Best scotch for a newb

capnshazam

Tried Johnnie Walker Red, black, green, gold and blue (they came in a sampler pack I bought) I couldn't drink them straight had to mix them with ginger ale. I was wondering what is a good beginner scotch that I could start with and try drinking it without any mixers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mixed the Gold and the Blue? :gangup: you gotta drink those stright.... put the gold in the freezer for about 2-3 hours. That will change it up, add a lil ice if you want, but not so much where it will become watered down quickly. Keep Blue room temp and add ice as well, 3 cubes then slowly poor the Blue over it.

Is this your 1st time tring blended scotch? if so the 1st time is always the worst. by your 3rd time dinking it will be smooth... Just gotta get used to it.

Also, you need to find out what best suits your taste, single malt or blended... A good single malt starter imo is Glenfarcals 10 year old. Then you work your way up in age from there. it gets complecated at first with regions, barrel types etc....

if you have the coin, the balvenie 21, I believe its called Portwood is very good. As for any perceived harshness I would sip it neat and if its harsh add an ice cube and wait a few minutes, if still harsh add one more until its enjoyable for you. Before you know it you will be enjoying Laguvulin 16 neat.

That's easy...you have to go with the scotch of our Canadian brothers...Black Velvet baby...

blackvelvet.jpg

Balvenie DoubleWood 12YO.

I gotta agree with frank, i'm not much of a scotch drinker, but this one I do enjoy.

The Macallan 18 year old, Sherry Oak Cask, neat, is the way to go.

My "go to" Single Malt when I am reaching for one of my vintage cigars.

FWIW, The Edrington Group (who owns Macallan) own 62% of a DR Rum operation called Brugala.

They are releasing a new Rum "Brugala 1882" that the Macallan boys utilized the Sherry Oak Casks from Jerez, Spain. Cannot wait for it to arrive at my restaurant.

Another fine Scotch is Highland Park. 12 year old with ice, 18 year old neat.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys I will have to try all of these out. I did try the Johnnie Blue straight like was suggested and It wasn't bad. I'm gonna go grab a bottle of a couple of the ones that were suggested this weekend and see how it goes, I'm off from work and so is the wife so it might be a scotch tasting night at Timmy's house :D

Oh where to start. Do I love me some Scotch!

Highland Park 12 is a great scotch. The 18 is even better.

Auchentoshan Triple Wood is wonderful and the 12 is bad either. I'm drinking it with a VR Unicos right now. Beautiful.

Bowmore 12 is a great value Scotch. Good bang for the buck. Bowmore Mariner is good too if you can find it.

Glenfiddich 15 and 18 are nice too. Not crazy about the 12.

G

Tried Johnnie Walker Red, black, green, gold and blue (they came in a sampler pack I bought) I couldn't drink them straight had to mix them with ginger ale. I was wondering what is a good beginner scotch that I could start with and try drinking it without any mixers

Depending on what you can afford Balvenie double wood or Balvenie portwood. The Balvenie portwood is the smoothest Scotch I've tasted, I haven't been able to drink anything else with my RASCC since!

As for blends, I prefer JW Black and Famous Grouse. Try to mix with water and ice rather than Ginger ale if you're trying to ease your way into them and decrease the amount of water as you go. I think most blends should be enjoyed just on a little ice and maybe a splash of water. When you decide to ease into Single malts, I always recommend Oban 14 as others have said. Its great for beginners b/c it's fairly neutral yet it is still one of my favorites and always will be. Caol Ila 12 is a milder Islay if you want a kind introduction to the peat smoke of the Islands. Man...this is making my mouth water...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a relative newb as well when it comes to scotch, especially blends! But Glenmorangie 10 year old holds a special place in my heart. I prefer ice and water as to neat but, however, I prefer Glenmorangie neat! Very light, sweet (vanilla and citrus) and subtle! Perfect scotch on a hot summer's day!!!