Cubans & Non Cubans

I Smoke Cuban & Non Cuban  

764 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

there is a really good reason why the terminology is cubans vs non cubans as opposed to dominicans vs non dominicans. CUBANS ARE KING! I used to smoke NC's until I found myself here and boy am I glad I did.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoy both, Compared side by side, I think the Best of the Cubans always wins over the Best of the Non-Cubans, but there are a lot of great non-cubans that can stand up against alot of the Cubans no

Jesus, did I just read this??? ... I don't have sex with goats either! Unless I do, I have no idea how to make love; is that it??? Missing something? I'll risk it! This is the silliest post I have

So smoking BRC and PSD4 at 8 or so USD a pop is being a snob, unless I also smoke 15 to 30 USD Padron and Fuentes? Yeah, logic seems right......

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it has officialy begun. I have smoked both Cuban and NC's for years and was very heavily into the NC's during the last 2 or 3 years. The last several months though I have been moving away from them, just not getting the same satisfaction from them that I used to. Everytime I'm smoking an NC now the only thing I'm thinking is the fact that it's not a Cuban...I've listened to many arguements for the side of NC's but they just aren't anywhere close to the depth, balance and flavor of Cubans. I think the catalyst for me was one night recently I was sitting smoking an Opus X and although I do love Opus, it just wasn't the same as a good Cuban. I've started moving out my NC stock to make room for new Cuban arrivals! I will however still hold on to some NC stuff that I do enjoy still very much, Padron 64s, 26s, 40ths, 85ths, Tat Conjonu 2003's, Anejo's and yes I'm not quite ready to part with my Opus just yet, but everything else is on the way out...

Been exploring more NC's as of late. Flavor is there and construction is there. Especially have been exploring long and skinnies, which is lacking in the CC line up. Have bought and enjoyed:

Tatuaje Especiales

Illusione Holy Lance

Alec Bradley Tempus Creo

Some other fantastic NC's I've recently bought boxes of are:

Guillermo Leon Signature

Tatuaje La Casita Criolla

The NC's are far from the spicy, punch you in the mouth body types of cigars that I remember NC's being when I left that realm and became solely habanos. The NC's I've mentioned above are more akin to CC's in that they are more about flavor rather than power which is what brought me to the ISOM in the first place. For a while I have been exclusively CC's. Now, I don't really care if they are CC's or NC's, just that they are good flavor-wise and in construction. It's funny how cigar smokers spread their wings into CC's. At this moment for me, it's the opposite.

Best way to describe non-cuban vs Cuban is in terms on sports cars lol....

Mercedes SLR McLaren = Alec Bradley

Dodge's Viper SRT-10 = Rocky Patel

Carrera GT = Opus X

Aston Martin V12 Vanquish = Padron

All great cars and cigars but sometimes there’s nothing that can touch a Italian sports car, that has been hand built from the very beginning it’s also the same with Cubans.

Pagani Zonda = COHIBA

Ferrari F50 = Montecristo

Lamborghini Sesto Elemento = Partagás

Cuban cigars just have that rich spicy taste and sweet blends that sometimes NC can’t touch. I started smoking NC because in Canada there cheaper, the taxes are so high here you can’t always drop in during the weekend and grab a good quality Cuban because of the price Cubans fetch here + taxes, but once you try a good full flavoured Cuban you can’t go back I WONT GO BACK!.

I mostly smoke CC's however do have a soft spot for Padrons which IMO are the only non cubans that come close to the complexity of a CC.

That being said, CC's and NC's are unique to each other in their own right. I am sure there are threads for non Cuban cigars that feel the opposite to what the majority of us here at FOH feel about CC's?

I have recently sampled some of the Nub cigars which are not too bad at all. Noway is it a CC but for what it is, a boutique cigar, it was enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly smoke CC's however do have a soft spot for Padrons which IMO are the only non cubans that come close to the complexity of a CC.

That being said, CC's and NC's are unique to each other in their own right. I am sure there are threads for non Cuban cigars that feel the opposite to what the majority of us here at FOH feel about CC's?

I have recently sampled some of the Nub cigars which are not too bad at all. Noway is it a CC but for what it is, a boutique cigar, it was enjoyable.

You should try the Illusione Epernay line. To me they remind me of a CC more than any other NC.

Carrera GT = Opus X

All great cars and cigars but sometimes there’s nothing that can touch a Italian sports car, that has been hand built from the very beginning it’s also the same with Cubans.

Pagani Zonda = COHIBA

Cuban cigars just have that rich spicy taste and sweet blends that sometimes NC can’t touch. I started smoking NC because in Canada there cheaper, the taxes are so high here you can’t always drop in during the weekend and grab a good quality Cuban because of the price Cubans fetch here + taxes, but once you try a good full flavoured Cuban you can’t go back I WONT GO BACK!.

Alec Bradley and Rocky Patel?

What about Fuente, Diamond Crown, Davidoff, Ashton, Pepin, Tatuaje, Viaje, Illusione, EP Carrillo?

There is SOOOO much out there NC wise.

As for the Nicaraguan tobacco comment thing....you have a lot of companies setting up shop OR getting tobacco from Honduras right now. I guess the tobacco coming out of Honduras is very flavorful right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Carrera GT = Opus X

Pagani Zonda = COHIBA

This is a gem. An absolute gem.

I really like indonesian, peruvian, brazilian, and ecuadorian cigars.

Of the NC's that I have smoked for the past 5-7 years there are only a few that have impressed me:

1) My Father Le Bijou 1922 -- this cigar is consistently excellent. I have only had one with a tight draw and every other single has tasted and smoked the way I expected. It is truly a cigar worthy of any aficionados humidor.

2) La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor -- before the Belicoso placed so high in current ratings I was smoking Magnifico and Robustos and enjoying every single one. Not as complex as the My Father, but a very enjoyable smoke none the less.

3) La Flor Dominicana Factory Press II -- is a special additional released every year. Factory Press II is from 2007 and each cigar has been a 95+. The tobacco for the blend is aged 7-8 years and the wrapper is supposed to be 10 years old. The combination is a supremely refined and enjoyable cigar. It equals or surpasses any Cuban cigar I have smoked to date. To be fair what Cuban cigars are available with 10 yr aged wrappers?

What sets Cuban cigars apart for me and why do I chose to buy and smoke them almost exclusively? Most NC's just taste the same. There are the rare occasions where I am surprised (insert Factory Press), but that is the exception to the rule. Cuban cigars are just much more varied in character, which I love. There is nothing wrong with a good NC, but Cuban cigars are much more interesting to me.

I usually smoke NC's on the golf course as they are typically one dimensonal and I can't focus while I'm hacking it up. The way taxes are going in MD, its cheaper to order CC's.

Well, it has officialy begun. I have smoked both Cuban and NC's for years and was very heavily into the NC's during the last 2 or 3 years. The last several months though I have been moving away from them, just not getting the same satisfaction from them that I used to. Everytime I'm smoking an NC now the only thing I'm thinking is the fact that it's not a Cuban...I've listened to many arguements for the side of NC's but they just aren't anywhere close to the depth, balance and flavor of Cubans. I think the catalyst for me was one night recently I was sitting smoking an Opus X and although I do love Opus, it just wasn't the same as a good Cuban. I've started moving out my NC stock to make room for new Cuban arrivals! I will however still hold on to some NC stuff that I do enjoy still very much, Padron 64s, 26s, 40ths, 85ths, Tat Conjonu 2003's, Anejo's and yes I'm not quite ready to part with my Opus just yet, but everything else is on the way out...

I agree with this... but for me Davidoff/Opus and La Aurora preferido tubos. Matthew has a thing for Padrons #'s.

Anything from Rocky Pootel, Poodermo, Poodilla... Well...

I smoke both and both can be good. I actually like the Padron '1000's' series like the 3000 Maduro with about a year on them. For the price they are very good, and Padron is very good about consistency and quality. Ive never had a plugged Padron and the flavor is very consistent. I know there are cigars like the Opus X which Ive had a dozen or so, and while they are good Im not going to scour the internet looking for them, and most of the time you do find them the seller wants double MSRP.

However there is the characteristic CC taste, and no NC is going to every get that throughout the whole cigar. Ive had some NC's which give you that taste but its like 1 or 2 puffs then quickly goes away. Another thing Ive found is that a CC is usually good down to the last inch. Most CC's Ive had get bitter and chemical tasting the last 1-2" or around where the band is. Ive smoked tons of different NC's and its so consistent to get this nasty bitterness and taste around the band area. I usually toss them as soon as I get this to not ruin the rest of the taste I got. Most CC's I smoke all the way to the end, and the taste is still good. Ive only had a few that got the bitterness at the end but you still get a good taste out of them.

I'm am about 3 to 1 (CC to NC). I will not be purchasing anymore NC when these are finished. I'm trying to finish the NCs first, as to give my young Cuban boxes some time to age. However, when i go to the humidor to pull a NC. I can't help but grab a habanos.

I smoke both, but price for price the Cubans tend to have a flavor profile that I prefer. I smoke some NC's for the enjoyment of it, but many NC's are cheap enough that although I like the taste, I don't necessarily have to engross myself into the experience, i.e. when I'm working in the yard or my woodshop.

I usually tend towards the Cuban side; however, it seems to me that you can have good cigars and bad cigars equally either Cuban or non Cuban however I think that because of the shear volume of non Cuban cigars and new brands loping up that the likelyhood of finding a bad non Cuban is higher.