So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

6 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

When I bought the 08's they were the current release and the NH Liquor Store had an insane deal on Sparkling wines with even better discount on 12 or more bottles wine.  I think the Dom was like $120 each...

great price! i think when it kicked off here, it was $280 to $350 aussie. friends at LVMH helped and i think i paid about $220 or $230. the cristal was always $350 to $400 plus. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

great price! i think when it kicked off here, it was $280 to $350 aussie. friends at LVMH helped and i think i paid about $220 or $230. the cristal was always $350 to $400 plus. 

The Cristal was like $150 or for sure well under $200 USD.  What ever happened to all the Champagne houses sitting on excess due the hospitality business slow down during Covid?  Doesn't seem like prices went down at all.

13 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The Cristal was like $150 or for sure well under $200 USD.  What ever happened to all the Champagne houses sitting on excess due the hospitality business slow down during Covid?  Doesn't seem like prices went down at all.

they have to keep a certain amount as decreed by the local authorities but we are hearing about shortages and hence price hikes, when you would think it was the reverse. i've talked to various people (did a piece on sparkling in general recently looking at this). on-premise is dire for them because of all the lockdowns and so on but off-premise has seen huge growth. a lot put it down to the fact that they could no longer travel so had money to spend on other luxuries for home and champagne was a beneficiary. others simply said that this entire thing was such a pain in the proverbial that they wanted to spoil themselves. not sure anyone really knows the exact reasons but i suspect it is a combo of many. whatever, the houses are not complaining anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 10:28 AM, LLC said:

After previously getting some 2016 Banfi Brunello’s, I was able to pick up 2016 Pio Cesare Barolo’s. They’ll both be put away while I drink other vintages if the same wines.

My local Costco was pretty regular with carrying Pio Cesare Barolo. 

When I see Pio Cesare, I first think of a case of Barbaresco Mag's sent to me and UPS stole one of the mags.  The auction house refunded me the price on the missing bottle rather than confront UPS.

19 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

My local Costco was pretty regular with carrying Pio Cesare Barolo. 

When I see Pio Cesare, I first think of a case of Barbaresco Mag's sent to me and UPS stole one of the mags.  The auction house refunded me the price on the missing bottle rather than confront UPS.

I’d rather have the bottle than the refund but at least they made it right for you. Costco doesn’t sell liquor in Canada but I wish they did; not because of selection but because of price. In Ontario, the LCBO is one of the largest liquor buyers in the world because they have a virtual monopoly for Ontario which has around 40% of Canada’s population. Selection is outstanding with a catalog of new items coming twice a month and then a Classics magazine with new offerings almost every month. 

13 hours ago, LLC said:

I’d rather have the bottle than the refund but at least they made it right for you. Costco doesn’t sell liquor in Canada but I wish they did; not because of selection but because of price. In Ontario, the LCBO is one of the largest liquor buyers in the world because they have a virtual monopoly for Ontario which has around 40% of Canada’s population. Selection is outstanding with a catalog of new items coming twice a month and then a Classics magazine with new offerings almost every month. 

How much larger is LCBO compared to SAQ?

My local Costco in Waltham, MA and the Scottsdale, AZ are the two biggest liquor sellers for Costco in USA.  It's easy to see with the size of the Scottsdale store, but when you see how small the Waltham liquor section is; it's a true monument to how important booze is in MA.  They'll easily sell a pallet of a wine in one day.  If you see something you like that is not a normal offer; buy it or it won't be there in a day or two!  

A couple of times I have opened a bottle in a parking lot to see if I wanted more of them...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LLC said:

Costco doesn’t sell liquor in Canada but I wish they did; not because of selection but because of price. 

They do here in Alberta, seperate outside of the main store. Selection is so-so as the stores are fairly small but the price is pretty good.

19 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

How much larger is LCBO compared to SAQ?

My local Costco in Waltham, MA and the Scottsdale, AZ are the two biggest liquor sellers for Costco in USA.  It's easy to see with the size of the Scottsdale store, but when you see how small the Waltham liquor section is; it's a true monument to how important booze is in MA.  They'll easily sell a pallet of a wine in one day.  If you see something you like that is not a normal offer; buy it or it won't be there in a day or two!  

A couple of times I have opened a bottle in a parking lot to see if I wanted more of them...

According to the last annual reports, the LCBO sold 6.77 Billion Canadian dollars and the SAQ was 2.4 Billion. Population in Ontario is about 15 Million and Quebec is about 8.6 Million. 

18 hours ago, rckymtn22 said:

They do here in Alberta, seperate outside of the main store. Selection is so-so as the stores are fairly small but the price is pretty good.

Makes sense with the ability for private operators in Alberta. Great province for liquor prices. 

2 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Big Musar fan as well.  Have vintages back to 1980.

terrific stuff.

i remember years ago in a local wine store in brizzy, walked in and there was serge looking at the wines. he headed off just after i got there. could not believe it. asked the owner of the store. he had no idea it was him. he'd never said anything. checked with the importers. all they knew was that he was in Queensland on holidays. wish i had grabbed him before he left. missed opportunity.

I met Serge once, within a year of his passing.  Was at a small Musar tasting at local wine shop.  I bought a case of '04 or '05 and wanted him to sign some bottles, but was too lazy to open the case.  Oh well. 

I have around 8 cases of Musar red's and white's. Special occasion wines for us.

6 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I met Serge once, within a year of his passing.  Was at a small Musar tasting at local wine shop.  I bought a case of '04 or '05 and wanted him to sign some bottles, but was too lazy to open the case.  Oh well. 

I have around 8 cases of Musar red's and white's. Special occasion wines for us.

wish i had 8 cases. but their agents here have been one of our very best (have a lot of the great names) for many years so it is one producer we have seen a fair bit of.