Cubans & Non Cubans

I Smoke Cuban & Non Cuban  

764 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am interested in hearing who smokes both Cubans and non Cubans, also from anyone that only smokes Cuban....El Presidente please chime in too!

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoy both, Compared side by side, I think the Best of the Cubans always wins over the Best of the Non-Cubans, but there are a lot of great non-cubans that can stand up against alot of the Cubans no

Jesus, did I just read this??? ... I don't have sex with goats either! Unless I do, I have no idea how to make love; is that it??? Missing something? I'll risk it! This is the silliest post I have

So smoking BRC and PSD4 at 8 or so USD a pop is being a snob, unless I also smoke 15 to 30 USD Padron and Fuentes? Yeah, logic seems right......

I actively, regularly smoke both. I'm about 50/50 at this point Cuban/Non-Cuban, which when you consider the number of NC Cigar producing countries, really means I smoke more Cuban cigars than any other country of origin. I just love cigars of all varieties, styles, sizes, shapes, etc.

• Like 1

both, but I tend to stick mostly to cubans, but like metioned a quality cigar is a quality cigar.

• Like 2

Well, uh the first and third options are the same answer aren't they?? :thinking: And to really confess...the NC's actually are smoked by me every now & then to help me appreciate my CC's more! :whistle:

• Like 2

My vote is for both. Living in the US, Cuban cigars are not as readily available as they are for...well, every other country in the world. And I enjoy both quite a bit, Cuban cigars speak for themselves, but I think there are a lot of quality NC cigars to be had as well. I'm not satisfied with the thought that one country is the best, to me they all have something good to offer.

• Like 2

I spent two years trying anything and everything non-Cuban that I could get my hands on and I found a few gems. Ultimately that lead to Cubans though, and I haven't bought any non's since. There are some I will always have around, but I haven't quite scratched the surface of what Cuba has to offer, so that is where I will concentrate my purchases for some time.

• Like 3

I enjoy both, Compared side by side, I think the Best of the Cubans always wins over the Best of the Non-Cubans, but there are a lot of great non-cubans that can stand up against alot of the Cubans now a days. One thing is for sure though, there is no mistaking that authentic Cuban taste ! Many have tried and some have come close, but that is one thing that has not and can not be replicated. But that doesn't mean other flavors can't be just as good. I think it's rediculous when some Non-Cuban makers spend so much time and marketing trying to get into the public's brain that the seed is of Cuban decent, the wrapper is form cuban decent, the recipe was smuggled out from cuba, the family is from cuban decent, and the roller was a famous cuban roller. That's all fine and dandy, but what's great about such products made from the earth is they are leaving out the MOST IMPORTANT KEY to the recipe- The soil and secondly the weather and ambient surroundings. That can't be replicated. The soil that the tobac is grown in in Cuba combined with the surroundings and the weather, is exactly what makes it stand apart. It's just like wine. Does California make some great wine - sure, of course they do, so does Australia, South Africa, South America, and many other places. Would anybody be happy drinking a good quality wine from one of those places - Absolutely, but any one of those regions that tried to produce what they call a "Bordeaux style wine" will fall short, simply because they lack the main ingredient, the soil and weather patterns in the Bordeaux region of France that lends the grapevines such a unique and decedent taste structure. It is the same with cigars. Good flavor is just good flavor and it can be unique to each individuals palate, but there is no mistaking that the Cuban flavor profile is different, unique and one of a kind!

brazoseagle,

I could not have put it better then that, I rest my case. ;)

I stopped smoking NC cigar once I discovered the depth and complexity of the CC. I no longer smoke NC cigars, I think they are crap. Now since I have not pursued NC cigars in a decade there may me notable changes and good cigars. I am simply not the guy willing to look for them. I view them the same as EL's.

Many people read my opinionated positions and think I am not willing to experiment and continue to learn. A case can be made for that position. I am a guy who likes what he likes and rather than work on disproving what I have learned empirically, what has formed my opinions in the first place, I would rather sharpen my focus on what I know I do like. My focus is on smoking an excellent cigar every time I light one up. Paying for a poor cigar experience is not logical to me. I view an average cigar and a poor experience, rather than just as a new experience. I expect a lot from the cigars I have chosen. I would rather own 10 boxes of the same cigar, than a 10 box mix of other cigars. I am very focused on what I like.

If you are going to compare every cigar you smoke to a CC, then why bother? -Piggy

• Like 3

I've pretty much gone over to smoking Cubans. There are NCs I like a lot, but the town in which I live has a crap cigar selection and even crappier humidors in which the usual Altadis & General stuff is sold. As such I pretty much have to mail order sticks or drive two hours. Mailing is generally more cost effective, and when I have to get them shipped to me whether I choose CC or NC, buying Cubans just seems like the way to go. Plus with the ever changing taxation landscape on tobacco here, the NC smokes I like really aren't much cheaper than a lot of CCs I like these days.

• Like 1

I smoke both NCs and CCs. I have to admit that these days I'm smoking more CCs than NCs as that is where my palate has been taking me. I too do not abscribe to the belief that CCs are the end all be all of cigars. There is lots of variety out there and NCs do bring a lot to the table. I have friends also who rarely smoke CCs prefering the taste and strength of NCs. To each there own. I buy both, age both, smoke both, and I know that I always will. The balance may shift from time to time, but quite frankly I like experinceing different cigars and enjoy experimetning to see what is out there.

• Like 1

Both. Only in the last year have I really got into the CCs. Used to be 99% NC to 1% Cuban. In the last year, i'd say 40% of my collection is Cuban, and probably smoking at least 1 CC per week. So right now, considering I smoke 5-6 cigars a week, I am smoking 20% Cuban and 80% NC.

Give it another year, when some of my 09-10 stock is ready to smoke, and it will be 50-50. Another year after that, 80% Cuban and 20% NC. Not to mention picking up some aged stuff in trades and whatnot.

Why the switch? For the price, if you are able to buy newer Cubans and let them sit, with the age the Cubans just blows the doors off most NCs. And with NCs continuing to move to this "boutique" trend with tons of releases and the prices going up and up, i'd rather buy a box of Cuban Robustos (RASS, PSD4, BRC) over most NCs.

I'll still pick up some Tats and Fuentes, but almost all my money is going into Cubans right now. So I am smoking through the NCs while my Cubans age.

• Like 1

Can't vote because there are no option for me. I smoke only Cubans. Of course there might be a rare exception some day, at least one because I am having one Dutch cigar in my humidor. Some time ago I desperately tried to find a good NC, but failed. There are no cigars made outside of Cuba. Period.