So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

Tried a few Japanese whiskeys while I was away and wanted to bring something back with me and this was recommended. Could not find ***** Barrel or Ichiro Malt.

f33b0ba2a3708564ef367208c2286c5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

21 minutes ago, Saxman said:

Today my LFTH purchase arrived
Romeo y Julieta Escudos  Edicion Limitada 2007 OEB MAY 07 
They look fantastic !
ee081b089605f03e725345476b28b576.jpg
bd64b3d166541af3da94ba8bc2799f93.jpg

f924e46f404e11b6278d2fcb27637b20.jpg
These are the first vintages I've bought and my most expensive order

Saxman

they do look fantastic but i think this is more for wine/beer/spirits.

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society bottling number 9.104 "Lychee Martini" - a 27 year old Glen Grant matured in a refill ex-sherry butt.

8cfa40474a7c99e0dd643ee7cee79032.jpg

It was the Malt of the Month for the October Outturn in Australia.

That's the only thing with SMWS bottlings...the obscure naming's put me off.

Looking up the bottle origin is a PITA

If it just said Glen Grant Sherry finish...l'd be in there.

That said I may attend a fancy SMWS tasting next month...I'll pretend it's a blind tasting

• Like 1

That's the only thing with SMWS bottlings...the obscure naming's put me off.

Looking up the bottle origin is a PITA

If it just said Glen Grant Sherry finish...l'd be in there.

That said I may attend a fancy SMWS tasting next month...I'll pretend it's a blind tasting

There is a NZ chapter of the SMWS that is worth joining - the pricing is heaps better than the AUS chapter's.
  • Like 1

There is a NZ chapter of the SMWS that is worth joining - the pricing is heaps better than the AUS chapter's.

You guys seem to get a better variety than us in the US too btw.

• Like 3

Just curious, are the US bottlings in 750ml?

I believe so.

No Japanese offerings ever, actually I've never seen a non Scottish one fyi.

I believe so.

No Japanese offerings ever, actually I've never seen a non Scottish one fyi.

SMWS doesn't do Japanese bottlings outside of Japan and Asia, AFAIK. They might in UK or Europe but that is rare.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SMWS doesn't do Japanese bottlings outside of Japan and Asia, AFAIK. They might in UK or Europe but that is rare.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We don't get any Japanese bottlings on offer either in Australia. It has been like that since mid last year, probably around the time when the price of Japanese whisky increased exponentially around the world.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, sastrooper said:

100%, only matter of time before retails goes through the 1k mark which is just crazy.

as someone who can remember buying a grange for $12 (granted it was probably an error), a grand does seem extreme. but that said, there are burgundies that are several thousand. first growths are all well over a grand. love burgundy and i think that at its best, it is the greatest wine in the world, but there are plenty that are not worth several hundred, let alone several thou. should grange be any less than that? the 2012 and the 2010 and plenty of others are stunning wines, the equal of anything.

the real argument is that they are all overpriced but the worldwide demand is there for these wines so these days, if we want them, that is what we have to pay.

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

as someone who can remember buying a grange for $12 (granted it was probably an error), a grand does seem extreme. but that said, there are burgundies that are several thousand. first growths are all well over a grand. love burgundy and i think that at its best, it is the greatest wine in the world, but there are plenty that are not worth several hundred, let alone several thou. should grange be any less than that? the 2012 and the 2010 and plenty of others are stunning wines, the equal of anything.

the real argument is that they are all overpriced but the worldwide demand is there for these wines so these days, if we want them, that is what we have to pay.

Yeah definitely, demand is there and if you want it, you have to pay. Its all relative i guess, ild gladly pay 1000 for the right bottle, just not for grange 

4 minutes ago, sastrooper said:

Yeah definitely, demand is there and if you want it, you have to pay. Its all relative i guess, ild gladly pay 1000 for the right bottle, just not for grange 

each to their own faves - that said, nor would i, but then i don't have the dosh to spend a grand on any bottle (well, i might push for a good vintage of DRC or something mindboggling).

but i'd defend grange. in quality terms, it sits with the best in the world. last two years, i have judged in the Helsinki Fine Comp. last year, the greatest wines of the 70s - first growths, grand crus, great Yquems, best of Napa and so on. there are about 15 judges and all done blind. the 71 Grange was the deserved winner. exquisite wine. this year, an expanded tasting with first growths back to 1900, ditto grand cru burgs, great wines from all over the world and 50-60 of the very best champagnes from the 90s. again, the top wine from penfolds, this time their Bin 60A. unbelievably good. 2004 won the the best wine of the decade here, before the 2010 and 2012 came out and they are two of the greatest wines you could imagine.

39 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

each to their own faves - that said, nor would i, but then i don't have the dosh to spend a grand on any bottle (well, i might push for a good vintage of DRC or something mindboggling).

but i'd defend grange. in quality terms, it sits with the best in the world. last two years, i have judged in the Helsinki Fine Comp. last year, the greatest wines of the 70s - first growths, grand crus, great Yquems, best of Napa and so on. there are about 15 judges and all done blind. the 71 Grange was the deserved winner. exquisite wine. this year, an expanded tasting with first growths back to 1900, ditto grand cru burgs, great wines from all over the world and 50-60 of the very best champagnes from the 90s. again, the top wine from penfolds, this time their Bin 60A. unbelievably good. 2004 won the the best wine of the decade here, before the 2010 and 2012 came out and they are two of the greatest wines you could imagine.

Fair call, 71 was a bloody amazing year and them special bins are in another league. In regards to the judging, that sounds like one hella tasting, was it difficult to pick the umero numero from the creme de la creme of the wine world? 

35 minutes ago, sastrooper said:

Fair call, 71 was a bloody amazing year and them special bins are in another league. In regards to the judging, that sounds like one hella tasting, was it difficult to pick the umero numero from the creme de la creme of the wine world? 

no - basically, each wine is judged and given a score by each of us. then they are all tallied up. so whatever pops up as the winner happens. not as though we have to rank them in order ourselves.

Back from the Penfolds Discovery Tasting spanning the Bins 128, 138, 407, 150, 389, St Henri, RWT and Grange.

It was quite an eventful event - the first bottle of the 2012 Grange that was prepared earlier turned out to be corked!

Anyway, a second bottle was quickly opened and I did get to try the some Grange - very nice.