A Song of Ice and Fire

Fitz

Just finished watching episode 9 of season 3...

So many people had talked about it and I managed to avoid a spoiler but I still wasn't expecting it.

I think It will go down as a moment in tv history.

I've read the first book so will make a start on the second soon.

Amazing series!

for sure they've got the author as a producer of the show... good on HBO!

warning to all those out there, "A Feast for Crows" vol. 4? is Very poor compared to first three. Author suffered from writer's block for a long time and it shows. i'd recommend skim reading a lot of the boring and irrelevant stuff in here where there is little or no relevant action, poor characterisation, and a lot of tedious "writing my way out of a writer's block". some precious hours of lost sleep i wish i could reclaim.

Vol.5 gets better again with some action relevant to the overarching plot and some of the good characters back in, but still not quite worth the first three...

just started the first book and loving it. about 100 pages in - with a mag 48 but so fricking cold in macedon that my hands were freezing. disappointed to hear that they are not all this standard but i figure that if the bloke writes 4 or 5 books and all but one are this good, we can forgive him. i'll certainly keep going.

but will wait till all the series are out before watching the adaptation.

just started the first book and loving it. about 100 pages in - with a mag 48 but so fricking cold in macedon that my hands were freezing. disappointed to hear that they are not all this standard but i figure that if the bloke writes 4 or 5 books and all but one are this good, we can forgive him. i'll certainly keep going.

but will wait till all the series are out before watching the adaptation.

The difficulty is avoiding spoilers. I'm currently working through book 2 but every time there is an advert for the series on TV I need to quickly avert my eyes!

The difficulty is avoiding spoilers. I'm currently working through book 2 but every time there is an advert for the series on TV I need to quickly avert my eyes!

easy for me. apparently it is on one of the cable channels. i've never bothered - already too much to watch. so don't think i've ever seen an ad for it.

I'm finding that reading the book after watching on TV is better ( like the shock value of not knowing what is about to happen, characters on TV bring a different facet tothe book characters, plus the books and show differ on some key points...). Compliment each other well. Almost finished book 1 at the moment, and the detailed narrative has painted a broader and more immersive experience ( plus provided some ' oh I get it now' moments).

get on the plane to come home this morning and the bloke next to me not only has the same volume of 'game of thrones' but the same actual edition - interesting as i got mine from amazon and not australia and usually completely different editions when you do that.

plus we were almost on the very same page.

do-do, do-do, do-do.....

• 4 weeks later...

So, just finished book 4.... the worst of the series...by far. Gonna start book 5 tonight or tomorrow. It better return to the greatness of book 3, otherwise I may just stop reading.

Hugely disappointing 4th book.

The show is very good, but the books, as usual, are far superior imo.

It's very well known that the author had quite a struggle with writers block while writing the fourth book, it's widely regarded as the poorest of the series. I remain confident and can forgive GRRM for having a miss, ive heard from many that he's back to form in the remaining books.