South Florida-Florida Bay -Keys

Miami101

The fishing has been great, and my cigar stock is getting low once again. You can see up to, and over 30 fish in one trip. Also the weather is in the 60's to 70's.

The winds have been blowing from 15 to 25 at times, and the tides have been very low.

Around this time fish start to move into the back country, and other types of fish start to show up on the front side like King, and Mackles, big Jacks, Permits, etc. Also all the birds have started to migrate down for the winter.

I hope to do a few more trips soon into the back country, and front side.

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

great stuff. what is the fish that looks a bit trout like on the back half but a flatter head? spotty skin.

and good tarpon? catch and release? on fly? or?

The fish that looks like a Trout is a Sea Trout, or Weak Fish. I release all, but two Red's that did not make it.

The rules are you only allow one Red fish per person that must measure above 18 in. Most of the Red fish we are seeing are around 21 to 25. Red's can get very big above 40 in...and fight very hard.

Tarpon was on the Spin Rod I have been taking my Fly Rod on our trips but the winds are not on my side. Maybe back side, or summer time the water get flat, and there is no wind.

Those Tarpon fight like nothing I have seen before, and once you get them on the boat they try to self destruct. In other words these fish are so wild that they try to kill them selfs some times on the boat. We started bring the net to avoid this....

We run into the 100 plus Tarpon, but they are very hard to land.

The fish that looks like a Trout is a Sea Trout, or Weak Fish. I release all, but two Red's that did not make it.

The rules are you only allow one Red fish per person that must measure above 18 in. Most of the Red fish we are seeing are around 21 to 25. Red's can get very big above 40 in...and fight very hard.

Tarpon was on the Spin Rod I have been taking my Fly Rod on our trips but the winds are not on my side. Maybe back side, or summer time the water get flat, and there is no wind.

Those Tarpon fight like nothing I have seen before, and once you get them on the boat they try to self destruct. In other words these fish are so wild that they try to kill them selfs some times on the boat. We started bring the net to avoid this....

We run into the 100 plus Tarpon, but they are very hard to land.

really interesting stuff. big tarpon very high on the list.

and what would you prefer to be called - a magnificent sea trout? or a weak fish?

Thanks for sharing the pics. Looks like a great time! You guys are dressed like its in the 30's! 60 F and I would be in shorts and a t-shirt sippin ice cold beer! But I am Canadian! :)

really interesting stuff. big tarpon very high on the list.

and what would you prefer to be called - a magnificent sea trout? or a weak fish?

On the Sea Trout they fight good, and I see them get up to 20 in..In groups they will hit almost any fly..

The Tarpon those are monsters I seen nothing that fights like it. I lost over five rods to them this month...will post the photo of the Rods...

Looks like you had a great time dispite the high winds! I find it interesting how during the winter redfish will become silvery colored sometimes. Looking at this post makes me realize I need to get my fishing fix!

On a side note, what are your preferred bait/flies for fishing south florida?

On the Sea Trout they fight good, and I see them get up to 20 in..In groups they will hit almost any fly..

The Tarpon those are monsters I seen nothing that fights like it. I lost over five rods to them this month...will post the photo of the Rods...

Were all your fish caught on a fly rods? Five rods ouch. Your pics always make me so home sick. Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Looks like a great time! You guys are dressed like its in the 30's! 60 F and I would be in shorts and a t-shirt sippin ice cold beer! But I am Canadian! :)

That would be fine until your face burned off.?