Best scotch for a newb

capnshazam

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to hear some recommendations for beginners based on region. I just bought my first bottle of whisky, Balvenie Doublewood., and figure it might be nice to pick up a bottle from the different regions as a start to my new collection. Any suggestions of good starters/value are appreciated. Thanks!

I'd love to hear some recommendations for beginners based on region. I just bought my first bottle of whisky, Balvenie Doublewood., and figure it might be nice to pick up a bottle from the different regions as a start to my new collection. Any suggestions of good starters/value are appreciated. Thanks!

hmm thats a good one for the

Islands- Arran or Talisker

Highland- Glenmorangie wood finishes are great

Lowlands- Glenkinchie or Auchentoshan

Speyside- Aberlour or Glenfarclus

Islay- Lagavulin be prepared for a peat hit

Campbeltown- Springbank

from there enjoy your journey through the world of single malts.

Thanks Duane, great list! Although not on the listed I actually picked up a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 today, as it came with a Glencairn glass, and I wanted to compare the Glencairn to the Riedel I already have. I'll definitely hit up some of those on the list you provided.

Glenfiddich 12 is a great everyday grab bottle try the 15yo aswell my fav of the range.I use the glencairn with the ginger top, even got game and sat a glass aside for 24hrs with the top on, was a 60.4% ABV.

I am a fan of The Balvenie 12 Doublewood, and The Glenlivet 12, as well. Straight, no ice, for me. Pairs very well with cigars...at least for me any way. I have just recently tried The Balvenie 14 Carribbean Cask...very nice, indeed.

• 4 months later...

I'm a relative newb as well when it comes to scotch, especially blends! But Glenmorangie 10 year old holds a special place in my heart. I prefer ice and water as to neat but, however, I prefer Glenmorangie neat! Very light, sweet (vanilla and citrus) and subtle! Perfect scotch on a hot summer's day!!!

I couldn't agree more. The Glenmorangie 10 YO is still the standard by which all 10-12 YO Scotch is judged. It's a great place to start, and re-visit... often.

I couldn't agree more. The Glenmorangie 10 YO is still the standard by which all 10-12 YO Scotch is judged. It's a great place to start, and re-visit... often.

Especially since Costco often carries the 1.75l magnum bottle for a great price <hick> :buddies:

Although not on the listed I actually picked up a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 today, as it came with a Glencairn glass...

I've been through a few bottles of this as it is very common here in the UK and often given as Xmas presents etc. I have to say though that I didn't like it until very recently as I did not really like the Sherry side to it (it is aged in Sherry casks). I have finally acquired the taste so would quite happily indulge in a fairly large dram if offered.

At the budget end I agree that Glenmorangie 10 years is a good bench mark and a whisky that would please almost all tastes, so great for noobs. However you can't do Scotch by halves and I would suggests that noobs buy a bottle of something interesting and finish it - even if not liked at first, perhaps Ardbeg or Talisker (the latter at 45.8% :)).

Also I prefer Scotch straight and undiluted (ice if you have to) and cask strength ideally. This way you get the most concentrated aromas and it is great fun identifying what's what - just like with decent Armagnac or Cognac as there will literally be a bouquet of enchanting / intoxicating flavours.

I know you ask for a newb scotch, but I am wondering why you dont consider drinking Irish whiskeys. These trippel distilled whiskeys are smooth and go very well with cigars to. I would recommend you pick up a bottle of bushmills. No doubt that you will fall in love with this stuff and once you have a more aqcuired taste you will grab for the scotch as well.

bushmills_portfolio.jpg

Bushmills 'Black Bush' is the best bang for my Scotch $ bar none. If you can find 'Old Bushmills'... take her home as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I started with macallan 12..great bang for buck. It might be kind of strong to drink it neat the first few times, but you get used to it and start to enjoy it.

I would also recommend makers mark..although its a bourbon, I actually think its smoother than macallan and about half the price

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Glenlivet 12 for the first time last weekend. A really nice bouquet of fruit on the nose, specifically apple and pear. I liked this.

Bushmills 'Black Bush' is the best bang for my Scotch $ bar none. If you can find 'Old Bushmills'... take her home as well.

I like Bushmills Black a lot too.