A Song of Ice and Fire

Fitz

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone else was a fan of this epic series of books and / or had watched the HBO adaptation of part 1 'A Game of Thrones'?

I have spent far too much time reading these of late, but saying that its always a good excuse for a smoke on the garden..

I started reading the series before "storm" was released and just recently finished "Dance". Fantastic series, and HBO did a great adaptation for TV. Can't wait for the 2nd season!

Just finishing 'Feast for Crows' at present, hoping to find 'Dance with Dragons' in my stocking this Christmas.

Season 2 starts in April, looking forward to seeing the new characters brought to life.. Go Stannis!

On book 5 now. Tv adaptation was very literal and true to the book. Looking forward to season 2...

for sure they've got the author as a producer of the show... good on HBO!

warning to all those out there, "A Feast for Crows" vol. 4? is Very poor compared to first three. Author suffered from writer's block for a long time and it shows. i'd recommend skim reading a lot of the boring and irrelevant stuff in here where there is little or no relevant action, poor characterisation, and a lot of tedious "writing my way out of a writer's block". some precious hours of lost sleep i wish i could reclaim.

Vol.5 gets better again with some action relevant to the overarching plot and some of the good characters back in, but still not quite worth the first three...

warning to all those out there, "A Feast for Crows" vol. 4? is Very poor compared to first three. Author suffered from writer's block for a long time and it shows. i'd recommend skim reading a lot of the boring and irrelevant stuff in here where there is little or no relevant action, poor characterisation, and a lot of tedious "writing my way out of a writer's block". some precious hours of lost sleep i wish i could reclaim.

Vol.5 gets better again with some action relevant to the overarching plot and some of the good characters back in, but still not quite worth the first three...

Agreed, though I was reluctant to say so beacuse I didn't want to turn folks off to the series. I was even more disappointed with Dance because 4 was incredibly boring and STILL things from Storm are not resolved. I hate to say this but I fear George may be veering into Robert Jordan (R.I.P.) territory with this series (incredible start, tedious and looooong finish.) I'm hoping Winds will deliver the goods.

Good points and I agree with you Kiwi and Luke. I can skim/speed read, so I just whip through it. I want to say it was book 3 that the real action and twists occurred.

Either way, I am happy to have something to read. Being a fan of Tolkien, nothing has been able to keep me interested until this, but I think it has more to do with me stumbling back into books...

I have enjoyed all five books. Agree that book 4 was the slowest/worst. I feel like the author got overwhelmed by the sheer volume of characters and storylines and book four was used to tell all the minor plot lines at once. In any case I plowed through the five books and am looking forward to the sixth. I have not seen the HBO series.

Sadly...I'd never heard of them and haven't watched the HBO Series...

1st 3 are definitely worth a read! he is no tolkien and this is not really "high" fantasy, but it has other qualities: the plot, the plot, and ... the plotting dwarf? ;-)

when i tried the first one, i thought - this reads like a tv series script. and sure enough, this guy Martin has written a lot of tv scripts as well. (and then the tv series started filming couple years later LOL). Rollicking page turners with a modern, cynical edge to them, but still squarely part of the medieval fantasy genre. Unlikely to disappoint unless you ain't keen on sex, violence, and slightly amoral outcomes...

• 3 months later...

Season 2 less than a month away baby!

As much as I want the party to get started... It would be awesome if the season 2 premiere was an April fools joke.

• 1 year later...

Decent show though this season has strayed from the books a bit more than I would like.

The fight between Sandor and Lord Beric was impressive. Dinklage (Tyrion) and Coster-Waldau (Kingslayer) are beyond excellent in their respective roles. I just wish they had left the extra Sansa Stark and Margaery Tyrell scenes on the cutting room floor.

• 4 weeks later...

just saw this thread and had no idea it was a few years old. by chance, i ordered the first of the books last week. not seen the shows but hear good things. will probably wait till all done then order them as a set and watch right through.

Saw the latest episode last night (season3episode9)....what the f*ck! Wife and I woke up this morning still in shock.

Saw the latest episode last night (season3episode9)....what the f*ck! Wife and I woke up this morning still in shock.

Just saw it as well... Now I'm off to cry myself to sleep...

Saw the episode last night, woke up to find my jaw still hadn't returned from the floor. Ridiculously good scene, can't even imagine how the season finale will top that.