10 Things I Learned in Basic Training....

So, I've actually been meaning to do this thread for a few months now.

As many of you may know, or not know (Well, I'm baaaaaaaccccckkkkkkkk.........), I recently joined the Canadian Forces, slated in as a member of the Military Police. I went away from April to August for "Basic Training" (or Basic Military Qualification, as it's called in the CF), and here's a bit of what I learned....

1. Making beds suck. Making beds with "hospital corners" suck more. Making beds with "hospital corners", with only about 1/4" of variance on any side/angle, with only about 5 minutes to make it from scratch, and with the overwhelming threat of getting excessively yelled at during morning inspections, really, REALLY sucks!
  2. Some staff at Basic Training suck.... ;)

3. Okay, okay. Most staff at Basic Training don't suck. Some are phenomenal - all of mine I got were really awesome ones, who passed along some invaluable wisdom. That said, there still are tough ones. But, the good thing that I learned is.....they can't touch/beat you any more! :thumbsup::forkyou::whip:
  4. I'm awesome at shining boots!
  5. I'm HORRIBLE at ironing! (Thank gawd for dry cleaners! That, and bartering deals with other platoon-mates! LOL.)
  6. "Arty sims" just absolutely rock....

7. "Arty sims" just absolutely suck! Those videos really don't give any justice to them - they have one heck of a concussive force to them. Especially when one (or a couple dozen of them) go off at 3 or 4 or 5 in the morning to wake you up! "Stand to!!!!!"
  8. Oh yeah - "stand to's" suck. This is when your FOB (forward operating base) or bivouac site (primitive tent camping, but with weapons, and in a war-posturing) comes under attack. You then have to "stand to", and get to your defensive position, sometimes for hours, in rain and cold if need be, with no sleep at all, and watch your defensive firing-position's arc, to ensure that no enemy can encroach on your location. They're long and tiring. Necessary and critical, yes. But they still suck.
  9. Being away from home, with your wife and son stuck back there, sucks. Now....missing your 5th wedding anniversary, and your son's 3rd birthday, REALLY sucks. But, we did have the chance to celebrate both events on separate weekends, so that definitely helped. But, it still sucked.
  10. Now, last but not least...IF you go through all this, and you stick with it, and see all 14 weeks through to completion, does it suck? NO!!! This is probably THE hardest thing I've done to date in my life, doing it at 32-years-old (and competing with 18- to 20-somethings). Probably the hardest is to go in as that 32-year-old, a "grown up", but to submit my headstrong self to be ordered around and treated like a child again, being shown how to crawl/walk/run again. But, it's also been one of the most challenging things in a good way, and one of the best things. I'm still waiting to get finished up with my training by getting going with my police academy training in the New Year - then, I'll be fully and actually "working" at what I want to do. But, this whole past experience of the past year has been an invaluable learning experience for me. What's this 10th item I've learned from this? That even though things may seem insurmountable, even though things may be tough as nails to do, and it may suck, that there's a goal line at the end to cross. And if you do so, and you motivate yourself and focus yourself and have a dedication to the task at hand (like I tried to do), then out of your platoon of 54 recruits (we started with 62, and while losing some, gaining a handful along the way also), you can finish at the top of your game, and in one of the top rankings, to be able to "lead" your platoon as top recruit, in the Platoon Commander position for the parade on graduation day, as I had the honour to do....
    post-6965-0-74977200-1323221460.jpg
    post-6965-0-99702000-1323221473.jpg
    post-6965-0-11174900-1323221487.jpg
    post-6965-0-16228500-1323221511.jpg
    post-6965-0-91246600-1323222032.jpg
    post-6965-0-72216400-1323221521.jpg
    post-6965-0-06443500-1323221533.jpg

Congrats, and thanks. We always need good men willing to fight for democracy, if need be.

Good that those young recruits had an 'old guy' to look up to.

:rotfl:

Strong work.

Are they promoting you to Corporal in that pic?

Now... if you're interested in earning some foreign jump wings... or shooting badges... let me know. I've got some connections that I think you could benefit from.

Congrats, and thanks. We always need good men willing to fight for democracy, if need be.

Good that those young recruits had an 'old guy' to look up to.

:rotfl:

LOL. I wasn't the oldest, but I was 4th from the top in age. I had a 33-, 35-, and 40-year-old ahead of me.

Nevertheless, as the only MP on that whole platoon, I sometimes got some playful ribbing as "grampa piggy". LOL. :rolleyes:

Strong work.

Are they promoting you to Corporal in that pic?

Yes. As MP's, that's how we're hired, due to the additional requirements that are placed on us for coming in with specific schooling/diplomas, and outside experience/courses/qualifications.

Regarding the other, feel free to PM me any details. I'm game for just about anything, if it's allowed by my higher-ups, and it fits within my timelines for my trade training.

Overall, thanks fellas. Appreciate everything from this forum to date in the support that I've been lucky enough to have received during this year's whole ordeal with all of this - definitely a lifestyle upheaval.

Yes. As MP's, that's how we're hired, due to the additional requirements that are placed on us for coming in with specific schooling/diplomas, and outside experience/courses/qualifications.

Regarding the other, feel free to PM me any details. I'm game for just about anything, if it's allowed by my higher-ups, and it fits within my timelines for my trade training.

Overall, thanks fellas. Appreciate everything from this forum to date in the support that I've been lucky enough to have received during this year's whole ordeal with all of this - definitely a lifestyle upheaval.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

As for most of the stuff I can set you up with... it would require a trip to Europe. If that is a deal killer, let me know. If not, I'll send you more details. (Some of the dates are being set up now.) Most of the events are in Germany or Czech Republic. (Although, this year there may be some in Poland and/or Italy.)

AND......probably the BEST thing that I learned while I was in Basic Training is that I'm going to be a father again!

LOL. My wife will probably KILL ME for not putting that in my top-ten list! LOL. Oooops!

But, while I was about mid-way through the training, I got a message from my wife to call home. Calling home that night, she asked me if I was sitting down. My response? "What did you do to my truck?!!?!" After some select four-letter words from her, she said, "Remember how you came home during the holiday weekend and surprised me? Well....surprise!!!"

She had gone off of her birth control when I started at Basic Training, as we were planning to start trying for a second child once I got done at the end of summer. But, with me being granted leave for a holiday weekend after five weeks in, it was a GOOOOOOOOOOOD holiday weekend! LOL.

So, I know I've mentioned it a bit around the forum, and with some of the Canadian members, about how my wife's expecting. But, I don't think I've officially really announced it on here (I was going to at one point, but then I didn't want to distract from Lisa's limelight either) - so there we are, it's all announced now.

Potential due date is at the start of February, and no, we have no idea on boy/girl yet (want it to be a surprise, just like our son was).

Starting to get very excited for that also now!

Congrats on the basic training completion and HUGE congrats on the baby to be!!!

And I was great at making my rack in basic training. Although most of us made our bed once a week and slept on top of it. Probably how I came down with pneumonia half way through.

Congrats mate! I used to be in the Canadian forces as well. Lemme tell ya even though at times its like being in hell there is no better feeling than the feeling of accomplishment! Again congrats! All the best!

A-W-W-W, don't you look k-e-e-y-u-u-u-t-e! :wub: The little dittie with Gunnary Sgt. Hartman (R. Lee Ermey is a real-life D.I.) is indeed on-target...I was gonna join the Marines but I let an Army E-7 talk me out of it and I joined the Army instead! :rolleyes: And there is a wise old saying from way back; "What may be bitter to endure may be sweet to remember." And you'll look fondly back over these experiences for years to come. Congrats to you on "surviving" and accomplishing your training/induction. Again, Congratulations :clap:

Congratulations on becoming a two-time Dad! Not quite equal but still extremely important, congrats on the training. :perfect10:

It's nice to know our Canadian family is training good men and women to protect North America.

Congratulations Keith and to the expectation for Little Keith(is it a boy?)

Thinking back it's 46 1/2 years ago that I went to Basic Training but at times it felt like a vacation with some excursions(I was with a none combat unit).

Anyways it is a nice post.