2007 Saint Luis Rey Double Corona Group Tasting Cigar

Colt45

Construction: All seems in fine order.

Wrapper: Nice colorado in color, smooth to the touch with a light, even sheen of oil. Minor veining, a water spot - nice overall.

Pre-Light Aroma / Draw / Taste: Wonderful aroma of raisin and barnyard. Perfect draw with a light taste of cocoa and tobacco.

Draw / Burn / Smoke Volume: Exemplary on all counts.

Taste: Initial draws are buttery with white pepper spice. Smooth and quite dense. An inch or so in, hints of grass and charred wood,

with a between draw aftertaste of stewed fruit.

Midway through the first third it has settled into the buttery monotony I've come to expect from the SLR DC. Smooth, mouth coating smoke, a refined

density, sporadic hints of fruit, nicely medium plus in body, but overall just kind of....there - not offensive in any way, but not overtly endearing, either.

On into the middle third, it stays the course. An overall sense of high quality tobacco with little in the way of ancillary flavor and not much complexity.

Two ashings have shown a minor, fairly wide cone (a rolling hill versus a sharp peak) giving me wonder as to how these are blended.

With the addition of some savory spices, at midpoint there is a little more "oomph", which is quite welcome, though the overall character remains the

same. Another ashing and subsequent draws shows a complete lack of cone.

The final third shows a bit more earth with a slightly darker character while remaining smooth and balanced. Some herbal notes, a little tingle on

the tip of the tongue, again showing a small cone. And so it goes to the end - a core of fine tobacco with a smooth, fairly refined delivery.

Score: 90 (with points for excellent construction).

Comments: A solid, pleasant, well mannered cigar, though a cigar with no outstanding traits. As always, big thanks for allowing me to participate,

and I look forward to the rest of the reviews.

Good stuff, Rossco.

How would you say these have developed over the years? I know memory is fallible, but would be keen to hear your thoughts none the less.

I'll be getting on to my review in he next week, and am thoroughly looking forward to it!

Looking forward to seeing more reviews. I just sampled an 08 from an HQ Cab, and boy would I describe my experience differently in terms of flavor and complexity. The cab I have seems like the potential is endless...

Good stuff, Rossco.

How would you say these have developed over the years? I know memory is fallible, but would be keen to hear your thoughts none the less.

I'll be getting on to my review in he next week, and am thoroughly looking forward to it!

Ditto! I won't be able to get to mine for another week unfortunately. But definitely looking forward to it.

How would you say these have developed over the years?

Robbo, I'd say they've "come together", especially as I recall the year one cigar as really not being all that good. And Mike, I've smoked

a dozen or so SLR DC - most from '05, now four from '07. I guess they just don't do it for me, but I feel the same about the line in general.

Along with the DCs, a couple of churchills and a box of Serie A - for me they've all had that same type of buttery blandness with a touch of

pepper.

Robbo, I'd say they've "come together", especially as I recall the year one cigar as really not being all that good. And Mike, I've smoked

a dozen or so SLR DC - most from '05, now four from '07. I guess they just don't do it for me, but I feel the same about the line in general.

Along with the DCs, a couple of churchills and a box of Serie A - for me they've all had that same type of buttery blandness with a touch of

pepper.

Colt, I'd send you one of my 08's if you cared to post a quick review...I'd be interested to see if you felt it was the same...pm me if you are interested.

pepper.

Great review Ross, I've never really been into the 07's, somehow I didn't find

that 07's were reflecting what I enjoy in this brand.

Buttery ok but blandness ? could be.

For me, the 06's and the 08's were great complex smokes, at least from my stand point

when it comes to my Series A's.

It will be be interesting to see how things evolve next year. :looking:

• 2 weeks later...

Construction: Excellent on all counts. Construction was the highest standards with no hard spots.

Wrapper: Wrapper was Colorado shade, silky smooth, not a lot of oils.

Pre-Light Aroma / Draw / Taste: Aroma was of light tobacco with traces of honey notes and spice.

Draw / Burn / Smoke Volume: Best burn by far, no touchup until the last third. Smoke volume was a bit light.

Taste: Torched the foot and flavours were of light latte coffee, butter bread. Stayed the same throughout the 1st third. The burn was very good, slow and even. Ash was a light grey and held together well.

On the 2nd third, the SLR DC really opened up more and allows the true enjoyment of the cigar. The DC’s aroma were still very creamy, light sweetness and hints of cocoa. But a touch of spice adds a new dimension to the profile and complexity that it was lacking before. The burn was excellent throughout, nice and even, even when I am smoking it outdoors.

The last third was pretty much the same flavour profile. Pepper is now coming to the forth but very subtle and in the background. Burn have to be even out with slight touch-ups.

Score: 93

Comments: In conclusion, IMHO this is a mild flavour with a light mouth feel. After 4 yrs, it is finally showing us the potential of what it means to be SLR DC. The flavours are more balanced out, though I find it to be a bit lacking. A thoroughly enjoyable cigar, though at the moment would not be in my top 10 picks. There are just better cigars for a better price than this one. I am hoping the final year review, there will be even more improvement and prove me wrong.

Construction: By all appearances, this is a beautifully rolled cigar. Quite firm and consistent to the touch.

Wrapper: An attractive golden brown Colorado wrapper. Dry to the touch, very little in the way of oils.

Pre-Light Aroma / Draw / Taste: Unremarkable aroma cold. Classic aged tobacco with a very slight fruity note.

Draw / Burn / Smoke Volume: The draw was close to ideal. The burn was even throughout and required no touch-ups. Smoke volume was adequate.

Taste: The initial draws, although flavorful, were surprisingly mild. The profile was recognizably SLR, with a toasty and herbal tobacco core, and occasional hints of dried apricot. To my palate, this dried apricot element defines the quintessential SLR DC.

The first third was quite smooth, exhibiting a mild flavor profile that was pleasing, but not impressive. It was reminiscent of SLR DC's from previous vintages, but less intensely flavorful than examples I have enjoyed from 2006, 2004 and 2001.

The cigar was nothing if not consistent. The draw and burn were flawless, but the flavor profile was too mild for my preference. There were some pleasing herbal and dried apricot notes, but the cigar left me wanting more. More body, richness and flavor. There was little, if any, complexity. Despite the evident high quality tobacco, I would have to describe the cigar as boring.

Score: 87

Comments: Overall, a disappointing example of an SLR DC. After smoking this cigar, I re-read some of my reviews and notes from smoking previous vintages. They confirm my impression of this 2007 example as the least enjoyable of them all. It couldn't hold a candle to the vaunted 2001's. I am hoping that this cigar isn't representative of all early 2007 vintages, in part because I have an untouched ENE07 cab aging. It's time to open it up and make a comparison.

Thanks again for allowing me to participate in this interesting longitudinal review.

Buttery ok but blandness ? could be.

Guy, I think in this case, when I say blandness I probably mean waiting for just a little bit more. Good, straightforward cigars,

but just looking for or expecting a little more something.

Enjoyed the reviews, and look forward to the rest.

Finally got around to this. Sorry for the delay.

Oct 17, 2011

Stored at 63/68. Pairing with a Cote du Rhone red.

Construction: Overall very nice, though it feels a bit heavy and

perhaps tightly packed. Same as last two years.

Appearance is a reddish wrapper. Nice and oily. Pretty smooth

and appealing to the eye. Firm with no soft spots.

Pre-light aroma reveals a nice cedar and tobacco smell.

Pre-burn draw is toasty tobacco along with some choco-cocoa

sweetness and leather.

First Third.

Draw is perfect. Just enough resistance.

Initial flavor is clean toasty tobacco and a saltiness. Light gray ash initially.

Razor sharp burn. The nose is smooth with no spice. Same salty

nuttiness but not much back palate fruit on each puff's finish like last year.

Leather on the palate. Nice flavors to start. But seems muted from last year. Good amount of smoke.

This cigar is so hard/firm to the touch that you would think it would not draw well. But it does.

About an inch into this cigar it starts to remind me why I love this vitola so much. There is that cardamum and continuation of the leather and saltiness. This first section of this cigar starts showing a little white pepperish/spiciness. Finish is showing coffee. Like a sip of Torquino. Then it is gone. . .

The second inch has sliped into mimmicking the first. More leather and straight tobacco. And nuts! A solid medium with a wonderful mouthfeel. Ash is solid and not flaky. Thankfully.

As the first third ends there has been a slow but steady building

of flavors. I take back the muted comment above.

Second Third.

Second third has started off very smooth. Also on the nose! So far this cigar is good. Solidly good. Not yet great.

Strength is about the same. Less tannins but not greatly so. It is a continuation of the previous flavors.

This third has had no change in flavors and intensity. No pepper and more leather. No aggressivness. A very slight tingle on the lips.

Ash has remained solid light gray. I am noticing a very hard ash when ashing. Same as previously

Last Third.

Starting the last third. So far I characterize this as less fuller and more muted than previous soldiers. Smoother but no real depth. Tongue is tingling a bit. Tannins are less. Lots of leather is showing up just like last years. Aftertaste of cardamum and nuts. I want that coffee back.

Nose is smooth. This is pretty one demensional at this point. No

progression of flavors for this cigar after second third.

I struggle with rating this cigar against last years.

I give this about an 88 which is a negaive 2 from last year. I am disappointed that it has really not seemed to have progressed.

Maybe that is unfair. It has smoothed out but has not acquired any depth in flavors or complexity.

Ok, here goes year 3...

Construction..the cigar arrived pretty badly damaged. The wrapper was torn in a few places, and it had to be repaired prior to smoking. I harvested some wrapper from an 05 SLR DC to make the repairs. Other than the wrapper issues, the cigar appeared to be well rolled, no noticeable hard or soft spots.

Wrapper..colorado, with a bit of red thrown in. Smooth for the most part, only a few veins. No noticeable tooth.

Draw..excellent. Not too firm, which is something I often come across with DCs

Pre-light..nothing remarkable here.

Start..The cigar lights up evenly and produces abundant blue smoke. Bready, toasty and hints of cocoa. The cigar feels heavy, lots of tobacco, but still smokes well. The wrapper repairs are holding, there doesn't appear to be air getting through the wrapper and watering down the smoke. Mild to medium-bodied at this point.

Middle..A very pleasant smoke, though I'm not experiencing significant changes in flavor or complexity. Seems pretty strightforward, but not in a bad way. The flavors are staying fresh, not turning towards the charred/burned. And this is without any purging.

End..Cigar is finally starting to get hot and turns a bit sour towards the end. Pepper is starting to come through, overwhelming the cocoa and bready sweetness. Medium bodied at most at this point.

Overall, not quite as enjoyable as the prior years. A solid smoke to be sure, but it didn't have that certain sparkle that one sometimes experiences with an SLR DC.

Thanks again for allowing me to be a part of this experiment!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, spring is finally in the air here… temperatures are up and the sky is blue! What could be better than painting my deck all day and then kicking back with a mighty long smoke!

Using Rossco’s review template, I have recorded my observations, impression and score on this generously donated smoke. Thank you Prez for allowing me the opportunity to participate in this review. I sincerely appreciate the kind gesture!

Construction: Seems very good. The foot is flattened slightly though doesn’t appear to have caused any damage. There is one soft spot about half way down the cigar where there seems to be a loosely packed area. I’m not anticipating any problems from it though.

Wrapper: Light colorado. No blemishes and minimal veins. A great cap and firm wrap.

Pre-Light Aroma / Draw / Taste: Very lightly scented tea, herbal notes and light hay. I was hoping for a richer aroma but there’s not really much there. I’m hoping this isn’t a sign of lightly flavoured mild cigar. Draw is perfect. Taste is in line with the aroma – lightly flavoured tea and herbal notes.

Draw / Burn / Smoke Volume: Upon lighting there’s good smoke volume right from the get go…. though bugger all flavour or body. In line with my initial impressions, this is very light bodied and has very subtle flavours on the palate. It is a nice smoke which burns well… though I can already tell this is not the kind of cigar that is going to have me wanted to buy a cabinet of 50

As we progress through the middle and last thirds there is no change. It is lethargic all the way. Some may call it finesse… though I call it boring!

I’m no cigar master blender – but I would have wished for one more leaf of ligero to give me something a bit fuller in flavour and body.

The burn was clean and required minimal touching up throughout.

Taste: 86 – this is personal and subjective, though I’m struggling to find anything here.

Score: 88 – it was a good smoke; just not to my liking. I can give credit to construction and quality.

Comments: A good, though underwhelming cigar. A good everyday flavour profile - though would be nice if it had some character and charisma.

My impressions over last years sample is that this has lost some of its body and character – and I can’t see it get better with age. Though the fun is in the finding out!

Thanks again for the opportunity, Rob!

Due to a heavy cold, have only just been able to smoke my cigar. Should get my review in later today.

Well, finally and 4 days late....I have been somewhat distracted lately. Here are my notes....short & sweet.

Year 4 tasting.

Pre-cut: Silky wrapper,firm to the touch. Aroma not as intense as previous years.

Pre-light: Tight draw, clean tobacco taste.

Lighting: Hard to light and get going.

Initially: The draw was very hard, with no improvement as cigar begins to heat up. Very little smoke (I like plenty of smoke).

First third: Usual clean tobacco and toasted bread evident, with some pepper, however at this point, due to the hard drawing, my lungs are giving out and in desperation I cut 5cm off the head section. Finally I can now enjoy the cigar....but still only average smoke quantities available.

Remainder: the cigar does not change much, and towards the end becomes bitter and finally goes out. So disappointed, I did not bother to relight this one.

Opinion: I don't believe that this cigar has shown any improvement over the past 12 months (ignoring the disappointing tightness).

Footnote: I opened up the 5mm nub I cut off and found no obvious problems (twisting etc) causing the hard draw....just appeared to be too tightly packed.

Trevor.

• 1 month later...

fascinating stuff, guys. we just got to the vid review (smithy should have it edited by easter). i've suggested we actually leave the last one for a couple of years as not sure too much to be gained by just a year at this stage. what was interesting was that i had also had one the evening before. there was a difference.