Finally finished my Walk in Humidor

Hey Guys

I've been away from the forums for some time now. Been busy with having my first child and getting married and starting up my own Home Automation Company.

I had my basement finished in June and set aside my cold room for my walk in humidor but never got time to actually design and finish it. But i took some time to do so last week and after 2 weeks of work, I have finally finished the project.

When i designed my basement i decided to build it with a very modern look so i also incorporated it into my humidor. As you may notice from the pics I've only lined one wall with Spanish Cedar, I've also used modern looking shelves, both glass and floating mdf's. I figured because all my cigars are in boxes and half the walls I've lined with Spanish cedar that it will be sufficient.

What i'm using for humidification and temperature control is your regular honeywell humidifier and a ceramic heater and fan for circulation. I've tied the temperature equipment into my home automation system for temperature monitoring and control. A sensor detects the temperature and humidity and automatically turns on or off the humidifier and heater to ensure worry free temperature conrol. If the temperature falls or is too high, I will receive a text message on my phone and on all of my tv's and touchscreens in my home will have a popup message and voice alert if anything goes wrong including someone trying to get into my humidor. I can also monitor the temperature from my iphone, ipad or laptop from anywhere in the world.

I've attached some pictures and will have a video coming soon. Sorry prez for all the pics

post-6266-0-94083500-1321751399.jpg

post-6266-0-42576800-1321751412.jpg

post-6266-0-60704200-1321751422.jpg

post-6266-0-03569400-1321751433.jpg

post-6266-0-66412500-1321751444.jpg

post-6266-0-81719100-1321751457.jpg

post-6266-0-89555600-1321751472.jpg

post-6266-0-04941000-1321751490.jpg

post-6266-0-64738800-1321751513.jpg

post-6266-0-64685100-1321751536.jpg

Very nice setup and I wish you all the best with it, I would have a few concerns though, the ceramic heater option may be overkill, the dry heat convection those things throw out may overwhelm, the walk in, you may also want to keep a close eye on your lighting, spot lights and things like that can easily turn your walk in humi to a human vivarium! Lol

But it looks absolutley fantastice and your selection of smokes is right up my street, well done mate!

Thanks guys for your comments. Definitely will be adding more to my collection soon. I was waiting to build my humidor first. Just gotta hide them from the wifey. That's why I put locks on it. Lol.

Cohiba stevie - the ceramic heater was the only option to tie in with the home automaton system and it rarely turns on, maybe once every 2 or 3 hours for a minute only. The room is pretty well insulated. I'll be keeping a close eye on my babies. Also, the lighting is automated so the lights turn on and off when I open/close the door.

Look's great man! Love the digital screen on the wall too, I'm sure the pig will be very impressed with the setup too! :perfect10: Not sure how you managed to get all that made and sorted with a baby too! I take it the wifey doesn't know the code for the room, right? :D

you have an awesome walk in, yet really crappy cigars in there? Whats the deal... :surprised:

awesome stuff!

Is there really any need for this type of comment? This isn't CA...

Look's great man! Love the digital screen on the wall too, I'm sure the pig will be very impressed with the setup too! :perfect10: Not sure how you managed to get all that made and sorted with a baby too! I take it the wifey doesn't know the code for the room, right? :D

Is there really any need for this type of comment? This isn't CA...

I think Shlomo was joking Captain, seeing as he had he has some Cohiba GR, Behikes, etc... :D:perfect10: pretty awesome collection if you ask me....

Hi hovy

Thanks for the comments. I finished only partially for aesthetic reasons. So far I've had no issues regulating humidity and it's been consistent for two weeks. Knock On wood.

I put ceramic tiles not wood. I'd never put hardwood in a humidor.

The lights are not led's only the lights under the display shelves are. The system automatically turns on the lights when I unlock the door with my pin code and turn off the lights when I lock the door. The max time im in my humidor is less than 10 'minutes I can't see that as suffiicient time for it to drastically change the temperature in the humidor.

Yes there are vents on the top and bottom of the walls that circulate Air through ducts that have automatic fans to push air from above to below.

quote name='Hovy' timestamp='1321767178' post='269277']

Very nice setup. Particularly like the home linked monitoring. Enjoy in the best of health.

I have a few questions (please take this as constructive criticism, I had a walk-in finished recently and did follow the construction closely):

- Why not finish all the walls with cedar paneling? -> I see the current cedar panels more as decoration than functional. It will help regulate humidity.

- Do you have ceramic (or equivalent) tiles on the floor? -> Wood floors will rise with high humidity.

- Are the lights LEDs? -> If not, the room temperature can increase drastically and be potentially harmful (in case you forget to turn them off while existing).

- Do you have enough air circulation? -> It will prevent dry & damp patches and avoid multiple RH& readings. All of which translates to improper aging.

- Do you have a minimum of humidity escape? -> To prevent a vacuum sealed environment that could potentially cause mold (in the long run).

Very nice setup. But I agree with Hovy a bit. I'd be concerned about humidity / mold / etc. If that's just regular drywall panelling, there can be issues down the road, that's for sure. Same as with presumably unsealed lights, electrical outlets, door, etc. A humidor is a fully-lined cedar enclosure for a reason - to keep everything sealed, and to work with the high humidity constants. I'm also curious if your cedar is a commercial panelling, like used for spas and whatnot, and is a regular red cedar or something else, rather than a spanish cedar.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade at ALL. I love the overall design and what you've done. But I would just have concerns with things not being fully sealed, and also with some of the materials and whatnot being used. And, from one of your answers above, it sounds like this is tied in with your general ventilation system - this needs to be a sealed environment.

Just some thoughts.

I've carefully planned and designed this with the builder who built the humidor at the lcdh in Toronto.

All the walls are moisture and mold resistant. All lights electrical outlets are outdoor rated.

The cedar is not commercial panelling they are Spanish cedar planks purchased from a local wood supply store.

As for the ventilation system it's not tied into the homes system but it's own system for air circulation.

Thanks for the feedback"

Very nice setup. But I agree with Hovy a bit. I'd be concerned about humidity / mold / etc. If that's just regular drywall panelling, there can be issues down the road, that's for sure. Same as with presumably unsealed lights, electrical outlets, door, etc. A humidor is a fully-lined cedar enclosure for a reason - to keep everything sealed, and to work with the high humidity constants. I'm also curious if your cedar is a commercial panelling, like used for spas and whatnot, and is a regular red cedar or something else, rather than a spanish cedar.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade at ALL. I love the overall design and what you've done. But I would just have concerns with things not being fully sealed, and also with some of the materials and whatnot being used. And, from one of your answers above, it sounds like this is tied in with your general ventilation system - this needs to be a sealed environment.

Just some thoughts.

Extremely impressive, bravo :clap:!

Good luck with the stocking - up - financing - master - plan,

hope you have one :confused:.

Second mortgage? Hit the Jackpot?

Just kidding, enjoy and take care, Alex :peace:

That is some really fantastic workmanship. Congrats on your new walk-in humidor. Enjoy it...after all, you built it.