So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Picked up 2 of my favorite sipping rums today to go with my Best of June Sampler.

Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 years and Zaya Gran Reserve 12 years

2bf6.jpg

2 of my favorites as well. Have you tried the Zafra 21 year old Master's Reserve Panama Rum?

It's from the same guys that originally marketed the Zacapa and actually at a lower price point than either right now.

Very enjoyable to me.

2 of my favorites as well. Have you tried the Zafra 21 year old Master's Reserve Panama Rum?

It's from the same guys that originally marketed the Zacapa and actually at a lower price point than either right now.

Very enjoyable to me.

I'm hearing some very good things about it. Will try to find some this week and let you know what I think Mike.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sarge

Hows the Arran? Been seein it a lot on duty free. Was just a bit afraid to go out of my comfort zone whiskey choices

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My first Arran purchase and I am yet to have it but I have read that it is a very balanced sherried malt and smooth.

Not sure the other Arran malts but again it seems the general reviews indicate that this young distillery is good overall.

Nice. Was this through singlemalt, because I just got mine from them recently :)?

It certainly was :-) Only my second bottle from them. Have too many bottles on the go at the moment so will save this for a while.

Btw, I still owe you a sampler too (from cigaraus).

Will be in touch over the weekend, been both busy and slack:-)

I received a couple of bottles from TWE to share at my local cigar lounge..the Glenfiddich Age of Discovery (a 19 y/o bottling which I had not tried previously ) and one of my favorites- a Mortlach 16.

The Glenfiddich was a nice dram with a lot of sweetness from the Madeira casks it was aged in but nothing that made anyone want to get another bottle fast. As expected, the Mortlach was hands down the favorite and was the bottle everyone went back to for seconds ( and some thirds...)

Attached Images

post-13548-0-56254300-1373066015_thumb.j

Kilchoman Loch Gorm - curious what sherry cask maturation did to their great spirit.

Also another bottle of wine from my birth year - been buying those up as I see them for reasonable prices while I can for future birthdays.

post-7384-13731585787823.jpg

post-7384-1373158591539.jpg

Kilchoman Loch Gorm - curious what sherry cask maturation did to their great spirit.

I liked the sherried Kilchoman. A shop had a bottle open to sample but had ran out of bottles for sale. Would've bought one - the sherry isn't overpowering.

I liked the sherried Kilchoman. A shop had a bottle open to sample but had ran out of bottles for sale. Would've bought one - the sherry isn't overpowering.

It's not cheap at $80+Tax but still less than the single cask Kilchomans available at KL Wines...

Picked up the Deanston Virgin Oak today as it's been looking interesting the last few perusals at the bottle shop and quite the deal as well.

It's an un-chillfiltered Highland at 46.3% aged in unused charred American oak casks, length unspecified...

In the process of sampling my first dram with an Edicion Especial La Aurora Cien Anos Maduro Robusto at hand I find it light and smoothish with a citrusy sweet nose, solid mouthfeel for what I discern as a young whisky with toffee, honey and oak. Finish is medium with spice and oak.

Suits well with the cigar and quite enjoying it.

deanston 100anos

*please, anyone - how do I get my images properly sized?

Picked up an Arran Malt yesterday

arran

Single bourbon cask 11yo (filled 7/09, bottled 11/10) - bottle #77/206 from cask #77, true cask strength at 57.1% abv.

Light golden dram, vanilla and oak nose, medium body with caramel and toffee notes, dry spicy finish.

At this proof a few drops of spring water were called for which opened this whisky up nicely.

Arran's a young distillery having just opened in 1995 and they're starting to really hit their stride.

I was fortunate to pick up one of their first offerings, a rum finished single cask expression, at Robert Graham's Whisky shop in Edinburgh back in 2006, that was an outstanding bottle as I recall, wish I still had some remaining.