Cohiba 1966 LE - TAU JUL 11

asmith

Though I have found most merchants love them :lol::bsmeter:

What a classless thing to say.

Ken is not a merchant. Others who have posted here enjoying them are not merchants.

To this day I have never seen a cigar universally loved. The 1966 is no different and I have never discounted the cigar experiences and opinions of others. I don't go out of my way to denigrate them in order to achieve some pissweak personal high.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All joking aside about the reviews, I'm definitely interested in a box. I have always appreciated the cander in the posted reviews and have often found many of the flavors that have been shared.

Rob, how has the quality been on the boxes that you've opened?

As a customer, I am assuming that every box is PSP due to the price at which they are being sold. My expectation is that the premium price deserves a flawless end product.

All joking aside about the reviews, I'm definitely interested in a box. I have always appreciated the cander in the posted reviews and have often found many of the flavors that have been shared.

Rob, how has the quality been on the boxes that you've opened?

As a customer, I am assuming that every box is PSP due to the price at which they are being sold. My expectation is that the premium price deserves a flawless end product.

I haven't really seen enough boxes give this is our first shipment. What I have seen looks good box to box but no doubt there will be the Cuban screw up from time to time.

I shared a cigar with Artie Yesterday. He has purchased a box of the 1966 but at this point prefers the Behike 56. He called the 66 as all chocolate and caramel ...like smoking an easter egg. Not his thing. I love that profile.

Great review guys

These cigars sound brilliant will have to pick up a box

Love Kens shirt "I am not a Gynacologist but I'll have a look " :o

Cheers Oz :cigar:

PS hope you saved one for smithy :hole:

Does anyone know the pricing on these, inside and outside of Cuba?

Also, should this thread be in the video review section? Not a big deal but searched for it and didn't think to look here until after searching the review section.

Thanks.

241 cuc for a box of 10 in Cuba. Hard for me to justify buying too many of them when the Upmann Royal Robustos (which I love) are 69 cucs for 10.

I've only smoked one of these and that was at the festival back in February. At the time I couldn't smoke it, it was much too young and harsh, very strong. I must smoke one soon, they are getting great reviews now.

Couldn't resist and picked up half a box at the LCDH Stuttgart today. A lot of people were trying this there (they went through one and a half boxes while I was smoking my Des Dieux) and the general feedback was that they are good but that they are a bit young. An informal poll showed a preference for the BHK54 at this time. I will smoke one soon and let the remaining 4 sit for a good long while.

They gave me the nice box and outer box :D;)

These are pumped up and they are not very consistent in my experiences of 4 singles. IMHO they don't even touch a coro when on.

I have smoke three samples so far from three different vendors and mine have been all excellent, not that it will discredit that yours were not good. I have had great Cohiba Robustos as well but they in no way are on the same level from the 1966 that I smoked. I have been moving away from the whole EL craziness but after smoking the RA Extra and these, I have to admit that this year is special for EL's. This year up until I smoked the RA Extra the LGC Cuban RE was my fovorite cigar of this year, Much too expensive and near impossible to find a jar but The single I had was great. When I had the RA Extra I thought it to be just as good if not a tiny bit better. I was actually happy knowing that the RA EXtra were not too expensive (compared to the Cuabn RE) and that I could afford a box. I was set to buy a box...until I had the 1966. I wanted to not like it so I wouldn't have to shell out so much money, but as much as I wanted to hate them, I just couldn't. They are great cigars that even though expensive, from the tens of thousands of dollars I have spent on cigars in the last 3 years, none (with the exception of custom cigars made to my specs) have been this good for me. It is an no brainer for me to buy a box.

Jose

These are June 11 cigars where there has been no rest. Assessments (either way) on these may differ once they have rested in peoples home humidors for 90 days let alone a year.

However ROTT I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My fear is that I splurge on a box of these only to find that they taste exactly like Oliva O maduros or Casa Magnas and the like, which aren't bad cigars but cigars in which my palate has grown tired of.

Obviously, these things are subjective and there are no guarantees. But I admit I'm a little skeptical - which is not to say I doubt the

generally positive response to these. But it reminds me a bit of the 2006 Cohiba Piramide EL - many people find them terrific cigars. I've

smoked one a year over the past four years, the best being mediocre. I guess I tend to be a bit guarded when it comes to these things.

Over the years, many members have commented on ELs having a rather "generic" taste profile, along the lines of what you mentioned, often

lacking marque identity.

P.S. To try and be more clear, I trust, value, and respect the opinions of many of our members. I'm learning

to balance the findings of others with my own personal experiences.

Also, should this thread be in the video review section? Not a big deal but searched for it and didn't think to look here until after searching the review section.

Thanks.

We have always placed all new vids here in the Water Hole for one week before transferring them back.

That was an exercise in juxtaposition. To hear you guys enjoying a cigar and rating it so well, and yet carrying on with such incoherent commentary... it cracks me up. I can only imagine there were some gems in the bits that didn't get recorded... but we'll never know.

Do you cover Smithy's drinking habit as an incentive to overcome the occupational hazard?

Seriously though, that cigar sounds amazing. One to hand out at my passing (wouldn't that be a classy touch?).

I had the chance to smoke through a few of these this past week in Havana. I smoked a "young" Behike 56 and a 1966 back to back and my initial thoughts were that the 1966 were good, really good. But these are, for lack of a better term a "rustic" cigar, when compared to the Behike. The Behike's are sweeter, lighter and far better constructed than the 1966. For me the 1966 are a cross between the Behike and the Maduro line but I am expecting my impressions to change with time.

What a classless thing to say.

Ken is not a merchant. Others who have posted here enjoying them are not merchants.

To this day I have never seen a cigar universally loved. The 1966 is no different and I have never discounted the cigar experiences and opinions of others. I don't go out of my way to denigrate them in order to achieve some pissweak personal high.

Classless? Calling me out in public? First off let me say that I will judge a cigar honestly wether it's crap or an excellent product. I did not denigrate ones opinion of this cigar, just the cigar. Which I feel is a bad product.

Pissweak? Me? Now that's funny and it's best that I just consider that a friendly poke.

The merchant comment was a joke noted by the emoticons that are provided. The contexts of which were nowhere off base to comparison of other humor and bagging made here. If you took that as a personal stab than you shouldn't have. Ive seen much worse tolerated.

If you need to speak to me further Rob you have my number.

Classless? Calling me out in public? First off let me say that I will judge a cigar honestly wether it's crap or an excellent product. I did not denigrate ones opinion of this cigar, just the cigar. Which I feel is a bad product.

Pissweak? Me? Now that's funny and it's best that I just consider that a friendly poke.

The merchant comment was a joke noted by the emoticons that are provided. The contexts of which were nowhere off base to comparison of other humor and bagging made here. If you took that as a personal stab than you shouldn't have. Ive seen much worse tolerated.

If you need to speak to me further Rob you have my number.

No need to speak further at all on this point.

When I do reviews I wear my punter hat. If not then everything newly released would be 96 and brilliant and I would have sold more than one box of Monte Open/ PSD No 5 (LE/Standard)/Trini Short Robusto etc etc nor be hauled into countless communique and meetings with the powers that be because I am not a "supporter" of HSA. They can go to buggery.

You called me out in public. Hang on....let me find a Smiley to ensure it is all OK :D

...all chocolate and caramel ...like smoking an easter egg. Not his thing. I love that profile.

Those few words just sold me more than the whole review vid ;)

Wow. Exact same here.

I've been planning to spend all my spare ducats over the next two to three months on setting aside a RA Allones Extra EL 2011 fund. I've been planning just to focus on getting a half dozen boxes or so set aside of those. Now, I may have to slay that by maybe a box (or not), and will now also potentially have to focus on grabbing a box of these '66s.

I like having some nice Cohiba's in the humidor. No, I'm not a fanboy per-say of these, but I do like some great CoRo's, Lanceros, Espy's, and Sig IV's. But, I've never been up to the additional hype that Cohiba EL's seem to garner, and their usually out-of-proportion higher costs then.

But, with this review, and the above statements, that may indeed change to me needing to get a box for long-term treats. Sounds very interesting, hmmmm. The devil is definitely now perched on my shoulder....

That's what I'm wondering too ... though maybe we don't want to know, lol. I'd be all over it if there were singles or an LE 5er sampler at some point (with this one, RA, H. Upmann, Monte, HdM).

As posted here before by the Prez, they are $420/box from Czar

I know what Rob and crew would like for Christmas...

An HD camera to get out of the stone ages and improve the look and feel of their reviews 10 fold.

Got to love when Rob and Ken get together with no one around but the snakes and the spiders! Cheers.