Best scotch for a newb

capnshazam

Balvenie Doublewood is a good start. Smooth single malt's also include Dalwhinnie 15 and Glenfiddich 18. Keep in mind that most people can't just jump right in and start drinking scotch - it is an acquired taste. I travel a lot so I started drinking it on planes where I could take my time and sip it. Once you start appreciating it, there is nothing like it. By the way - please don't mix single malts with ginger ale - or any mixer - - it makes me cry to hear that - LOL

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys I've finally gotten around to trying the Balvenie Doublewood 12yr old. I was also looking for the Dalwhinnie 15 but the store by me didn't have it in stock. The Balvenie was excellent and I can definitely see myself enjoying that. I just added a splash of water to help open it up as was recommended on the Balvenie website. Thanks again for the recommendations and I'll be trying some of the other suggestions here in the near future.

Glad you discovered the Balvenie Doublewood....all of their scotches are phenomenal (and personal fav's of mine) if you can, try the Portwood (it's subtle but completely different)......since you are trying to appreciate the flavor of scotch neat (which I commend)...treat it like a good brandy/cognac.....small tongue wetting sips, aroma, let it open up. I've developed an appreciation for drinking bourbon neat years ago......unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your frame of reference)....drinking neat liquor can sneak up on you quick.... ; ). I typically go easier on the scotch and cognac....but I love bourbon with my cigars. so, go easy....try lots of different varieties and compare...just like a good cigar. splashes of water/ice cubes are subject to debate....but use a clean water source if u do. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to break into Scotch whisky also. So far my whisky experience is limited to Canadian whisky and American Bourbon, with Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, and Forty Creek being favorites. I went on a scotch buying mission at the LCBO and picked up J&B, Johnnie Walker Black, Highland Park 12 and some McCellands Islay and Speyside single malts. Anyone tried the McCellends, I'm assuming its geared towards beginners.

Like you I moved from American bourbons to scotch and mainly drink single malts and blends now. If you can get Japanese whisky locally, you should try ***** From The Barrel. It is a blended whisky bottled at 51.4%. I've tried it neat and with a splash of water, my own preference is drinking it neat. I find that it has great vanilla flavors and a certain sweetness that reminds me of a nice bourbon. Another everyday dram for me is Monkey Shoulder, it is a blended malt (AKA vatted malt) made of single malts from Kininvie, Balvenie and Glenfiddich.

I'm trying to break into Scotch whisky also. So far my whisky experience is limited to Canadian whisky and American Bourbon, with Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, and Forty Creek being favorites. I went on a scotch buying mission at the LCBO and picked up J&B, Johnnie Walker Black, Highland Park 12 and some McCellands Islay and Speyside single malts. Anyone tried the McCellends, I'm assuming its geared towards beginners.

Tried Johnnie Walker Red, black, green, gold and blue (they came in a sampler pack I bought) I couldn't drink them straight had to mix them with ginger ale. I was wondering what is a good beginner scotch that I could start with and try drinking it without any mixers

I think that Macallan 12 or Balvenie double wood are both excellent choices for a scotch beginner. Not nearly as peaty as some scotches. Smooth, with a hint of sweetness. Id check those two out. Reasonably priced too.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend a well ballanced allrounder, like

Cragganmore 12

Oban 14 or

Highland Park 12

to begin with.

As a next step you figure out if you have a preference for smokey, peaty -

go ahead with Talisker, Ardbeg, Lagavullin, Benriach 10, etc.

If you prefer sherry, fruit, sweet spice, european oak -

you could try Dalmore, Macallan, Glendronach, and so on...

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Alex

• 4 weeks later...

I know you ask for a newb scotch, but I am wondering why you dont consider drinking Irish whiskeys. These trippel distilled whiskeys are smooth and go very well with cigars to. I would recommend you pick up a bottle of bushmills. No doubt that you will fall in love with this stuff and once you have a more aqcuired taste you will grab for the scotch as well.

bushmills_portfolio.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just got 2 bottles from a local BotL who drew me in a Secret Santa that I am eager to try; Kracken rum and Macallan 10yr.

Oh Lord have mercy!!! Do yourself a favor and re-gift the Kraken before you even take a look at it. That stuff is VILE, no other way to put it :thumbsdwn: It truly does not even deserve the name Rum. Captain Morgan and Sailor Jerry wipe the floor with it, and that is saying something... ;)

Oh Lord have mercy!!! Do yourself a favor and re-gift the Kraken before you even take a look at it. That stuff is VILE, no other way to put it :thumbsdwn: It truly does not even deserve the name Rum. Captain Morgan and Sailor Jerry wipe the floor with it, and that is saying something... ;)

I've had Kracken before about a year or so ago but was using it for strong rum mixes and didn't mind it. Is there another good/premiumrum you would recommend?

I've had Kracken before about a year or so ago but was using it for strong rum mixes and didn't mind it. Is there another good/premiumrum you would recommend?

So many but here is what I currently enjoy:

Zacapa 23

Appleton Estate 12Y

Millonario 15 (hard to find)

Plantation 20 Extra Old

Cheers!

So many but here is what I currently enjoy:

Zacapa 23

Appleton Estate 12Y

Millonario 15 (hard to find)

Plantation 20 Extra Old

Cheers!

Thanks for the tips, I will check them out in the next few days and see what we have locally!

agreed, except that I find kracken a really nice mixing rum with coke. It has a big alky content and gets you drunk fast enough!

Haha, so just make a first strong drink and be set for only maintenance drinks for the night...that's a fair plan. Good to see you over here Shlomo, lots of familiar faces.

Dalwhinnie 15YO

I would go with this, relatively light, sweet and floral. The Old Pulteney 12 year old is also worth a look, it has a slightly different taste and is more salty, but just as nice.

Don't forget a (small) splash of water and drink at room temperature. Roll a sip round in your mouth to let the flavours come out before swallowing and you will see what all the fuss is about.

I couldn't stand scotch for years then all of a sudden - boom! I was smitten....

A good Bourbon is just as nice in my opinion as well.

Enjoy

A few recommendations roughly $100 or less:

Talisker 18

Suntory Hibiki 12/17 (not a traditional Scotch, but similar in many ways)

Eagle Rare 17 (bourbon)

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Lagavulin 16 and Oban 14...though the Lagavulin might be too peaty and iodiny for a "noob". I'm a noob though and I have taken a liking to the real strong peaty ones. Macallan 12 and Glenlivet 12 are pretty good as well.