So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

One bottle of this (discontinued and the only JW without grain alcohol in the blend)...

Nice one, the JW 15 YO Green is a very good drinking scotch.

No longer the only JW to be unblended with grain whisky, I think the recent release JW Odyssey is also a vatted malt, or blended malt in today's correct whisky speak.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Nice one, the JW 15 YO Green is a very good drinking scotch.

No longer the only JW to be unblended with grain whisky, I think the recent release JW Odyssey is also a vatted malt, or blended malt in today's correct whisky speak.

That one is not yet available in my neck of the woods (not that I would necessarily search for JW anyway ;) )

I remember last time I had JW Green (4-5 years ago), I found it too smokey but I have since fallen in love with Islay Single Malt.

That one is not yet available in my neck of the woods (not that I would necessarily search for JW anyway ;) )...

I think this particular release from JW is aimed at the young, hip and wealthy. They are selling them at about $1,900 a bottle here in AUS and I believe the UK are selling these at about 600 a bottle.

Worth the pennies? Not for me. I am sure a huge chunk of the proceeds of sale go toward funding the yacht that they have sailing around the world to promote the launch while another big chunk go towards the packaging.

I think this particular release from JW is aimed at the young, hip and wealthy. They are selling them at about $1,900 a bottle here in AUS and I believe the UK are selling these at about 600 a bottle.

Worth the pennies? Not for me. I am sure a huge chunk of the proceeds of sale go toward funding the yacht that they have sailing around the world to promote the launch while another big chunk go towards the packaging.

Still can be found at TWE for shy of £40.

A couple more good value sherried malts:

aba6y7u4.jpg

Glengoyne 21 YO Sherry Cask: Not the first and it wouldn't be the last but I understand they are discontinuing this particular packaging style - hopefully the drink stays the same.

Tomatin 30 YO: This release supersedes the 25 YO in the portfolio and apparently is limited to 1,500 (or 2,000) bottles released per year.

Still can be found at TWE for shy of 40.

JW Green Label?

I was referring to the new JW Odyssey - substantially more than the JW Green Label.

:lol:

Since you are in the UK, is TWE the best place to source from? I have purchased from them and they are excellent but just wondering if there are others who do international orders too.

MoM used to but have since stopped, presumably due to aviation restrictions. More likely I think it is because of the legal side of things with regard to the importation of whisk(e)y.

JW Green Label?

I was referring to the new JW Odyssey - substantially more than the JW Green Label.

:lol:

Since you are in the UK, is TWE the best place to source from? I have purchased from them and they are excellent but just wondering if there are others who do international orders too.

MoM used to but have since stopped, presumably due to aviation restrictions. More likely I think it is because of the legal side of things with regard to the importation of whisk(e)y.

Only ever used TWE. Maybe Royal Mile Whiskies ship over the pond?

Cheers

G

I was in NYC for a few days and there wasn't much sales going on so I ended up spending on booze instead smile.png

Old Scout

Ardbeg Uigeadail

Talisker 175th

Woodford Double Oaked

Matusalem 15

Diplomatico Reserva XO

post-8384-0-27849100-1371325857_thumb.jp

At a silent and live auction, ended up winning a bottle of 2005 Chappellet Prichard Hill. Proud of myself for "value" bidding, ending up with a $100-$150 bottle for $55!

The best lot of the night was Fri-Sun at the Masters for 2 with a hotel, and breakfast/dinner included... $28,000... I did not win that one.

I've picked up some Northern Rhones:

12 x Chapoutier Cote Rotie La Mordoree 2005

12 x Vincent Paris Cornaa La Gaynale 2009

All of which are professionally cellared in a complex of ex air raid shelters. Going to hold these for quite some time as they are keepers.

Next stop a bottle of scotch

sengjc - quite a pick up! enjoy!

-Matt

Thanks.

This ***** Whisky from the Barrel is excellent value for money and notoriously hard to get this side of the globe - regularly sold out.

Hopefully this will improve with the new importer/distributor on the scene offering even better prices.