Cabinet Humidor from antique liquor cabinet

Phillycyclocross

Grandparents were getting rid of some things and I ended up with a liquor cabinet. Since I don't drink liquor it was kind of pointless. I like the look of it. Great patina and it doesn't hurt that it came over from Cuba with them. Soooo.... I decided that I needed a bigger humidor and a better place to store my wine. SO the plan is to turn this beauty into a humidor/wine cooler. It also helps my dad is a woodworker. I'll post some better before pics and hopefully some progress pics. Anyone else ever attempt the same?

post-9909-0-72345500-1320023197.jpg

I am envious - I have no woorworking skills, but looks like a fun project.

About a decade ago, I acquired an empty victrola cabinet(in other words, the turntable and elec innards were long since gone).

I had a plan to gut it and turn it into a humidor. No wood shop, no skills and 5 moves in 11 years all accross the US didnt help. Cant even remember where i left it or who i gave it to.

Enjoy this project with your dad!

I did something similar with one of my built-in cabinets in my house (the house is about 100 years old and has solid wood built-ins in the dining room).

A good friend of mine had all the woodworking tools we needed plus some serious skills but it still took months due to the loooooong leadtime on the spanish cedar wood for the shelves and the lining. I also had to install a couple of outlets to power the electronic humidifier and the circulating fan.

It was fun and I am very proud of the results! You can see a little bit of it in my "stash" thread. Total cost for materials alone was about $500 (not counting the humidifier).

My first piece of advice: When working with spanish cedar wood, wear a mask at all times - the sawdust is toxic!

Good luck and have fun with the project :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys. Half the fun is designing it and watching it come together. Can't wait to fill (albeit slowly) it up with boxes upon boxes of CC's.

Looks very nice how you going to control humidity

Thanks. Right now I'm going to try a few bags of the beads. I'm just trying to avoid cutting a hole in the beautiful antique exterior for a fan. I'll see how the beads do and go from there.