leaking, which doesn't happen. Bourbon barrels, especially from the big distilleries, are standard 53 gal. Some smaller distilleries use smaller barrels to age the juice faster.

The Michters is really nice. Look for their sour mash. It’s fantastic. Only comes out a couple of times a year and gets bought out fairly quickly (at least in my area). If you have a regular store ask them to call you if they get it in. 

On 12/24/2019 at 3:17 PM, yadegari6 said:

A couple Christmas Eve pickups

3E199294-E5F4-4EA9-A4C8-C71386AA84DD.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 11:50 PM, stinkhead said:

8F0E0E01-911A-463B-9C66-4CCB5E8E74D6.jpeg

3D9A1E6C-A81E-4FDC-ADA0-7ABDCEDF8F21.jpeg

Two heavy hitters there.  Love the Les Chetillons from PP.  Haven't hard one in a few years, but have their regular BdB often. Clos de la Roche is a treat too!