Cubans & Non Cubans

I Smoke Cuban & Non Cuban  

764 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can't vote because there are no option for me. I smoke only Cubans. Of course there might be a rare exception some day, at least one because I am having one Dutch cigar in my humidor. Some time ago I desperately tried to find a good NC, but failed. There are no cigars made outside of Cuba. Period.

Try a Padron 1964 Anniversario or a Fuente Fuente Opus X if you get the oppurtunity. Not to say they will be better than a comparably priced Cuban but they are fantastic, one of a kind cigars. I'm sure many people saying they smoke a few NC are smoking these two cigars.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoy both, Compared side by side, I think the Best of the Cubans always wins over the Best of the Non-Cubans, but there are a lot of great non-cubans that can stand up against alot of the Cubans no

Jesus, did I just read this??? ... I don't have sex with goats either! Unless I do, I have no idea how to make love; is that it??? Missing something? I'll risk it! This is the silliest post I have

So smoking BRC and PSD4 at 8 or so USD a pop is being a snob, unless I also smoke 15 to 30 USD Padron and Fuentes? Yeah, logic seems right......

I think the argument that can be made between Cubans and non-Cubans is this. There are great NC cigars but the great ones cost a lot of money. One could find a cheaper CC that could rival a more expensive NC. Price isn't necessarily related to quality but being from the U.S. I can tell you that there are so few cheaply priced cigars that are "cracka's". As a matter of fact, I can't think of one. The great NC are all expensive. Take the same money you spend on one of these cigars and buy a CC for the same price and your smoking something epic.

Interesting old thread. I always thought NC meant Nicaraguan cigar but I'm guessing people use it for "non-cuban"? Anyway, only smoke NC if I go to a b&m since CC's aren't available in the US. My stash? 100% cuban. The way I see it, why spend MORE money for NC's when I can buy CC's for cheaper?

I did have a couple of decent NC's though, like AF short story, padron 1964 and a tatuaje that looked like a Monte 2. All were decent, but not as good as a CC. They have a different taste and most of the times the wrappers are very different. I do want to try a Opus X someday, but not at the price they're going for. I would rather smoke a BHK.

There are great NC cigars but the great ones cost a lot of money...The great NC are all expensive.

All under $5:

EPC Maduro Regalias Real

AF Chateau Fuente SG

AF 858 Maduro

LA Cameroon

LAdC EE Lancero (FPG)

Padron panatelas/londres

Graycliff Blue/Black

FWIW, I find the Padron Annie's unsmokeable. Davidoff's are completely overpriced, although their Super Selection #11 is decent. Of course, opinions are like...you know.

Still enjoy NC since starting to smoke CC, but I am much more picky with my selections as far as NC go. I only now smoke boutique brands like Tatuaje and Illusione.

I haven't had a NC in months but when I do smoke NC I usually reach for RP Vintage 2003, Padron 1964, Davidoff Colorado Claro or some of the tatuaje offerings. However, I find it harder and harder to justify paying MORE money on a NC than I would for a better CC.

I tried an NC last night for the first time in awhile. It was a Tat J21, which is one of the better Tat's...First few puffs were total pepper blasts, which is common, and then very simple, strong and dirty tasting. I could not get past the first half. I mean well when I try an NC, but my taste buds don't appreciate it...brutish cigars- not what I am looking for.

I used to love AF, Tats, Illusione, etc. but my tastes have changed and they just don't deliver in flavor and style. In my experience that is.

Tatuaje was blended to mimic old Partagas. The pepper in the front was to serve as a palate waker. That said, if it's not your cup of tea, it's not your cup of tea. However, it is, for a bunch of other people. Supposedly.

The Brown label gets stronger over time. I have found the OR '04 Red labels to be quite excellent.

I tried an NC last night for the first time in awhile. It was a Tat J21, which is one of the better Tat's...First few puffs were total pepper blasts, which is common, and then very simple, strong and dirty tasting. I could not get past the first half. I mean well when I try an NC, but my taste buds don't appreciate it...brutish cigars- not what I am looking for.

I used to love AF, Tats, Illusione, etc. but my tastes have changed and they just don't deliver in flavor and style. In my experience that is.

Your palate is working, that's why ;)

All under $5:

EPC Maduro Regalias Real

AF Chateau Fuente SG

AF 858 Maduro

LA Cameroon

LAdC EE Lancero (FPG)

Padron panatelas/londres

Graycliff Blue/Black

FWIW, I find the Padron Annie's unsmokeable. Davidoff's are completely overpriced, although their Super Selection #11 is decent. Of course, opinions are like...you know.

Out of all of those cigars the only one I think is good (not great) is Chateau Fuente. Again, opinions...

Had a LGC Serie R #5 today. Only reason I bought it was because I got a nice torch and a travel humi with it and I had a #4 before which was pretty good. Total disappointment. Lack of flavor and smoke and the huge ring gauge just did not do it for me. First time in a while I had to chuck it less than half way through. I'll let them sit for a while and see if they get any better...if not I guess they'll make great gifts!

its not like i have "never" smoked a non cuban cigar but the last one was (probably) '02...so i voted for "never".

i do have a few...over the years with trades and gifts with U.S. cigar smokers...probably have 50 nc cigars(all well taken care of)in a seperate humidor.

derrek

I've smoked both the CC and NC version of several CC marcas...not necessarily the same vitola, but you get the picture. I would say n every case, the CC has been superior to the NC in terns of flavors and complexity, but I think most will find (like I did) that the construction of the NCs and the consistency of that construction are superior in their NC counterparts. Marcas that I've smoked in both formats are Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, Cohiba, Punch, Partagas, Sancho Panza, Por Larranaga, Trinidad and Bolivar. Can't account for the others.

I've found this a very interesting thread. I'm new to cigars ( approx 10 months at a cigar a day ) and the one thing that has barely been mentioned has been construction. I'm learning that construction is very important to me. If a cigar is plugged or almost plugged there is no way to enjoy it. Out of the Cubans I've had ( approx 20 ) only two had good construction. Not all were plugged, a few were very under filled. With NC's out of the hundreds I've had approximately 4 had terrible construction.

Now some of the Cubans were gifts bought by friends and I suspect that some were not stored properly but this also includes cigars bought through Rob. I obviously am continuing to look for the Cuban I love otherwise I wouldn't be here at FoH but so far I'm definitely leaning towards NC's.

General Cigar and Altadis make the majority of the CNNCs(Cuban Named Non Cubans) as I like to call them. General makes Partagas, Punch, LGC, HDM, Bolivar, Ramon Allones and Cohiba. Altadis makes H Up, RyJ and Monte.

My biggest issues is all the different kinds of filler going into the cigars. Some of these cigars have filler from 3 or more countries. And with the amount of production going on, not sure how good the quality would be.

The CNNC Cohibas (straight red dot and puro dominicana) are probably the best. But for the price, would MUCH rather smoke regular production CCs. The CNNC Cohibas aren't as expensive as Cuban Cohibas, but you will still see the CNNC Cohibas going over $10 a stick.

My only issue with CCs is aging. Some are great young, some not so much. I'm probably 70/30 CC vs. NC now, but I still keep some Fuentes, Tats, Illusiones, EPCs and Liga Privadas around. I do enjoy a lot of NCs, but pound for pound CCs offer better flavor.

Construction wise, i'd give the upper hand to NCs. I've had very very few constructions issues with NCs. And when you smoke cigars like the Liga Privada, it's hard to smoke anything else because the construction is simply amazing. I've had very good luck with CCs, maybe 10-15 "dowel rods." But I will notice that cigars within the same box will smoke different. Some very open, some very tight.

But I don't give up on cigars. I drill them, poke them, stretch them. I take it as a challenge to get it to smoke right.

Anyway, if you only smoke NCs because you think they "aren't worth it." You are missing out. If you only smoke CCs because you are a CC snob, then you are missing out.