Dry Age "Cheating" on your steaks. Get the same great Steakhouse taste and texture at home

brazoseagle

going to costco tonight, i've been told they have good quality meat, so going to try this for dinner Sat night :)

Costco does have great Prime Beef selections!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Howdy, I know it is cliche, but being from Texas, I consider myself an expert in the areas of all things grilling and BBQ'ing (smoking). I've been grilling and cooking since I've been a teenager, le

Yes, made it 31 days and the finale was epic My father, brother and I basically grunted like cavemen eating these. My wife was a bit nervous about the aging then starting taking a couple bites

Nice thread, I got a 7 bone ribeye at 22 days as we speak. First time for me. Can't wait to eat her:)

Just bought 2 1lb bone ins for me and the wife this weekend. aging in the fridge as we speak. I always wondered why I could never get the same steakhouse flavor. I will add pics and coment after the weekend. cant wait, nowjust have to pick a good smoke for afterwards

Awesome! Can't wait to see pics! Gives us the full play by play, drinks and after dinner smoke choice.

good thread :) As a big meat eater, and follower of a high fat/protein diet, i eat a lot of meat, and love a good steak. Definitely going to try this on the weekend, starting Thursday night for the 48 hour prep :)

Tell us how it turns out!! I've got a couple in the fridge right now waiting for their destiny!

just did the seasoning and putting back in fridge after 24 hours - hope i wasnt too liberal and aggressive with the salt/pepper...i didn't skimp lol

Liberal on the S&P is good!!!!

Alright folllowed all the steps. wasnt sure how much seasoning so I just covered liberally. Tried to be a big boy and not mess with the meat once on the grill and keep opening the lid of my grill. First side left it on for 4 minutes and then opened the lid and both my steaks were on fire (i guess when using olive oil you have to keep a close eye). Saved them the best I could but were definetely well done. I always order medium when out at a steakhouse so I wasnt pleased. Steaks did have tremendous flavor. We had corn and mashed potatoes and french bread as sides. My wife raved on for hours about the meat(she prefers well done). So come wednesday I will try again. No time for after dinner smoke so I had a boli PC while grilling. Thanks Brazo for the post, Ive already sent it to others, my father in law is one of them. He has a big green egg and is a meat aficianado himself.

By the way, sweat tea for drinks cant do alcohol, in recovery

post-9842-0-98481800-1316916416.jpg

post-9842-0-95432200-1316916449.jpg

• Like 1

Had my steaks done using this method tonight. They were very good, but a bit salty. I will not use so much next time :) - thank you very much for this method tho, hopefully i can find some bone in rib steaks next time instead of ribeyes tho - but all in all, a very positive experience, a little love can make a big difference in a nice steak

Question about grilling steaks in general that occured to me when i read the previous post - should i keep the lid open while they cook, or close it? I ask because my propane grill can only get so hot, and even with the steaks having rested on the counter for a good 2 hours, after 4-5 minutes per side, it was still rare in the middle of some of them. GOod thing i like rare :) - but just curious about the closing of the lid.

Thanks for the details! Reason for flare ups are caused by 3 things. 1) grill under the grates is not clean or degreased the best it can 2) too much olive oil 3)* Prime Steaks and Ribeyes in general have more fat content than other steaks thaat is the kind of fat with a lower melting point. I always cook with my lid closed and have very few flare ups. Flare ups to an extent provide great flavor, but too much can cause taste and overcooking problems. Next time monitor it, let it flame up for about 15 seconds and move to a cooker part if the grill to finish ( usually the front of the grill). Hope this helps. All of my times and temps in the original post are specific to my grill. You will Just have some trial and error to find the perfect metrics for yours.

quote name='deanedmond' timestamp='1316917025' post='256905']

Alright folllowed all the steps. wasnt sure how much seasoning so I just covered liberally. Tried to be a big boy and not mess with the meat once on the grill and keep opening the lid of my grill. First side left it on for 4 minutes and then opened the lid and both my steaks were on fire (i guess when using olive oil you have to keep a close eye). Saved them the best I could but were definetely well done.

I always order medium when out at a steakhouse so I wasnt pleased. Steaks did have tremendous flavor. We had corn and mashed potatoes and french bread as sides. My wife raved on for hours about the meat(she prefers well done). So come wednesday I will try again. No time for after dinner smoke so I had a boli PC while grilling. Thanks Brazo for the post, Ive already sent it to others, my father in law is one of them. He has a big green egg and is a meat aficianado himself.

By the way, sweat tea for drinks cant do alcohol, in recovery

What kind of salt did you use? A good rule of thumb. The thicker the steak. The more liberal the salt. I usually cut steaks about 2 inches thick, so my salt levels are pretty liberal. Also the more fat in the steak the more liberal on the salt. If you don't have a lit of fat and it's not real thick, I recommend to ease back on the salt. I always use either kosher or sea salt.

About the grill, all of my details in the original post are specific to my grill, I pointed out I can get my grill anywhere from 750F-1100F. If you can't get it up that high it will take longer to cook each side. I would still always close the lid when cooking steak. If you can only get your grill up to like 450-550 I would do the following 2 stage method. 1) find the absolute hottest part of your grill ( usually in the middle towards the back). Sear your steaks on the hot part for 4-5 minutes per side. Then move to the front of the grill (usually less hot) for 3 minutes more per side ). Keep lid closed. Tend to flare ups quickly and you should be good to go! Next time you are in the market for a grill, look into ones that have some infrared burners to them, it will be an enlightening meat experience. Sometimes a little trial and error is needed to get the most accurate steak! Hope this helps, keep me posted on progress. I am going to post some pics of my latest from this weekend soon.

Had my steaks done using this method tonight. They were very good, but a bit salty. I will not use so much next time :) - thank you very much for this method tho, hopefully i can find some bone in rib steaks next time instead of ribeyes tho - but all in all, a very positive experience, a little love can make a big difference in a nice steak

Question about grilling steaks in general that occured to me when i read the previous post - should i keep the lid open while they cook, or close it? I ask because my propane grill can only get so hot, and even with the steaks having rested on the counter for a good 2 hours, after 4-5 minutes per side, it was still rare in the middle of some of them. GOod thing i like rare :) - but just curious about the closing of the lid.

Ok, here is my latest from this weekend (Friday Night).

-Prime Ribeye, -not bone in

-Prime Filet - (For the Wife)

-Sauteed Mushrooms - olive oil, butter, garilic, shallot, salt, pepper, white wine (degalze)

-Whole clove garilc Sourdough Bread

-Amstel Light

-Caymus Cabernet

-Trinidad Robusto "T" - ****Be sure to click on this picture to zoom in and just see how gorgeous these cigars are!!! This has been aged in my temp and humidity controlled humidor. It has about 2 years age on it. So gorgeous!!!!

Disclaimer: There is no water, oil, butter or photoshopping done to the meat. It is just that juicy and glistening with glorious meat moisture!

post-8544-0-93280700-1316977035.jpg

post-8544-0-16305400-1316977041.jpg

post-8544-0-04209600-1316977048.jpg

post-8544-0-12666100-1316977056.jpg

post-8544-0-58416400-1316978059.jpg

post-8544-0-08172800-1316977071.jpg

post-8544-0-96735800-1316977084.jpg

post-8544-0-34943600-1316977102.jpg

post-8544-0-56086700-1316977480.jpg

post-8544-0-88349600-1316977122.jpg

post-8544-0-72012300-1316977173.jpg

Kosher salt. Don't get me wrong, it was still a fantastic steak, but i just put too much salt. It was good this morning too. Cut a bit of the leftover into slices and pan fried real quick in butter just to warm through, great with an omelette :)

Next time i'll take pics! :)

What kind of salt did you use? A good rule of thumb. The thicker the steak. The more liberal the salt. I usually cut steaks about 2 inches thick, so my salt levels are pretty liberal. Also the more fat in the steak the more liberal on the salt. If you don't have a lit of fat and it's not real thick, I recommend to ease back on the salt. I always use either kosher or sea salt.

About the grill, all of my details in the original post are specific to my grill, I pointed out I can get my grill anywhere from 750F-1100F. If you can't get it up that high it will take longer to cook each side. I would still always close the lid when cooking steak. If you can only get your grill up to like 450-550 I would do the following 2 stage method. 1) find the absolute hottest part of your grill ( usually in the middle towards the back). Sear your steaks on the hot part for 4-5 minutes per side. Then move to the front of the grill (usually less hot) for 3 minutes more per side ). Keep lid closed. Tend to flare ups quickly and you should be good to go! Next time you are in the market for a grill, look into ones that have some infrared burners to them, it will be an enlightening meat experience. Sometimes a little trial and error is needed to get the most accurate steak! Hope this helps, keep me posted on progress. I am going to post some pics of my latest from this weekend soon.

• 2 weeks later...

VERY NICE brazoseagle!!:perfect10:

I will give your recipe a try. My wife and I absolutely love Rib Eye so this is perfect.

Whats the difference between normal sea salt flakes (Good quality salt) and Kosher Salt?

VERY NICE brazoseagle!!:perfect10:

I will give your recipe a try. My wife and I absolutely love Rib Eye so this is perfect.

Whats the difference between normal sea salt flakes (Good quality salt) and Kosher Salt?

Well the scientific answer is, kosher salt is mined and sea salt us harvested directly from farms of sea water that is evaporated. Kosher salt has smaller crystals and will break down easier, sea salt has larger crystals and will be large and gritty even after cooking.

Taste wise kosher salt tastes with more concentrated salinity, and finishes with a better texture.

Just put the steaks in the fridge - can't wait until Sunday! Just need to figure out what bottle of wine to pull out and what cigar I'm going to have after.

Just put the steaks in the fridge - can't wait until Sunday! Just need to figure out what bottle of wine to pull out and what cigar I'm going to have after.

Post Pics and how everything went first thing Monday!!!!

I'm wondering if I can use this method with a prime rib roast I'm cooking this weekend? I know I won't be able to dry it out as much as a steak but it should dry the outside somewhat.

Also the recipe I'm using calls for kosher salt. Can pickling salt be substituted?

thanks.

Yes on Prime Rib/ Whole Side of uncut Ribeyes!!

No on Pickling Salt - The only thing it's good for is Pickling and Popcorn.

On the Prime Rib, I have done mine in the fridge for a full 6-7 days before. The only thing about that is, once you are ready to cook, there is some trimming and cutting you need to do. You will want to trim the whole outside layer off before cooking. But what lies below the surface will be glorious!!!!!!!!!!! I have done this many times with the full rack.

Doing this again, put the steaks in the fridge this morning around 11:30 AM - I won't go so heavy on the kosher salt at the 24 hour mark tmrw as i did last time. I've got one Bone in Rib steak and one AAA grade ribeye - interested to see the taste difference, cant wait for monday aftn :)

Anyone ever done this with a frying pan, or only on the gas ?

Doing this again, put the steaks in the fridge this morning around 11:30 AM - I won't go so heavy on the kosher salt at the 24 hour mark tmrw as i did last time. I've got one Bone in Rib steak and one AAA grade ribeye - interested to see the taste difference, cant wait for monday aftn :)

The taste between grill and frying pan is worlds apart for several reasons:

1) the wide surface area contact gives a different kind of char compared to the char given by grates on the grill and the hot air. In my opinion, the pan is not as good of a taste

2) Your pan can't get as hot as your grill to achieve proper searing and perfect cooking

3)***Taste. The fat in the meat is what gives the steak such a great flavor. Now in both applications fat will cook out of the steak like it's supposed to do, but what the fat does next determines 2 completely different flavor profiles. The fat in the pan just stays there and it cooks in it's own fat, which sounds awesome but the temp required to cook a steak is way too high for the fat to properly cook something the right way. This is the main reason the steaks will be completely different. Likewise on the grill some fat cooks out but on the grill 2 glorious things happen. Due to the high heat some of the fat exposed on the surface will cook and provide a crust , the second most important part is the fat drips down and hits the grill and comes back up in smoke form infusing you steak with juicy, meaty, succulent smoke flavor. This can't be reproduced and this taste is what makes a true steak!

In my opinion, grill is the only way to go for steak. UNLESS, I am making my famous Chicken Fried Ribeye..........which you will have to wait for a future post coming soon!!!

P.S. Served with roasted poblano mashed potatoes and country cream gravy.

Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

After 48 hours "cheat dry aging"

dvXvp.jpg

On the fire

M1tiz.jpg

Max smells steak!

hVYBZ.jpg

After resting for 10 minutes

MvFvz.jpg

The AAA grade Ribeye

gIapW.jpg

The Non graded but still from the butcher prime rib steak

woqAo.jpg

I'm not sure if these are rare, medium rare or medium, but they both tasted great.

Verdict: both delicious. The AAA ribeye had a bit more meatier flavour, but when i say a bit, i mean a miniscule amount barely noticeable unless you were really looking for it. Maybe it's just mental and i think that since it cost almost twice as much - who knows. The AAA ribeye cost about 13-4 bux, and the bone in rib steak was 7-8 bux. In this case, i didn't get what i payed for from the fancy steak. Both great.

AAA Ribeye - 8.1/10

Bone in Ribsteak - 8.0/10

• Like 1