Por Larranaga Regalias de Londes UK RE 2010

Lotusguy

Smoke time: 1:15

Paired with Aberlour 12YO

Gorgeous medium-brown wrapper with no spots and very little veining. Best-looking cigar band EVER.

Prelight: Cut with scissors. Slight resistance to the draw. Hay, tobacco.

Start: Generous amount of smoke. Pepper tickles the back of the throat on the first few puffs but then retreats to be only felt at the exhale through the nose.

First third: Caramelized roasted almonds. Slight spice remains in the nose but gets weaker. Razor-sharp burn. Sweet-nutty. Whiskey threatens to overwhelm the subtle taste so only taking a few small sips during the smoke. Creamy like a good latte. Medium body. Unusually long lingering aftertaste after every puff. Tastes a bit like butterscotch but with nuts. Slight spice comes in and out. More refined than a typical PL, but the taste is there. By comparison, the PL Encantos was much more rough and raw – maybe because it was a year younger?

Second third: Ash holding on until end of first third. Best way to describe it would be like a butterscotch melted in a latte. Still lots of smoke on every puff. Smooth, smooth, smooth. Haven’t had so much smoothness since my first BHK54. Should have paired with a coffee or a nice, aged Rum instead of Single Malt. Nuttiness more pronounced after taking a sip of the Whiskey – more like peanut brittle. Not a powerhouse cigar by any means. Total and utter lack of harshness. Would be great even for a novice smoker. If it wasn’t so expensive, this would be one of my favorite lunch smokes. A bit of Monte “twang” coming in now. Hints of fruit… not cherries, more like blackcurrant. Never tasted that in a cigar before. Spice has faded away by midpoint. Still burns very evenly – no corrections required. Savoring the lingering aftertaste with every puff. Towards the end of the 2nd third, tastes more and more like a good Monte #2.

Last third: Gets nuttier after ashing again. Still extremely smooth and creamy. If a Parti Shorts tastes like a leather sofa, this cigar tastes like a silk chair from the court of Louis the 13th :D . Burn needs one correction. More nuts. Smoking rather slowly so not to overheat the cigar. A bit more robust and the spice comes back towards the end but still far from harsh. Remains medium-bodied through the end. Nubbed it until I smelled burning flesh ;)

Final score: 95.5 (the .5 is for that gorgeous band) – a must-try that redeems many mediocre REs and puts the Encantos in a corner.

post-7384-0-55506800-1323758513.jpg

• 1 month later...

Claus, I just had the chance to read this review now. Well done man, really awesome review. And yes, I now get what you were talking about last night when you were discussing this cigar, the overall flavour profile, paired with that beautiful band.

I'd say that band is definitely neck-and-neck with the RA EL 2011 band, that's for sure. ;):P

Cheers.

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

I have since had another couple that were equally good. I wish I had space and $$$ for another box at this time.

Great Great Review! The UK Regional edition has always been reputable of being in good quality ( flavour wise and of course band wise). The RA Belicosos, LA Gloria Glorisos, ERDM, and Punch series D'or No.1 are all great cigars, now their little brother is in town to join the parade.

Need to give it a try later on.

It's cool. My two year old doesn't seem like college material anyway, so I just used his college money.

Fair enough, they have to find their own way in life....

and it's not like you're flittering it away...