So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

46 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Next gathering, shall we compare your new Camus XO to my vintage Camus XO? ;)

Definitely. Camus have made this their signature cognac since it's release 15-odd years ago so it would be good to compare the change in blend.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

Diplomatico Single Vintage 2000

Hi all picked this up the other day really looking forward to it ,surprised it was still on the shelf and reasonably priced as well 

Diplomatico Vintage 2000 Bottling Note

After a fantastic sugarcane harvest in the year 2000 in Venezuela, this rum seemed destined for greatness. Indeed, this particular batch was treated rather well, being aged in the best single malt and bourbon casks the distillers could find for 12 years and finished in Spanish Sherry casks. The result is a spectacular vintage rum from Diplomatico.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Diplomatico Single Vintage 2000

Hi all picked this up the other day really looking forward to it ,surprised it was still on the shelf and reasonably priced as well 

Diplomatico Vintage 2000 Bottling Note

After a fantastic sugarcane harvest in the year 2000 in Venezuela, this rum seemed destined for greatness. Indeed, this particular batch was treated rather well, being aged in the best single malt and bourbon casks the distillers could find for 12 years and finished in Spanish Sherry casks. The result is a spectacular vintage rum from Diplomatico.

image.jpeg

Would love to hear your thoughts. I enjoy the exclusiva and have been eyeballing the vintage 2002 that is available here for around 100 usd

Mike

In the late 1950s, the main companies involved in the production and distribution of alcoholic spirits in Venezuela were grouped into one organization called Licorerias Unitas S.A. by the initiative of Seagrams who owned 51 % of the new entity until 1992. After a series of mergers and acquisitions involving Seagrams, Diageo, and Pernod Richard, a decision was made to divest in facilities and to instead concentrate on brand commercialization. The result was a group of local investors who purchased the manufacturing assets of Licorerias Unitas S.A. and formed Distilleries Unitas S.A. (DUSA) on August 22, 2002. Although this company is relatively new, the tradition of making quality rum in Venezuela is not. In fact, sugar cane has been cultivated in Venezuela perhaps as early as the 16th century. Systematic rum production in Venezuela can be dated to 1896.

The Diplomatico Single VTG 2000 was produced from a blend of rums which were all distilled in the year 2000. This limited edition rum was created by DUSA Master Blender, Tito Cordero and follows on from his first limited edition rum, the VTG 1997, which (unfortunately for the rest of us) was only released in Venezuela. The distillate from the year 2000 was chosen to be featured in a Single Vintage bottling because of the tremendous sugar cane harvest which was produced that year. Apparently a series of climactic factors in Venezuela combined to produce exceptional growing conditions which led to the bountiful cane harvest. The Limited Edition Single VTG 2000 Rum is a celebration of that exceptional year.

The bulk of the distillate for this particular rum was apparently produced upon copper pot stills, with a smaller portion of the distillate produced upon copper kettle stills. The spirit spent the first 10 years of its aging life in American ex-bourbon barrels, after which it was finished for another 2 years in Sherry casks (Pedro Ximénez). The final rum was bottled in 2012.

In the Bottle 5/5

As you can see from the image to the left, the Single Vintage 2000 has been given a very special presentation. The rum is sold in a heavy glass bottle sealed with a heavy topped cork closure. This closure is additionally sealed with a tightly drawn wire mesh to keep the cork in place. The labeling is simple and attractive lending a touch of masculine class to the overall look of the Single Vintage Rum.

In the Glass 9.5/10

The Diplomatico Single VTG 2000rum displays itself as a dark ruddy bronze spirit showcasing the rich hues of a rum enhanced by the Pedro Ximénez cask. After a tilt and slow swirl of my glencairn glass the rum dropped medium-sized leglets down the inside of the glass. These leggy drooplets ambled at a moderate pace back into the rum at bottom of the glass.

The initial scents are aromatic and fruity. There is a beguiling butterscotch sweetness underneath a triumvirate of oak spice, dark sherried fruit (raisins and dates) and luscious baking spices (vanilla, brown sugars, nutmeg, and cinnamon). Orange peel and almond scents entwine themselves into the aromatic breezes melding into the oak and butterscotch giving me impressions both of marmalade and marzipan and also a lovely Toffee /Candied Apple 

As the rum settles in the glass, the oak and baking spices seem to grow into a rich cigar-like aroma. This richness deepens with impressions of both milk chocolate and spicy cloves coming forward alongside a wonderful sherry-like smokiness. The rum appears to be deeply complex with all of these scents and smells working seamlessly together.

In the Glass 57/60

The rum enters the mouth with deliciously melded flavours of lush toffee, rich baking spices (vanilla, cinnamon. allspice and nutmeg) and sherry-like dry fruit (raisins, dates and dry apricots). Orange peel and oak spice build with each sip heating the palate and giving the spirit a vibrant spicy mouth-feel which works very well with the sweetness provided by the toffee and dry fruit. As the rum breathes, the orange peel and oak spice seem to meld further into the toffee bringing about impressions of marmalade. As well, cocoa, coffee and cola flavours all seem to swirl about adding a touch of bittersweet into the flavour profile which I personally find quite delightful. As was apparent on the nose, the rum is deeply complex.

I added a bit of ice to my glencairn and I found myself extremely pleased with the result. A lovely creaminess comes forward, the spiciness is tempered just a little, and cinnamon tainted milk chocolate seems to ooze from the rum.  Yumm!

In the Throat 14.5/15

Despite the readily apparent oak spice and orange peel, the rum finishes with remarkable smoothness. The exit practically gushes with impressions cocoa and coffee which lend a bittersweet dryness to the finish which almost forces you to pour another glass just to experience the sensation all over again.

The Afterburn 9.5/10

My final thought after sampling the Single Vintage 2000 Rum from Diplomatico is that I sincerely hope to see more of these special limited edition bottlings in the future. This particular vintage from Diplomatico is outstanding!

6c41d6ed70de3431179faa1ea184d39c.jpg
Some ER supermarket pick up.

7bbb75ca19bcc170f912813a64fbdd3f.jpg

Private cask Calvados from 1973 gifted from a friend.

8592e81ce6e45fbc22331c0c66369f47.jpg

Finally some Dailuaine 16 F&F

The FF Daliuane didn't quite do it for me so still have half a bottle I'm gonna use for Flambéing mushrooms for my steaks

Try the FF Rosebank 12 if you get the chance as its very tasty.

Avoid FF Inchgower...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FF Daliuane didn't quite do it for me so still have half a bottle I'm gonna use for Flambéing mushrooms for my steaks

Try the FF Rosebank 12 if you get the chance as its very tasty.

Avoid FF Inchgower...

I'm a big fan of the F&F series with a penchant for the Mortlach. Pittyvaich has been on my radar for a long time. I guess I should get round to trying the rest.
  • Like 1

I'm a big fan of the F&F series with a penchant for the Mortlach. Pittyvaich has been on my radar for a long time. I guess I should get round to trying the rest.

Yes I have two FF Mortlach and a Pittyvaitch in the collection which I havnt tried yet.

Mortlach is my favourite distillery although the FF doesn't rate very well. Still worth a go...whenever I get around to it

• Like 1

f4e56d69423e9a40d7ad8cc615ece89e.jpg7dd28a138362b12c83b9cc9aecee65fb.jpg4be233c98d4dbd8261f1dbf461120686.jpg
Finally added a bottle of ardbeg and a btac release to my collection. Been wanting to sample both for a long time.

• Like 4

Yes I have two FF Mortlach and a Pittyvaitch in the collection which I havnt tried yet.

Mortlach is my favourite distillery although the FF doesn't rate very well. Still worth a go...whenever I get around to it

I'm really surprised to learn you think the FF Mortlach doesn't rate - certainly where I'm from, people love it. For me it certainly wipes the floor with the succeeding range that Diageo released- including the 25yr old.
  • Like 1

I'm really surprised to learn you think the FF Mortlach doesn't rate - certainly where I'm from, people love it. For me it certainly wipes the floor with the succeeding range that Diageo released- including the 25yr old.

I use a guys Serge's reviews to make all my purchases now from Whiskyfun as his palate is absolutely phenomenal...and I tend to buy only 88 and over ratings.

Check him out, seriously.

Mortlach hasn't actually produced many really exceptional bottlings but I love that dirty gunpowder flavour so much that is the Mortlach signature.

• Like 1

Serge certainly is a fountain of knowledge but that's just one man's opinion. My advice to you would be, don't limit your purchasing just because Serge said it ain't all that. You may be missing out on some phenomenal whisky due to this approach.
Let's not forget that, just like cigars, flavour profile is completely subjective.

Serge certainly is a fountain of knowledge but that's just one man's opinion. My advice to you would be, don't limit your purchasing just because Serge said it ain't all that. You may be missing out on some phenomenal whisky due to this approach.
Let's not forget that, just like cigars, flavour profile is completely subjective.

I have a hard core group of friends who are all serious Whisky collectors and Dramsmen.

We have collectively proven to ourselves by due process and countless EXTREME tastings that "ratings" in general have no continuity or substantive value in the wider sense. As you say just a collation of opinions.

Serge's ratings however in our collective experience have a quantified consistency and as such are as good a place to start as any we have found.

Some recent acquisitions.

Red wine:
- A couple of bottles of the 1996 Orlando Centenary Hill Shiraz
- A couple of bottles of the 1998 St. Hallett Third Century Old Vine Shiraz
- A couple more bottles of the 2005 Henry's Drive Reserve Shiraz
38ba7ff6321314da2f670dffa8f8bb66.jpg
- A couple of bottles of the 2010 Henschke Abbotts Prayer
- A couple of bottles of the 2012 Chateau Rauzan-Segla
b0502e5cc8cbed978069feb418512bd9.jpg

Whites wine:
- A couple of bottles of the 2013 Bass Phillip Premium Chardonnay
- A bottle of the 2012 Mount Mary Chardonnay
- A couple of bottles of the 2014 Bass Phillip Premium Chardonnay
e8e14afdfccd925c9bd642dec68c7156.jpg

Wine magnums:
- 1998 Rockford Home Block Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2000 Fox Creek Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2003 Viking Grand Shiraz
- 2004 Viking Grand Shiraz
- 2004 d'Arenberg the Laughing Magpie Shiraz Viognier
8bc293e256585a5f77d88b2ea411fcb1.jpg

Whisky:
- A couple of bottles of the Kilchoman Loch Gorm (2015 Bottling)
72fd514603dc37889465b80dbe4c3fb7.jpg

• Like 3

Some recent acquisitions.

Red wine:
- A couple of bottles of the 1996 Orlando Centenary Hill Shiraz
- A couple of bottles of the 1998 St. Hallett Third Century Old Vine Shiraz
- A couple more bottles of the 2005 Henry's Drive Reserve Shiraz
38ba7ff6321314da2f670dffa8f8bb66.jpg
- A couple of bottles of the 2010 Henschke Abbotts Prayer
- A couple of bottles of the 2012 Chateau Rauzan-Segla
b0502e5cc8cbed978069feb418512bd9.jpg

Whites wine:
- A couple of bottles of the 2013 Bass Phillip Premium Chardonnay
- A bottle of the 2012 Mount Mary Chardonnay
- A couple of bottles of the 2014 Bass Phillip Premium Chardonnay
e8e14afdfccd925c9bd642dec68c7156.jpg

Wine magnums:
- 1998 Rockford Home Block Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2000 Fox Creek Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2003 Viking Grand Shiraz
- 2004 Viking Grand Shiraz
- 2004 d'Arenberg the Laughing Magpie Shiraz Viognier
8bc293e256585a5f77d88b2ea411fcb1.jpg

Whisky:
- A couple of bottles of the Kilchoman Loch Gorm (2015 Bottling)
72fd514603dc37889465b80dbe4c3fb7.jpg

I thought you said you were done buying wine for a while!

• Like 1

More wine today, predominantly for cellaring with a couple for drinking.

- A couple of bottles of the 2013 Farrside by Farr Pinot Noir
- Another bottle of the 2012 Mount Mary Chardonnay
69cdb7040ee3f1e4ae8fcce338da375f.jpg

- A couple of bottles of the 2013 Mount Mary Quintet Cabernets
- A bottle of the 2010 Chateau Bel Air St. Estephe
- A bottle of the 2001 Diamond Valley Reserve Cabernet-Cabernet Franc
6b84bb464e3e2484cd05a6cb4fc97677.jpg

Another magnum of the 2010 Rockford Home Block Cabernet Sauvignon
f21a1207b9a7a926dff0f171836d9b90.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sengjc said:

More wine today, predominantly for cellaring with a couple for drinking.

- A couple of bottles of the 2013 Farrside by Farr Pinot Noir
- Another bottle of the 2012 Mount Mary Chardonnay
69cdb7040ee3f1e4ae8fcce338da375f.jpg

- A couple of bottles of the 2013 Mount Mary Quintet Cabernets
- A bottle of the 2010 Chateau Bel Air St. Estephe
- A bottle of the 2001 Diamond Valley Reserve Cabernet-Cabernet Franc
6b84bb464e3e2484cd05a6cb4fc97677.jpg

Another magnum of the 2010 Rockford Home Block Cabernet Sauvignon
f21a1207b9a7a926dff0f171836d9b90.jpg

Had the Farrside with dinner  at the Atlantic Melbourne a couple of weeks back ....sensational wine

• Like 1