So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

125+ for the Laphroaig 15 seems too expensive. By alot.

Shlomo - this is an independent cask strength bottling - not the regular 15YO release :)

It's sister cask won malt of the year or something like that.

• Like 1

It's single refill sherry butt cask strength bottled at 60%. Natural color as well. Used to be $160 or so and now is $125. Wish I could taste it before buying a bottle.

Bottle split? (seriously)

Shlomo - this is an independent cask strength bottling - not the regular 15YO release :)

Didn't realize you meant the Signatory bottle. I have a few of their older bottling as well. They do amazing things with the whisky.

How does a bottle split work? Pour half into a decanter?

Didn't realize you meant the Signatory bottle. I have a few of their older bottling as well. They do amazing things with the whisky.

How does a bottle split work? Pour half into a decanter?

My friends in Germany do it all the time. You can buy empty sample bottles. Just shipping is the issue.

I acquired a bottle of Bulliet Burbon in the coolest manner today. We're up at our place in Lake Tahoe and I'm loading up a kayak and my wife's paddle board when a large pickup truck rolls up to hook up to a trailer across from the kayak rack. I tell him that I'll only be a minute and he'll have the lot to himself, easier to hook up that way. He gets out and introduces himself and says he is looking for iconic locations to photograph a custom trailer he is using to market his distillery. Wow, I say, we love good Scotch and Burbon, and proceed to give him directions to a few places I think will go good with his plan. He and I talk Burbon for several minutes, he thanks me for my " local" knowledge and hands me a bottle of Bulliet Burbon! Way cool! I thank him, tell him his Burbon and Rye are some of our favorites, and send him on his way. He thanks me several times for helping him, he'll be putting the pictures on Instagram, and once they are up I'll share the link. The new bottle is resting in our liquor cabinet waiting for a good reason to open it up. Cheers!

• Like 1

Another KL Wines trip today... Some Armagnac and 2 more of that awesome Bowmore.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1440144325.834568.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1440144333.617806.jpg

So I'm a noob in the scotch game. But, is the main difference the scotch malt whiskey society bottling and signatory bottlings, that signatory tells you who distilled it?

Sent by telepathic super powers

-Stogie Boy

So I'm a noob in the scotch game. But, is the main difference the scotch malt whiskey society bottling and signatory bottlings, that signatory tells you who distilled it?

-Stogie Boy

SMWS doesn't tell you directly but you can easily find out. I find them just way too pricey - you can get similar quality for much less without the big advertising, lounges, et cetera. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

SMWS doesn't tell you directly but you can easily find out. I find them just way too pricey - you can get similar quality for much less without the big advertising, lounges, et cetera. Just my opinion.

It's true and you have to pay to be a member before you can have access to their items.

These were the reasons why I put off joining for a long time until recently when they had a promotion where they were giving free memberships with a bottle purchase and started to bring in the Japanese bottlings into the Australian chapter.

• Like 1

It's true and you have to pay to be a member before you can have access to their items.

These were the reasons why I put off joining for a long time until recently when they had a promotion where they were giving free memberships with a bottle purchase and started to bring in the Japanese bottlings into the Australian chapter.

I was looking last night, and the membership for me is just not worth it at 240 usd. If it came free, or I could get someone to split it with me.... that would be a different story (;

-Stogie Boy

I was looking last night, and the membership for me is just not worth it at 240 usd. If it came free, or I could get someone to split it with me.... that would be a different story (;

-Stogie Boy

Yep, was looking for a local partner (preferably 2 or 3) as well. No luck.

Oh well.

• Like 1

Yep, was looking for a local partner (preferably 2 or 3) as well. No luck.

Oh well.

It seems like a cool idea honestly. I'm not opposed to $100 bottles of scotch with just an age and region statement. But I am opposed to paying a $240 membership fee.

-Stogie Boy

• Like 1

That and the re-release of Laphroaig 15 is spectacularly mediocre. The pre-royal warrant stuff is exceptionally good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

K&L trip. Went to the Redwood City store. Haven't been there for a long time. Much nicer than the SF store.

2x Bowmore 12 @ 59.1%, EH Taylor Small Batch, and a few bottles of Eagle Rare 10 Single Barrel #114.
e4157cf48db56a1717ea01064fc010a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4