So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

More back vintage wines:

823fc258a94909eca5e69349032d5abe.jpg

A bottle each of the:

- 2005 Katnook Odyssey

- 2005 Grant Burge Abednego

- 2005 Elderton Command

- 2005 Mount Mary Quintet

- 2005 Cullen Diana Madeline

- 2005 D'Arenberg the Dead Arm

On 27 June 2016 at 7:34 AM, Lant63 said:

Thank you very much for both your good wishes and your insight. I think one of those two distilleries may be my next accusation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the back of comments about Talisker, I'd also suggest JW Green label, Talisker is a component and Ardmore, lightly peaked, slightly sweet and easy to drink, too easy, speyside. I think they market as a highland but geography don't lie. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sengjc said:

Margaret River cabernet for long term cellaring and an odd bottle of chardonnay.

941c24e9ccc598f1ec09473709b3a286.jpg

The wine fridge is adequately replenished - back to whisky.

Do you intend to age the screw caps?  I have limited experience with age worthy screw caps and am interested in your opinion/ findings.

• Like 1

Do you intend to age the screw caps?  I have limited experience with age worthy screw caps and am interested in your opinion/ findings.

Screwcaps and other non-(natural) cork closures have made a resurgence in wine globally in the past decade or so and there's not much real-life experience that I can offer at this stage.

While there is a lot of literature available online, the impression that I get is that it is the general consensus that non-cork closures provide a more effective seal that is less prone to contamination and helps with the longevity of the wine it contains. Screwcaps and glass corks make it easier to uncork the bottle too.

Personally, the oldest bottle of wine that I have with a non-cork closure is an early 2000 vintage of the Saltram No. 1 that was sealed in screwcap. While that release was a trial release where a batch was bottles under screwcap and the rest in cork whereby I actually purchased one of each type and cellared, unfortunately I have actually given away the bottle that was sealed in cork and unwittingly given away my control sample.

However, I can say that current vintages of the wine is bottled under screwcap which infers that the producer has decided that the screwcap is superior.

• Like 1

Posted in ano there forum but should have been here.  

My first whiskys I'm 20 years.  Lol.  

Jw black 

Talisker 10 

Highland Park 12

Lahprioag qc 

From reading and watching reviews I was nervous about the lahprioag being too peaty.  But either it's a bad batch or I'm not that sensitive, doesn't seem like much to me. The talisker 10 is my fav of the bunch so far.  

• Like 1

On 05/07/2016 at 1:06 PM, Easttide said:

On 05/07/2016 at 8:46 PM, sengjc said:

Screwcaps and other non-(natural) cork closures have made a resurgence in wine globally in the past decade or so and there's not much real-life experience that I can offer at this stage.

While there is a lot of literature available online, the impression that I get is that it is the general consensus that non-cork closures provide a more effective seal that is less prone to contamination and helps with the longevity of the wine it contains. Screwcaps and glass corks make it easier to uncork the bottle too.

Personally, the oldest bottle of wine that I have with a non-cork closure is an early 2000 vintage of the Saltram No. 1 that was sealed in screwcap. While that release was a trial release where a batch was bottles under screwcap and the rest in cork whereby I actually purchased one of each type and cellared, unfortunately I have actually given away the bottle that was sealed in cork and unwittingly given away my control sample.

However, I can say that current vintages of the wine is bottled under screwcap which infers that the producer has decided that the screwcap is superior.

I've got quite a lot of bottle under screwcap that I've been aging (10+ yrs). I have noticed a difference between ones that once used cork but now use screwcap. Under screwcap they age a lot slower and need a bit more time to open up when decanted. And I'm pretty sure I've not had an off bottle under screwcap.

Got some Krondorf Show Reserve Shiraz (2000 to 2006), with only the last two years being under screwcap. Might do a vertical tasting and see the difference.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I've got quite a lot of bottle under screwcap that I've been aging (10+ yrs). I have noticed a difference between ones that once used cork but now use screwcap. Under screwcap they age a lot slower and need a bit more time to open up when decanted. And I'm pretty sure I've not had an off bottle under screwcap.

Got some Krondorf Show Reserve Shiraz (2000 to 2006), with only the last two years being under screwcap. Might do a vertical tasting and see the difference.

I find it interesting  that not one of my bottles of age worthy wine, mainly Barolo, other Italians and Burgundy, have a screw cap. I'll have to keep an eye on the next few vintages to see if that changes with the old world stuff. 

Easttide, many European wine laws restrict producers to using only natural corks. Many regions also have laws dictating what bottle shapes can and can't be used, and even what color glass. 

These laws arent always logical or backed by any science or data. I can't quote laws specifically but I doubt you'll find a Barolo (or many high quality Italian wines) under screwcap. 

• Like 1

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof....holy fire breath. This is some seriously good strong stuff...104e2738825550bc762a17f23edec58c.jpg

• Like 3

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof....holy fire breath. This is some seriously good strong stuff...104e2738825550bc762a17f23edec58c.jpg

I wish I had bought 2 bottles. I could go through this if I didn't resist it's calling.

a650bae0dc14eebee1edb47d2202f198.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I wish I had bought 2 bottles. I could go through this if I didn't resist it's calling.

a650bae0dc14eebee1edb47d2202f198.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Agreed, it's impressive stuff and gives new meaning to sipping. I had to let mine sit a while!

037b4d1e859acce0fce0171efc840d65.jpg

- A bottle of the 2006 Grant Burge Meshach

- A bottle of the 2006 Mount Mary Quintet Cabernets

- A bottle of the 2006 d'Arenberg the Dead Arm

- A bottle of the 2006 Cullen Diana Madeline

- A bottle of the 2006 Elderton Command

- A bottle of the 2006 Balnaves the Tally Reserve

- Another bottle of the 2010 Leeuwin Estate the Art Series Cabernet Sauvignon

1143ff3225d224e6beec87468c934342.jpg

- A magnum of the 2005 Molly Dooker Carnival of Love

- A magnum of the 2005 Wild Duck Creek Springflat Shiraz