Cubans & Non Cubans

I Smoke Cuban & Non Cuban  

764 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoy both, Compared side by side, I think the Best of the Cubans always wins over the Best of the Non-Cubans, but there are a lot of great non-cubans that can stand up against alot of the Cubans no

Jesus, did I just read this??? ... I don't have sex with goats either! Unless I do, I have no idea how to make love; is that it??? Missing something? I'll risk it! This is the silliest post I have

So smoking BRC and PSD4 at 8 or so USD a pop is being a snob, unless I also smoke 15 to 30 USD Padron and Fuentes? Yeah, logic seems right......

I've been looking at some of your posts and I find them very interesting If nothing else. I enjoy mostly Cubans but

that does not mean that I don't like ,once in a while, an N.C. which If you look closely, you can find something good.(VERY RARELY).

That said ,you can't compare what Is not compareable ,can you ? Cubans are not the best cigars for everyone, but very close. I don't understand COLT 45 when he says that Cuban cigars MAY NOT be what we think.I believe that they are. Explain yourself on that Ross, please.

What I don't like Is the marketing. The N.C.'s have with their CUBA this and CUBA that attaitude. They don'r even respect the people that opened their arms to them,They are good at that ,but not their

cigars. Because they are compareing. The Cuban rollers, the Cuban ways and the Cuban Heritage. For me,It's all B.S. At the same time,they are the first to say that the Cubans are no longer what they used to be . They are,for sure,better then before,look at the older cigars and you'll understand .THEY just don't want to admit It. . So? smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

That's all folks.Don't believe their B.S.and don't trust people who cry since 50 years and are a lot better off now then what they used to be .That's all ,Thank you for reading.If I hurt anyone,I'M SORRY,but that's how I feel about all of this .

Here is the long and short of it:

Cuban cigars blended and rolled for the 99% of the world where they aren't illegal to buy.

Non-Cuban cigars are blended and rolled for the 1% of the world where Cuban cigars are illegal to buy.

Most, but not all, NC cigars have a very similar profile to each other. They are strong, dark and targeted at the US cigar smoker. Only very recently have I seen variants, that weren't $20 Davidoff's, trying to be more complex and interesting. I enjoy the odd NC now and again, but 90% of the cigars I smoked are Cuban. I'm sorry for the NC lovers who just can't for the life of them "get" what the big deal is about Cuban cigars. Maybe they haven't smoked a real one or have only bought crappy product from Gray vendors who buy crap??? There is no way for me to know, but what I do know is the best NC's are no better than a good Cuban cigar. However, the exceptional Cuban cigars I have smoked were head and shoulders above the best NC I have ever smoked. More flavors, more complexity and just way more interesting to smoke.

Cheers!

I smoke about 40% CC and 60% NC. However that number is skewed as I live in the states where CC's are not avail except for mail order sources. If I lived abroad I do think I would be closer to 90% 10%nc. I say that because there are many great NCs available. But from a value perspective I say there are more CCs that are great for the price. The NC's I like are rather expensive similar to smoking only Cohibas. But its not to say that the AF Anjeo sharks, OpusXs, Tatuaje lanceros, and a few Davidoff sticks I smoke are not great. They are. They are just not a value as they are the top of the line stuff.

All that said I tend not to like the typical heavy Ligero based cigars that are made for most of the US market. Full bodided Nicaraguan and Dominican does not mean the same as CCs.

I smoke 90% NC and 10% CC (estimate). I enjoy NC cigars mostly because I can get them for $2-$4 a cigar and still enjoy them. The CCs I smoke are a nice treat. If my cigar budget gets a boost this would swing to more CC. I agree for the most part they are better, even for the money. I would take a BRC over any other $10 robusto on the NC market, money no object.

It looks like your Avatar is an Anejo Shark :) Good cigars!

Yeah it is. I am fortunate enough to buy a few boxes a year of Anjeo Sharks and Opus Sharks. Some of my favorite NCs out there.

I have only discovered cigars a year ago, after my better half went to Cuba with our two daughters and brought back some fine CCs she bought at the Partagas factory. I was almost instantly hooked. I must admit I love the ritual that surrounds cigar smoking as much as their taste. Here in Canada, cigars are expensive but CCs are readily available in B&M stores. We have an LCDH store right here in Montreal making sampling & tasting CCs easy.

So since this intererest in cigars is very recent and I have access to what is arguably considered the best product (either locally or through *****int), I have not yet ventured in the non CC world.

I don't understand COLT 45 when he says that Cuban cigars MAY NOT be what we think.I believe that they are. Explain yourself on that Ross, please.

Guy I've just read this - I'm assuming you are referring to this quote:

.......as opposed to Cubans, which are made completely of Cuban tobacco (at least as we're led

to believe :-)

If I recall correctly (this is a two year old discussion), I said it in jest - how many times have we heard or read that the Cubans supplement their supply of tobacco with tobacco from other countries? I don't necessarily believe it (though if it was ever shown to be true, well, nothing really surprises me anymore), but I've read / heard it stated as fact by others on more than one occasion, and I was most likely taking a jab at that.

If you were in fact referring to something else. please let me know, and I'll do my best to articulate my thoughts.

Great to have you posting :-)

Living in the US I started out smoking NC's because that is what's available here. Now I am smoking through my NC stock and buying CC's only. Soon it will be 100% Cubans.

As others have stated the best NC cant compare to a average CC.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

100% CC's

I hate NC's,

the last NC I had was in 2010, a Padron Anniversary stick - threw it out halfway through, just awful tasting and one note. It stuck on my palate for 3 days. no thanks!

When I first started to get into cigars it was almost 100% NCs because of the cost and how much easier it was to get them here in Canada (from what I knew back then). The downside of NCs as I see it is the dizzying amount of lines and brands. Sometimes it feels like a crap shoot trying to find a good NCs (thought through trial and error I think I have).

The upside of NCs from my limited experiences with CCs is the construction. I find the draws much more consistent on NCs then I have experienced with CC. I hope this changes and I'm going to look into getting some 60% humidity beads to see if it makes a difference (using 65% for my whole collection now).

If I recall correctly (this is a two year old discussion), I said it in jest - how many times have we heard or read that the Cubans supplement their supply of tobacco with tobacco from other countries? I don't necessarily believe it (though if it was ever shown to be true, well, nothing really surprises me anymore), but I've read / heard it stated as fact by others on more than one occasion, and I was most likely taking a jab at that.

If you were in fact referring to something else. please let me know, and I'll do my best to articulate my thoughts.

Dear Ross,

Can you please tell me WHERE you read this ,It 's news to me .I don't see the Cuban buying from other conutries,

Tobacco; They can't afford.It.But also, What for? They already have ,on their soil, The best Tobacco in the world.

Guy

...They already have ,on their soil, The best Tobacco in the world.

Guy

Hey there Guy,

There's been folklore about this for years. It doesn't make much sense to me either. But the key consideration is not whether Cubans in the cigar industry have pride and passion for their art, but whether these are one and the same as the decision makers/people in power.

Wilkey

Dear Ross,

Can you please tell me WHERE you read this ,It 's news to me .I don't see the Cuban buying from other conutries,

Tobacco; They can't afford.It.But also, What for? They already have ,on their soil, The best Tobacco in the world.

Guy

Please don't use pragmatic logic in your posts Guy... this is a cigar forum after all and frankly myths are way more interesting than facts!!! -LOL Long live the tooth fairy!

How many times have the Cubans stiffed the brooch maker, or the tubo maker, or not paid this bill or that? You hit it right on the head my friend. The Cubans can barely afford to pay to keep the lights on, much less buy commodities that they produce with slave labor rates, from other countries. Not to mention, from expatriated Cubans that often run those companies...

-Piggy

^^^^X2

It's every American B&M owners favorite story to try and even the playing field between NC's and CC's even if it's 100% BS. But if it's not the Cuban's using other leaf, it's the Cubans exporting their own leaf and it somehow ending up in NC cigars. Either way it's probably bunk, but who cares. NC's aren't Cuban's and Cuban's aren't NC's. If they were all alike this hobby would be 100 times more boring.

P.S. Which NC maker was marketing cigars they said were rolled with Pre-Embargo Cuban tobacco they just happened to source from some select sources to roll their cigar with? But they wouldn't disclose the actual amount or type of tobacco in each cigar . . . Sounds tasty though, some 50 year old binder tobacco, yummy!

^^^^X2

It's every American B&M owners favorite story to try and even the playing field between NC's and CC's even if it's 100% BS. But if it's not the Cuban's using other leaf, it's the Cubans exporting their own leaf and it somehow ending up in NC cigars. Either way it's probably bunk, but who cares. NC's aren't Cuban's and Cuban's aren't NC's. If they were all alike this hobby would be 100 times more boring.

P.S. Which NC maker was marketing cigars they said were rolled with Pre-Embargo Cuban tobacco they just happened to source from some select sources to roll their cigar with? But they wouldn't disclose the actual amount or type of tobacco in each cigar . . . Sounds tasty though, some 50 year old binder tobacco, yummy!

Camacho Pre Embargo......nonsense!

• Like 1

^^^^X2

It's not just a B&M story. :rolleyes: A friend of mine went to the Drew Estates Cigar Safari in April and some Cuban expats working there were talking about how Cuba is importing or exporting tobacco for various reasons. I think it just adds some FUD and some "feel good" vibes in regards to smoking NC's.

There is also a small brand, PINAR, that claims to have purchased pre embargo Cuban Leaf that was tied up in probate. They don't have a website it seems. I did find this writeup though.

Can you please tell me WHERE you read this .....

Guy, as the guys have mentioned, it's folklore / myth / hearsay - kind of like Havanas being rolled on the thighs of virgins, the Cubans cooking their tobacco, Smithy liking girls, etc. I mentioned it jokingly - not as a statement of fact - but as this discuusion is two years old, the context eludes me.

20% cuban 80% NC

mostly tatuaje and cabaiguan non cubans. i always keep 2 boxes of tat regios and 2 boxes of cabaiguan robustos in my main humidor. anyone not from the US thats interested in trying a TAT shoot me a PM... love to spread the wealth.

20% cuban 80% NC

mostly tatuaje and cabaiguan non cubans. i always keep 2 boxes of tat regios and 2 boxes of cabaiguan robustos in my main humidor. anyone not from the US thats interested in trying a TAT shoot me a PM... love to spread the wealth.

Very nice of you, Jringe. I've always liked the Cabby Guapos 46. An excellent cigar that I enjoy almost as much as a good Habanos.

Wilkey