Top 5 Bourbons

brazoseagle

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In no particular order: Woodford Reserve Eagle Rare 10 yr Four Rouses Single Barrel Elijah Craig 12 yr Angel's Envy

My top five bourbons overall are Four Roses Barrel Select OESO mash bill 13 year Four Roses LE 2013 small batch 125th William LaRue Weller fall 2009 release George T. Stagg fall 2014 release Fo

• 2 weeks later...

1. Bookers (it's just so full-bodied and complex with a great long finish)

2. Four Roses Single Barrel (big mouthfeel, but more delicate than Bookers)

3. Elmer T. Lee (good by itself, but pairs well with cigars and can be found fairly inexpensively)

4. Knob Creek Small Batch (a good staple, complex enough to pair with a range of cigars)

5. Makers Mark 46 (easy drinking, complex, more refreshing than most and at a good price)

Though not a bourbon, Macallan's Cask Strength is an excellent scotch that seems to get overlooked, even by cigar smokers (perhaps because it's more expensive than others with age statements).

My top 5:

1. Buffalo Trace (probably the best bang for the buck, but doesn't taste cheap at all)

2. 1792 Ridgemont Reserve

3. Bulleit (Frontier style bottle is way cool)

4. Knob Creek

5. Makers Mark

I really only drink the first three anymore - the KC and MM are usually picked up for parties or get togethers, etc.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

• 3 weeks later...

How could I forget Basil Hayden's? Gah! I'm changing my list up a bit to account for this horrible oversight:

1. Basil Hayden's

2. Buffalo Trace

3. 1792 Ridgemont Reserve

4. Bulleit

5. Knob Creek

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

What i really like about bourbon is the value. As far as spirits go the qpr cant be beat.

List of bourbons i drink the most but not in order

Buffalo trace- the best value out there

Four Roses small batch

Elijah Craig 12year- I prefer this over the 18 by a lot

Bulleit rye

Im not a fan of the wheat bourbons such as MM. The nose is really nice but it just doesnt do it for me

After reading this thread I decided to give Bourbons a try. When it comes to liquor I've been basically a Single Malt drinker and always had the misconception that Bourbons were too sweet to drink by themselves for my taste. I decided to buy a bottle of Willett Pot Still Reserve after recommendations from my local store clerk. Very enjoyable! It really surprised me as I found that it actually has some saltiness, nuttiness, on the palate. Looking forward to try other Bourbons.

1. Pappy 12

2. William Larue Weller

3. Old Maple Hill

4. Bookers

5. Makers 46

It made me laugh looking through the lists when someone would classify themselves as a "scotch guy" or something similar. I laugh because it makes me think, "what am I?", and my conclusion is "I'm an alcohol guy"! Scotch, Rum, Bourbon, Brandy, Cognac, Wine, Beer...I love it all. (I think that's how Tiger sees women.)

A lot you posted Pappy 15 & Pappy 20 as favorites. How the hell do you get your hands on a bottle?! As far as I can tell, here in Omaha you either need to be "on the list" to get called when stock comes in or get lucky. I got lucky and walked away with 2 bottles of the 12 year and wish I had bought a couple more.

I'm excited to see more micro-distilleries popping up here in the U.S. as well. It's a great time to be a booze lover!

I've really enjoyed the Four Roses Single Barrel I've tried recently. Some are phenomenal while others are just great. One of my local liquor stores (K&L Liquors) gets an exclusive barrel on occasion and their exclusive releases are really tasty bourbons. Just about the best I've had anywhere. I've also always been a fan of Elijah Craig 12yo and 18yo for the past 5-6 years.

So here are my top 5:

Four Roses K&L Single Barrel OBSK Cask Strength

Four Roses K&L Single Barrel OESV Cask Strength

Elijah Craig 18yo

Elijah Craig 12yo

Bookers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In no particular order:

Pappy Van Winkle 15

Bookers (I taste bacon fat when I drink this neat. I know you love bacon brazoseagle. If you have had this, maybe you know what im talking about!)

Buffalo Trace (Really a great value for the level of quality. I love this)

Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 1999 or 2000 (Another incredible deal. AWESOME. Absolutely nothing like its cheaper brothers)

WL Weller (Theres a bunch of em, any of them are awesome)

Thats my five.

Mike

We could be brothers...

• 2 weeks later...

Love me some bourbon.

In order of what I'm loving at the moment;

1. Elijah Craig 12yr (just opened my first and it's super nice)

2. Elmer T. Lee

3. Wood ford Reserve

4. Gentleman Jack (staple)

5. Makers Mark (just smooth and simple go-to)

1. Basil Hayden's

2. Knobs Creek

3. Bookers

4. Makers Mark

5. Jack Daniels Single Barrel

The top 3 are difficult to come by in this part of the world, we have very few variety of bourbon here.

Nice to see everyone's preferences/tastes. I enjoy Makers 46 and Knob Creek. And I just purchased a bottle of Noah's Mill and man is this a nice bourbon! This is a strong bourbon. The finish is long and there is this wonderful buttery aftertaste and there is plenty of nice vanilla and caramel notes to go around. This is one I will keep around.

-Sazerac 21 (actually a rye... most complex that I've had... wish I had picked up much more for $40/bottle years ago)

-Bookers

-Elmer T. Lee

-Blanton's

-1792 Ridgemont Reserve

All of the following are exceptional bourbons. As of right now the Blanton’s Gold Edition is my favorite.

Blanton’s Gold Edition

Blanton’s Silver Edition

Blanton’s Original Single Barrel

Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year

Basil Hayden’s

Booker’s

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Angel's Envy

Bookers

Bakers

Knob Creek

And of course my old standby Jim Beam Black.

I also am a HUGE fan of George Dickel #12.....as is Ray(Fishinguitarman).I also noticed many of you listed various Jack Daniel products(none of which I am familiar with,JD products taste like strong charcoal to me).Neither George Dickel or Jack Daniels is bourbon......they are Tennessee Whisky.I hate to get technical but it appeared many borbon noobs posted and it is important to know the difference.BTW since there are only 2 nationally available Tennesee whisky's I'll go ahead and say it.......If you want to taste Tennessee whisky the way it was meant to be(sweet corn and molasses)George Dickel #12 is absolutely in a league of its own.

Ron