What in the bloody hell?

So. I was out with some fellow FOH's (Lisa, Nick & Conor) smoking atop the Toronto Park Hyatt Hotel. Our view is below.

post-6763-0-26990100-1320257673.jpg

I had lit up a Quai D'Orsay Corona. My first ever. Halfway through the cigar I noticed a syrupy buildup at the head of the cigar. A series of brown bubbles if you will. :covermouth:

Horror below. Not the best picture though. Look at the darker spots a the 11, 1 and 5 positions. I poked my finger into the vile liquid. It was a rich brown, semitransparent nightmare. It smelled earthy. Disgusted, I pitched it halfway and then lit a nice HQ Monte 4.

A third of the way in..same thing! :tantrum: At first I thought the QdO was an anomaly. But when my second cigar behaved in the same way there had to be something causing this.

Either, the way I stored my cigars. Perhaps. But no other cigar from any of my humidors behaved like this. I keep the RH at 64-67. Temp was around 68F. The weather? I've smoked in colder weather. We were well protected from wind up there too. The only different thing I did was use a punch cut. These two cigars were my 2nd and 3rd time using one. It could also be the way I smoked the cigar. Maybe too fast? Caused it to overheat? Draw was fine on both cigars.

So. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Cheers,

Frank

post-6763-0-83928700-1320257666.jpg

Here are a couple of discussions which may be of interest:

Link1

Link2

Great links Colt.

Those Fuente shots made my issues look pale in comparison. Would love to hear a "technical" explanation as to why this happens. On my end. I can only surmise that the punch cut or puff rate was at fault. Two different cigars shouldn't behave that way unless it's a complete fluke.

Thats just nasty. Why bother with a punch when it may cause stuff like this to happen?

I didn't know that a punch cut would lead to this. If you follow Colt's second link you'll see an even worse example with a Fuente torpedo. There has to be an explanation besides the type of cut.

I have never had this happen, but I always use my Davidoff double edge guillotine cutter. I belive the punch style cut allows the tars to build up which leads to the nastiness. Sounds like your storage conditions are ideal, so do away with the punch cutter!

How was the draw on the cigars Frank? I've had this happen more than a few times unfortunately, and each time the draw is on the tight side.

My theory, and it's only just that, is that the tight draw causes the tar to travel up the cigar whereas a normal draw allows the air to flow around it. But whatever the cause is, it's most assuredly disgusting...be glad you didn't get any on your tongue, now that's horrific.

Joe

Would love to hear a "technical" explanation as to why this happens.

I can't recall ever reading a definitive answer to the question. But, since it did happen to you with different cigars, I guess we have to start looking at the night's commonalities.

One thing I looked at with the Fuente torp pic is that looking at the pics, to me, it does not seem like it was "smoked wet".

The world may never know...... :D

Tar and cigars,this was one manufacturer's answer.

"This grotesque syrup is somewhat of an enigma. We assume that it is sap left inside the stem of the leaf which doesn't evaporate during fermentation. It is extremely rare, but by far one of the most pungent and foul substances of the world. It has been my experience that cutting below the ooze usually ends the matter."

Frank do you blow the cigar between some draws?

I had a couple tar build ups in the past with NCs and CCs, but that happened from mid to end when the cigar tend to die down and you start relighting them. I started blowing into the cigars between few puffs from mid just to maintain the cherry and not bother relighting then never again had the build up since .

Not sure about technical reasons :thinking:

How was the draw on the cigars Frank? I've had this happen more than a few times unfortunately, and each time the draw is on the tight side.

My theory, and it's only just that, is that the tight draw causes the tar to travel up the cigar whereas a normal draw allows the air to flow around it. But whatever the cause is, it's most assuredly disgusting...be glad you didn't get any on your tongue, now that's horrific.

Joe

I'll second that. The only time it ever happens to me is when there is a very tight draw.

Yea, just wet tar (or "tar goop" as my friend calls it). No big deal, just re-cut the head. I've only had this happen 3-4 times, only once with a CC (PSD4).

It's absolutely true that the cut effects tar build-up. But my understanding is that tar is ALWAYS building up near the head when you smoke a cigar, it just usually stays in solid form. Tar is not all negative, imvho, in fact I think tar effects how dynamic a cigar is (how the profile changes over time as you smoke it). Tar is also the reason that cigars often get bitter towards the end, and the reason why a good "purge" will clean up that flavor (it burns off that excess tar). But that tar is usually solid.

The only time I've seen this wet tar junk is when using a smaller cut. A pyramide that you just cut off a bit of the tip, or a punch or a V cut, or a pigtail cap that you just rip off (i.e. leaving a small opening). I'd theorize that the smaller the opening, the greater likelihood of build-up.

This is rare and when it happens it's an easy fix, so I don't think it's any reason at all to stop using a punch or a V cut (which I prefer). I always have a cigar cutter with me when I burn one anyway, so this junk (annoying though it is) doesn't give me the slightest concern. I'm far more concerned about whether my cigar will draw at all when I cut it, lol.

Do you think altitude and air pressure could have any effect? It looks like you were a few feet up...?

We were 18 stories up. I've smoked at this spot dozens of times, even when it was cold.